Author Topic: First Time To The Range  (Read 12925 times)

Offline renrew

• Sharpshooter
First Time To The Range
« on: March 24, 2013, 06:01:29 PM »
I just recently bought the R9 Tribute and have not fired it until today as I was waiting for the Gold Dot 124 grain ammo I bought.  I got to the range and put 30 rounds or 6 mags of Gold Dot's through the gun without any trace of a problem.  I was pleasantly surprised to see the gun was accurate, reliable, and not hard to shoot.

Thank you to all the members for all the great insightful info on this forum.  I am please with this wonderful little gun.

W-

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: First Time To The Range
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 07:21:33 PM »
Congratulations on the R9 Tribute, and thank you for that range report. You have a real masterpiece there that should serve you well for many years to come.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline renrew

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 08:11:31 PM »
Richard,
I am cleaning the gun and read an old post about lubrication.  Do you use lube over oil for the R9?

I picked up some Super Lube.  In the past I have just used oil on my Sig's.

Thanks,
W-

Offline renrew

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 08:37:28 PM »
I just read they no longer recommend lube.  I just used Hoppe's 9 and trust that is o.k.

Very impressed with this fine firearm!

W-

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 10:55:10 PM »

Just continue what you have been doing with your Sigs. The factory no longer recommends Super Lube synthetic grease or any other grease. There are many excellent gun oil lubricants available now.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 11:20:45 AM »
Richard,
I am cleaning the gun and read an old post about lubrication.  Do you use lube over oil for the R9?

I picked up some Super Lube.  In the past I have just used oil on my Sig's.

Thanks,
W-

What Tracker said.

I now use Frog Lube CLP oil, having switched from Ballistol due to my wife's aversion to the latter's odor. ("The things we do for love.")
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Buffalo

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 07:55:21 AM »
Hi,

One quick question.

Why is Super Lube synthetic grease no longer recommended?  Until recently I thought it was preferred over oil on this fine guns.

Thanks
“If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
― The Dalai Lama (May 2001)

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 08:51:53 AM »
I think because Eric Rohrbaugh put these pictures out and I cannot believe someone would put this much grease on a pistol.  Super lube is a good product and I use it on many pistols including my Rohrbaugh but anyone who globs this much grease on any firearm is asking for trouble, especially a small alloy frame pistol like the R9.  It will attract dirt like flypaper.

JMO

http://www.acbsystems.com/boards/rohrbaugh/basefile/r9-lube.htm
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 09:03:17 AM by MRC »

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 09:16:46 AM »
Hi,

One quick question.

Why is Super Lube synthetic grease no longer recommended?  Until recently I thought it was preferred over oil on this fine guns.

Thanks

It is my understanding, subject to correction, that in addition to the tendency of all grease to attract "pocket dreck," the change in recommendation was also made because Super Lube was found to become viscous (i.e.,"tacky") in cold tempertures, such as when the pistol had to be left locked in an automobile for an extended period in winter months.

The R9 was a new design introduced in 2002 and released to the public in 2004. As experience with the pistol grew, recommendations for its maintenance were adapted accordingly.

As MRC notes, Super Lube is an excellent product. I used to apply it to the wear points of my own R9 with each cleaning, and I still use it on some of my firearms that have more generous tolerances than the R9. For the R9, however, I now simply use the Frog Lube CLP mentioned above.

[Edit: Corrected typo.]
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 03:17:41 PM by Richard S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline docboss

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 03:44:17 PM »
Once my Stealth was "seasoned" with Frog Lube it proved to be very easy to clean, and I can do it without wearing gloves. Great lubricant with no smell. The gun feels dry and I don't worry about oil or grease on my clothing. Congrats.  ;)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 08:04:08 PM »
FrogLube rocks:

"For those of you who aren’t aware, FrogLube is a plant-based, non-toxic, non-petroleum, non-flammable, biodegradable, American made cleaning, lubricating, and protecting product for firearms. Oh, and it’s also USDA Certified Biobased, and FDA certified food grade."

Not recommended for a postprandial libation, however.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 08:12:04 PM by tracker »

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 12:37:30 PM »
I have had great luck with EEZOX as recommended by L. Seecamp for his pistols...it worked so well on my LWS .32 that I now use it on the R9 with excellent results...only problem is that you should leave the pistol disassembled overnight to let the EEZOX dry, and some don't like the sweet smell.

Frog lube sounds like the way to go...I'll round some up and try it when the EEZOX is gone.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2013, 03:53:42 PM »
FrogLube rocks:

"For those of you who aren’t aware, FrogLube is a plant-based, non-toxic, non-petroleum, non-flammable, biodegradable, American made cleaning, lubricating, and protecting product for firearms. Oh, and it’s also USDA Certified Biobased, and FDA certified food grade."

Not recommended for a postprandial libation, however.

It's so good that I'm considering its functionality as an aftershave lotion.    ;)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2013, 05:54:28 PM »
No doubt that FrogLube would work better as an aftershave lotion than my aftershave lotion functioned as a shoe shine enhancement at OCS in Newport one bright early morning. During morning inspection my company commander strongly suggested that I use the Mennen on my face and stay with Kiwi for the shoes. I think FrogLube would have been better than the Mennen that produced a shine like a Baby Ruth bar. Sorry for the thread drift.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 06:14:26 PM by tracker »

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2013, 06:22:57 PM »
Ahhh . . . OCS.  That's where I first learned to love the smell of Brasso in the morning. But I too digress.   8)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"