Author Topic: Took 5 handguns to the range today  (Read 3646 times)

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Took 5 handguns to the range today
« on: August 03, 2014, 09:09:31 PM »
1.  R9 Covert:  Again used my rather extensive supply of Lawman 115.  All fired flawlessly.  I'm still getting 2 fliers out of 7 rounds...lousy trigger and followup control on my part. Age, arthritic wrists/hands and some tremor in recent years likely the culprit...still, blew away the 9-10 ring with the ones that hit.  Wore a shooting glove.

2.  Kimber Solo:  missing a grip screw upper left...awaiting replacement.  Used Gold Dot 124...had 3 failure to fully eject.  One could, perhaps (unlikely) have been a limp wrist effort, but I really don't think so.  I don't see how the missing grip screw could have any bearing on the issue.  Maybe other ammo would be preferred?    I'm pretty sure that I captured the trigger spring during reassembly after the last range trip (which went well).  The dang thing was much easier to control and consequently more accurate than the R9 with less felt recoil (no glove).  I'll keep working with this one, but cannot trust it for carry.

3.  Boberg XR9S:  I really love this pistol...fired Lawman 115, Gold Dot 124, with I had some +P, but none available.  Very accurate with aimed or rapid fire, even at greater distances than my usual 7-10 yards.  Little felt recoil.  No FTF's or other issues.  It's OK for pocket carry with cargo pants, but I like it better IWB.  With +P ammo and 8 rounds instead of 7, a real contender for daily carry.

4.  S&W 640CT (my wife's):  Blazer 158 .38...I have trouble with short barrel revolvers...continually fire left or left low.  With some work, started banging the 9-10 rings but still slightly left.;  Also used some Hornady CD 110 .38 with similar results.  Of course, all went "bang."

5.  S&w M&P 340 CT .357 mag:  used  Blazer 158 .38, Hornady CD 110 .357 mag.  Initially, again, pulling low left with the 10# trigger pull.  Very accurate with slow aimed fire.  With practice, deadly with rapid fire, if somewhat left with one flier out of every five shots...I'll be OK in a panic situation but don't always do as well with aimed fire.  When I just point and shoot, they all (mostly) group where they should.  The M&P was a low-cost score at a gun show Saturday, and a very impressive handgun with a Trijicon front sight and Crimson Trace Grips.  Very tight and very light (and hardly used, with box and all paperwork, fired shell, etc. but no warranty card), but with the ammo I use, at least, not at all abusive on recoil.

Temperature at 11 a.m. in the Smokey Mountains was about 76, low humidity, sunny with a light breeze.  Life is good!
Regards to all,
John
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
Re: Took 5 handguns to the range today
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 10:48:08 PM »
Thanks for the range report

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 11:10:02 AM »
John:

That sounds like a great day in the Great Smoky Mountains of East Tennessee!

If Joyce continues her current course of improvement on home health care, I shall be moving her from our daughter's home in Middle Tennessee back to Critter Creek the weekend of September 27-28. The "Lord Have Mercy Hospital and Hotel" is about to go mobile in a MASH-style "bug out."
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 02:09:10 PM »
Richard, congrats to you and to Joyce in getting through this unimaginably difficult medical disaster; All credit to your daughter and to your medical team as well.
John
Endur Fortis
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis