Author Topic: response time and www.hitsunlimited.com  (Read 3836 times)

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
response time and www.hitsunlimited.com
« on: August 24, 2006, 07:37:49 PM »
My forum response time has been increasing lately.

I frequently see a message at the bottom of the screen which says:

Waiting for www.hitsunlimited.com....

Is anyone else suffering from this?

Thanks,

Bill

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: response time and www.hitsunlimited.com
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 10:18:59 PM »
Seems OK here Bill - I would suggest tho you have aquired a small worm/spyware deal, from somewhere.

It has probably written itself into the registry somewhere or even dumped a small file - run some anti-spyware stuff and see if you can locate it.  It is not something that should normally come up.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 11:41:33 PM »
Hi  Chris,

I ran a couple of Spyware-type monitors and nothing was detected.

Perhaps I've got things tightened up too much, not permitting some  cookies, advertisements, etc.  

This seemed to just happen, so I was curious if anyone else noticed it.

Thanks for the reply.

Bill

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 11:57:40 PM »
I see it is "Waiting for www.hitsunlimited.com"  trying to download a picture, which is an image at the bottom of the page which will link to "100 Top Guns".

Folks who experience no long delays probably have the picture OK.  

Apparently, some setting on my machine is getting in the way.

Bill
« Last Edit: August 26, 2006, 12:02:24 PM by Michigunner »

Offline glioma

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006, 12:15:36 PM »
It's not your computer. The image from www.hitsunlimited.com is not displaying on my computer also, and I am running a Mac. Luckily, Safari on the Mac does not wait for all the images to load before displaying the remainder of the page. It shows, however, that the page loading is stalled on "contacting www.hitsunlimited.com."

If I enter the hitsunlimited URL into the browser to load their home page, the delay is to the point where I get a timeout message. It is apparent there is something amiss with the hitsunlimited server.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2006, 01:01:24 PM »
Thanks, glioma.

It is very annoying to have to wait so long.  I finally just blocked the images from hitsunlimited.com, and the response time is now excellent.

The problem just appeared out of nowhere, so they might have made a recent change with YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1, the board software product.  If you say "View Source" using a Microsoft browser it shows the code to accomplish the image download.

Of course, it is a matter of advertising money vs. our viewing pleasure.   Sometimes there is a strong conflict and both sides are determined to stand their ground.  Some would argue that the advertising link is necessary in order for the facilities to exist.  

I just want to enjoy the forum without long waiting periods for some obscure link at the bottom of the page.

Meanwhile, I don't mean to make the slightest tiny criticism against this wonderful forum.  It is, far and away, my most favorite place.

Unfortunately, I sold my R9S because of a little arthritis which made operating the slide difficult.  Still, Once a Rohrbaugh owner, always a  Rohrbaugh owner.   :)

Thank you, rohrbaughforum.com for being here.  You are much appreciated.

Bill

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2006, 03:02:47 PM »
Ahh - seems I was overly suspicious and had not thought of a legit pic download.  Indeed yes - if a server ''fails to deliver'' a pic then for sure it can all but stall the completion of a page download.

Anyways - if such does occur a block on source is way to go - glad you have circumvented that Bill anyways.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2006, 02:32:07 AM »
I too had noticed the "Top 100" had not been showing as of late,but did not seem to slow me down at all..

Of course,I am dial up at 50K.. ;) :o

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe