Author Topic: New Afzelia Burl Wood Grips for the Pup.  (Read 5906 times)

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor
New Afzelia Burl Wood Grips for the Pup.
« on: December 10, 2013, 10:38:29 AM »
Christmas came early for me this year when I found a pair of Afzelia Burl wood grips for the R9 on eBay. After drooling over this exact set in this thread:
http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/index.php?topic=6489.0 I couldn't believe that they were up for sale. I guess they were originally made by Kevin of KD Holsters and only a couple sets are known to exist. I know the forum admin Duane has a beautiful set. Anyway here are the pics:

What do you guys think of them on the Elite (Note: I just set them on the gun as I don't have an allen wrench at the office)? I think they may even look better on a silver framed pup. Ill post pics when #321 tries them on later.

-Ryan
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 10:05:33 PM by BlueC2 »
Currently looking for Elite Premium RP 1 of 16. Please PM 
NRA LIFE MEMBER.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: New Afzelia Burl Wood Grips for the Pup.
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 05:22:00 PM »
I once saw those grips on Kevin's R9 when he came through Tennessee. They are outrageously good looking.

Congratulations!
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline wildmanwill

• Master
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 07:05:03 PM »
They look better (and much less red) here than they did on eBay.  I would be interested to see what they look like on a silver framed pup as well as I agree with you that they may look even better on it.  Congrats, great snag!

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 08:54:38 PM »
Richard & Will, thank you for your complements on the new grips.

Will, I agree with you that the photos (below) on eBay were terrible and I would not have purchased them if I hadn't recognized them from the thread I referenced in the original post. I was able to compare details in the wood to make sure they were the same pair.

Thanks,
Ryan
NRA LIFE MEMBER.

Offline wildmanwill

• Master
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 09:11:45 PM »
I have very strong reason to believe that these were sold on eBay by our forum member tomuncommon.

Tom, if you are here and see this thread, where did you come upon them?

Offline K-Man

• Master
  • aka Someone Else
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 05:06:47 PM »
Hi folks,
Those grips were on the R9 I sold.  They were the only set of Afzelia Burl that we made.  We only made a very few set of grips to begin with.  My favorite set were these.  Glad they found a good home.
www.kdholsters.com

U.S. Navy (Retired)

May we always have the freedom to pursue our dreams.

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 01:01:07 PM »
Hi folks,
Those grips were on the R9 I sold.  They were the only set of Afzelia Burl that we made.  We only made a very few set of grips to begin with.  My favorite set were these.  Glad they found a good home.

Kevin,

Nice to hear from the man who made the grips that I love so much. I had admired those since I first saw a picture of them on your gun. Very glad to have them in my collection now. Thanks,

Ryan
NRA LIFE MEMBER.