Author Topic: Best caliber for CCW?  (Read 23549 times)

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
Best caliber for CCW?
« on: September 27, 2014, 03:37:33 PM »
I just got back home from the local Gun Show.  I decided that I would ask 20 individuals whom I have dealt with over the years, and whose opinions I value when it comes to firearms advice, what they carry personally  as their trusted carry piece. The results are as follows:   

1.) .45 cal.-12
                                                                                                                                     2.) .40 cal-5
                                                                                                                                     3.)  9mm-1
                                                                                                                                     4.) .357 mag-1
                                                                                                                                     5.) 44 mag.-1
A number of these individuals are ex law enforcement and military. Their attitudes all seemed to be the same…sometimes you're only going to get one shot off…it had better be good, and lethal.  Interesting.         

« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 04:29:36 PM by cargaritaville »
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Re: Best caliber for CCW?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 09:19:13 AM »
I would imagine that by the nature of their job experience, military and LEO opinions would be weighted in favor of larger calibers (and larger handguns with longer sight pictures) because the engagements more common to LEO and military would often be at greater distances than the average citizen would expect (assuming reasonable use of situational awareness to avoid conflict, an option not available to the military and LEO in their line of work).
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 06:22:23 PM »
I'm quite surprised to see that many big calibers.

All I have been reading lately says shot placement, penetration and permanent wound cavity in that order. Of course .45 in a good platform doesn't necessarily "muzzle flip" like .40 and even 9 in some small packages.

If I carried OWB I would feel more comfortable carrying a bigger piece, but being an average citizen I try to be a bit more concealed. That may be part of the equation. If I carried OWB for 30 years I doubt I would change as I migrated into more of a civilian role. Some may even still be working some security or still thinking like a cop (I would).

Interesting insights to me.

I also have read in the Glock magazine lately that more departments are going to the .45. Perhaps a trend that's been in the making for a while.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 06:30:48 PM »

Also, the 9mm cartridge wound cavity ballistics are quite different than they were a few years ago.

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 07:18:58 PM »
The first gun I was taught to shoot with was a Colt Gold Cup National Match 45. It was beautiful to handle and very accurate to shoot. I miss it. I am very accurate with a 45. My accuracy deteriorates with each lower caliber. With a .25, I cannot hit a bus. I am the most accurate with a 44 magnum or a 357 magnum. I am extremely comfortable at not over anticipating the boom. With lower calibers, I feel like the firearm is going to fly off. The big guys don't fly off…they stand their ground. I think that I am going to look into a Colt  Defender to carry. I have a Springfield Armory XDS 45 that is still unfired. It's light and looks like a squirt gun I had as a kid. What was I thinking? I just bought a new Sig P220 Carry Elite Stainless 45. My new toy for the range…need a hand truck with it to carry it CCW.
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 07:38:26 PM »

I have a weak kneed fondness for the Colt Gold Cup NM, especially the 70 Series; right behind it is the Browning High Power 9mm.

Offline dddonkey

• Expert
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 10:01:27 PM »
I would say 9mm is the best but that is my opinion (ret. military), in fact my last 6 deployments the M9s we had were 9mm. Maybe I am bias or I just own too many. ;D

Offline Douglas

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2014, 10:04:20 PM »
Shot placement, penetration.

That's it.

I use 9mm.

Be cool. Accept death. That is the ideal of personal combat.

-No kidding.

It is much easier to just hand over your stuff. Why do you want to fight over a few bucks? You will not be responsible for your credit cards. You can get a new driver's license online...

If you elect to deploy a handgun, you will step up to the big leagues.

I posted this report recently.

http://www.firearmstactical.com/pdf/fbi-hwfe.pdf

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2014, 10:31:48 PM »

I don't recall hearing anyone say that the loss of watch, wallet, money clip, car, or other replaceable items are worth a violent encounter if otherwise avoidable. There is no doubt that one's life will change forever if anyone is shot in a gunfire exchange even if it is legal and/or unavoidable. The price of concealed carry can be quite heavy if exercised in a situation. Conversely, not many of us want to become a victim if we can prevent it.

Offline dddonkey

• Expert
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2014, 11:14:55 PM »
I will agree, you can have my stuff, but when my or my families life is on the line things change. If you ever deploy your weapon, you better be ready to use it, hopefully I will only deploy my R9 at the range for practice.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 07:45:37 AM »
The problem with a strong-arm robbery for the armed individual is that along with your watch and wallet the attacker will very possibly get your firearm and may then use it on you.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2014, 09:12:07 AM »
For me, the operative word in the CCW acronym is "concealed." When wearing clothing permitting me completely to conceal a handgun chambered for .45 ACP, I do so. Even then, I have the 9mm R9 in my right front pocket. In response to the subject question my answer would therefore be the largest caliber one can effectively conceal.

Edit: Corrected typo.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 04:49:45 PM by Richard S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2014, 09:44:42 PM »
I definitely want to be concealed too.

Thinking of this .45 post, I ended up with my XDS out at the range today along with my solo.

Perhaps the next important question to ask is "how many rounds are best to carry?". Obviously as many as you can, but with the threat of something weird going down evolving daily, would you anticipate one attacker or two or do I just watch too much tv? Is a mag in the handgun and a spare in the pocket enough? I feel as though it is, but unless I'm carrying a double stack Glock I don't like less than 2 mags.

Is anyone else thinking he may be more likely to deploy a handgun on a terrorist than an  armed robber or other threat? I know I may look weird for asking, but it does cross my mind.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 10:06:19 PM by JoshA »
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2014, 10:02:49 PM »

No.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2014, 12:45:01 PM »
No.

For civilian CCW, one magazine in the piece and a spare in the pocket.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"