Author Topic: Hypothetical about Rohrbaugh type design  (Read 443 times)

Offline Wanderer

Hypothetical about Rohrbaugh type design
« on: February 17, 2024, 03:21:35 PM »
Just wondering about a hypothetical. Not taking into account patents and legalities and such,  could a pistol in the style of the Rohrbaugh be produced with a paddle magazine release rather than the current European type release without dramatically altering the size function.

Also have there been any advancements since production ended that would enable the size to be reduced any further without impacting functionality.   Like new materials or design elements that weren't available at the time.

Offline Wanderer

Re: Hypothetical about Rohrbaugh type design
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2024, 09:25:52 AM »
As for materials,  are any newer alloys capable of standing up as well as steel for the slide allowing for shaving it down at all?   What about using titanium in the design.  Obviously that would cause the price to skyrocket.   

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2024, 09:53:44 AM »
Very interesting thread you started.

I am watching this for some ideas and discussion as well.

(Personally I like the heel release magazine, I feel it's safer)

Offline Wanderer

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2024, 10:35:31 AM »
The thing I like about the paddle release is that I don't have to shift my grip to do a magazine change.  I use the middle finger of to operate the paddle.   Now the R9 frame might present a challenge since you have a fairly small grip surface.   I like to standardize as much as I can so that I don't have to spend time training differently.  On larger calibers and fuller size weapons that isn't an issue,  but the Walther PPS is the smallest paddle release I have.   For things smaller it has been button release.  Until the Seecamp and the R7 with the heal release.   I'm the least experienced with the heal release so maybe I'll end up preferring it. 

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2024, 10:25:07 PM »
I think if you are planning on using your R9 like a compact or larger model, it might not be the best choice in your situation.  Facing the need for fast magazine change is probably in the wheelhouse of a larger pistol.  The heel magazine release is a lot safer for deep pocket carry, where the chance of the release activating is lessened.  That is how I carry mine, even when carrying a larger handgun.

Once upon a time I shot quite a few competitions at the start of IPSC.  Quick draw, fast shooting and blazing magazine changes were name of the game. In no way does the Rohrbaugh fit that slot, IMHO.  You might look at the newer generation of small pistols like the FN Reflex (really good triggers out of the box), Springfield Hellcat, and the fan bois favorite Sig P365 in its various flavors.  These are all feature loaded, have that traditional American magazine release, decent capacity and carry really nicely in a belt based holster.

I don't have an issue switching between guns as I try to stay competent on most all my firearms, no issues with the bottom release on the old H&K squeeze cocker which I still carry on rare occasions.

Just my thoughts..............

« Last Edit: February 19, 2024, 10:26:39 PM by MikeInTexas »

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2024, 09:02:39 AM »
Fully agree….it’s “horses for courses”.  I will here reprise an earlier post of mine:

I have owned R9’s and LWS 32’s for years. Although I usually carry an extra mag, I don’t foresee a likely combat reload, specifically because those particular firearms are belly guns used at very close ranges. If the 7 rounds loaded are ineffective at that range, the proximity of the assailant makes a reload unlikely especially with the heel mounted mag release. A “New York reload” would certainly be a better option.

If the distance is greater, the likelihood of an effective shot goes WAY down making a strategic withdrawal a very valid option. When I think I may be put in a situation requiring aimed fire at 15 or more yards, I usually carry a P365 with a 12+1 mage and a 15 round spare. A good knife may be the other strong consideration for a CQB “reload”.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Wanderer

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2024, 11:03:18 AM »
I don't foresee a combat reload however,  if you have moved to cover at least for me at the moment I prefer the paddle release over the heal or push button magazine.   

The drawback of the push button is accidental magazine ejection and often having to change grip to perform the mag change.
For the heel release, I have probably changed my grip to do it,  although still don't have enough time in with the R9 or the Seecamp to feel comfortable with the heel release.

The R9 has a big advantage over the Seecamp in being able to fire without the magazine in place.   So one can shoot 6 shots while maintaining 1 in the chamber.   If you have achieved a cover position for the magazine change and it ends up compromised you still have the ability to fire,   but anything that would speed the reload process seems advantageous to me.   

With the paddle release being on the trigger guard which should be covered by the holster when in the pocket and since the release is perpendicular to the draw accidental mag release shouldn't be a factor.  So I don't think you lose the safety factor