Author Topic: One holster or two??  (Read 4175 times)

Offline Chinook

• Expert
  • NRA Endowment Life Member
One holster or two??
« on: July 13, 2008, 05:30:31 PM »
It's feast or famine!  For some time, I've been on the waiting list for a holster by both RJ Hedley and Robert Meco.  Robert has been waiting for a dummy which has taken much longer to get then anticipated.

Last week, I got an email from RJ saying I was finally "in the queue" for one of his front pocket holsters.  I immediately sent the money.  Today, I heard from Robert Locke of RM that the dummy was ready and I could have the first of his holsters!

My inclination is to let someone else have the production slot from RM but maybe I should be greedy.  Can anyone advise on the usefulness of having two?  Should I opt for something different?  Perhaps a rear pocket or belt style?

I am retired and expect that my front jeans pocket would be the optimal for most of my use.  I would think a back pocket would be bothersome for sitting.  Thanks for any suggestions.

James
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."   Ben Franklin

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: One holster or two??
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 08:18:18 PM »
IMO, take them both, decide which one suits you best and
if you like you can probably sell the other one. I agree with
you on the front pocket carry being the preferred choice but
reasonable minds will differ on that one.

Offline Chinook

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 08:50:48 PM »
The more I think about it, the more I think I might use a rear pocket holster enough to justify one.

I wonder if anyone has statistics on the % of front pocket R9 holsters are in use relative to the % of rear pocket holsters...

James
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."   Ben Franklin

Offline CaptBW

• Master
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 08:10:46 AM »
I don't have any statistics, but I know that one holster will not fill every need.
ACTA NON VERBA

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 10:54:21 AM »
In my experience, it is best to have at least two (or more) holsters for any pistol you carry. Among other reasons, an everyday rig may become wet (perspiration or immersion --"stuff" happens) and require a day or two for treatment and drying.

And, lest I forget, congratulations on that Hedley!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 10:56:10 AM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Benjamin

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 01:26:49 PM »
Rear pocket carry ( when not using a Thunderware holster) with palm facing forward to withdraw the weapon works well for me.

Benjamin

Offline Chinook

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 01:33:19 PM »
What do you mean by "palm facing forward"?  Can you describe the orientation of the gun (ex. left side toward body, handle up).  I assume the back of the holster is facing back to minimize seeing a gun outline through the pocket material.

Thanks

Offline JJ62

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 01:38:57 PM »
This may help
=Back Pocket Holster =
This is a holster with an "Anti- Print" panel attached at the bottom only, this feature is an original design by RJ Hedley.

This panel faces to the outside, away from the body to hide the print of the weapon. The fingers go between the weapon and the panel, forming a wedge. This original feature keeps the holster in the pocket as the weapon is drawn. To draw a weapon from a right hand holster in the RH back pocket, the palm of your hand will be towards your butt, in a natural way. If you insist on the old method of drawing, with your palm out away from body, order a LEFT HAND HOLSTER and carry it in your right back pocket. Or vice-versa for the left handed user.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 01:41:57 PM by JJ62 »

Offline Benjamin

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 02:17:56 PM »
Exactly what JJ62 said.

Benjamin

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 06:56:31 PM »
I have found that you not have enough of finely made leather!! ;) 8)
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Chinook

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 01:59:08 AM »
I knew this would happen; greed won out over all budget concerns.  Robert Meco is sending me the very first rear pocket holster he has made using his new R9 dummy.  He's even agreed to emboss "#001" on it to signify serial number 001!

I will happily send a picture when I get it if someone will tell me how to include a picture in one of these replies...

Regards,
James

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 07:36:45 AM »
James:

The instructions at this link should help. If you run into any trouble, let us know.

http://www.acbsystems.com/boards/rohrbaugh/basefile/pic-post.htm
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"