Author Topic: Kimber SOLO Range Report  (Read 2616 times)

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
Kimber SOLO Range Report
« on: March 27, 2011, 07:39:43 PM »
Finally getting a chance to put some words down.  I actually shot 12 different types of ammo (shown).  The instructions say to break it in with 24 rounds of 124-147 grain, premium hollow point.  I fired 25 rounds of Winchester PDX1 in 147 grain right off.  I had three magazines loaded with 5-rounds each, fired them back to back, reloaded two more and fired them.  Zero malfunctions.  I then started loading various rounds of other personal defense ammo.  The Federal Hi Shock and Winchester white box (both 115gr JHP) were the oldest of the lot (10-20 years).  Again, zero malfunctions with 75 rounds of personal defense ammo of differing types.  Kimber recommends 124-147 grain, saying that 115 grain may not produce enough pressure to fully cycle the slide.  Four of the personal defense loads were 115 grain and all performed perfectly.  I then ran a box of Blazer aluminum case 115 grain through and again, zero malfunctions.  I must note that I didn’t clean the gun or lube it at all during this time.  With little exception, the gun only sat long enough for me to reload the three magazines.  It got quite warm.  I then started on the box of Blazer brass.  On about the 15th round, I had a failure to fully cycle and eject the spent round, happened again about 35 rounds into the box.  I also had two instances, on this box of Blazer brass, of the slide not locking open on the last round on the empty magazine.  I attribute both issues to a couple factors, one is that the gun was hot and dirty, lacking lube.  Second, this was 115 grain, cheap ammo, and even the instructions say the gun prefers high quality of 124-147 grain.  So, just to be sure, I loaded the three magazines with 6 rounds each of Speer Gold Dot and again, the gun performed flawlessly and the slide locked back on every empty magazine.  Also, I had read a review where a guy had trouble loading the 6th round into the magazine.  I did this several times with all three magazines and had no issues.

I had read someplace (was pix too) where a guy had failures to feed and slide lock issues on nearly every round.  On this gun, visible in one of the photos, is a small spring, on the frame.  This is in the (recessed) hole where the slide release catch goes on reassembly.  The manual says to ensure the slide catch installs under the spring, or slide lock and failures to feed will result.  Had I not read that, I would have easily gotten the reassembly wrong.  Very easy mistake to make and I suspect that was the issue on the one bad review I read.  The manual also recommends changing the spring assembly (whole thing) after 1,000 rounds of use.  

After disassembly, I didn’t notice any undue wear on the slide rails.  Had seen one review where a guy sent his Solo back for Kimber to look at, but I don’t see anything that wouldn’t be considered normal.  My main objective was to put some rounds downrange and make sure the gun worked.  Naturally I put some targets up.  I posted a pic of a target I shot at 25 yards, two handed, standing, fairly rapid fire, lots of rounds.  I believe the gun to be very accurate.  Next time I’ll do some bench shooting but for its intended use, it will more than do.    Bottom line, I’m very pleased.  I will carry this gun without worry.  I put over 200 rounds of 12 different types of ammo through it, to include some very cheap stuff, and it worked with the few exceptions noted above.  Once I switched back to good defensive ammo, it returned to not having any issues.  It’s a great little gun, well made, nice features with night sites in the works.  Galco already makes a number of holsters for it.  I have ordered the Stinger and Summer Comfort and will let ya’ll know when I get them.  I believe Kimber hit a home run with this one.  Sig is coming out with the P290, similar size, can’t wait to see if it works this well.  Love my Pup and gonna get another, but Rohrbaugh may want to take a look at their pricing…with Kimber and Sig getting in the game, and the Kimber performing how it did, I would think the Pup’s prices will have to come down.  Enjoy the pix.  If I’ve left something out that you would like to know, ask.  Oh, one more thing, this gun comes in a soft zipper case inside a cardboard box.  I’m okay with this, but some would probably prefer a hard case.  Also, only one magazine.   The gun was comfortable to shoot and pointed well.  The Toad is happy with this gun!    ;D

American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Kimber SOLO Range Report
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 09:13:56 PM »

Outstanding and very thorough report, Toad. Thank you.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 10:09:05 PM »
Toad, great report, and some fine shooting. Glad your pleased.
I am leaning towards getting one but want the all silver version.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 10:14:14 PM »
Toad.  What a report; in depth; those results are awesome.  Thanks for taking the time.  Excellent.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Josey Wales

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 10:44:15 PM »
Thanks Toad,

I think you have put some of my fears to rest!
Nice shooting and nice review!

J.W.
"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 11:07:26 PM »
Thanks ammotoad. Great in-depth range report. :)

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 06:54:21 PM »
Thanks AT!'

That's great news, straight from the horse's, uh , Toads mouth.  That's what I like.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 02:57:55 PM »
Friends, was back to the range today, wrote another post, but the gun worked as advertised.  Oh, and don't what got into me, but the actual range I was shooting was 25ft, not 25yd as stated above.  I'd guess most of ya knew what I meant anyway...but didn't want the mistake to continue without correction.  Dang, that would be some good shooting at 25yd.   8)
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop