Author Topic: How to remove screws  (Read 33803 times)

Offline dano1200r

Re: How to remove screws
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2010, 04:24:13 PM »
Yeah...  I tried using a new craftsman pro allen wrench to turn it loose -- worked the first time I tried, but I broke out the screws the last time I tried.  Did anyone ever find a solution for the galvanic reaction on the screws -- I'm presuming that was the source of the white powder round the screws.

I got lucky, and my 'smith managed to mill a slot in the head w.o. marking the screws.  (I was not happy when Rohrbaugh said "screws aren't a warranty issue.  I used the 222MS they spec'd to secure them, and used a high quality tool to attempt to remove them -- IMO, it is a design flaw -- not a big deal, as it's not that serious of one, and every product will have some, but I don't think much of their recalcitrance in addressing it.)

Would using a soldering iron to heat the screw head help?  Or just cause more problems?

New guy here stripped one of the screws. How exactly can you get these out. What type of blade did your smith use to mill the slot? Any other ideas greatly appreciated.
Dan

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2010, 08:24:48 PM »
Here's a link to my own sad tale -- which fortunately ended without damage to the pistol:

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=R9S;action=display;num=1190497569;start=10#10
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2010, 11:23:05 AM »
My 'smith has a full milling machine - he found the smallest flathead in his shop, then milled a cut just big enough to fit it.  We managed to pop it off.  

I still think this is a design flaw, and I see no reason why a more robust screw cannot be used.  
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2010, 11:25:50 AM »
I suspect Pups are susceptible to galvanic action - that, or they're the first instance of dis-similar metals being in contact which doesn't - both due to the screws, and the corrosion issues I have w. mag plates.

Is there someone making aftermarket/replacement grips now?  Might be interesting to try to mill a place to hold a zinc plate near the base of the frame...

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2010, 12:15:18 PM »

P.M. sent.

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2010, 08:00:55 PM »
My 'smith has a full milling machine - he found the smallest flathead in his shop, then milled a cut just big enough to fit it.  We managed to pop it off.  

I still think this is a design flaw, and I see no reason why a more robust screw cannot be used.  

I agree, it would be SO easy to improve the screws.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2010, 08:12:03 PM »
And - why not add one or two more to the right panel.

It Could be done without trashing it up.

It would beef it up and cut down on failure rates for sure.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline kanuist

• Expert
Re: How to remove scre
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2010, 10:07:06 PM »
I'd like to see Rohrbaugh switch from the #3-48 screw to a #4-40.  I have only been able to find replacements in the stock Allen, phillips and slotted.  

#4's come in Torx! (Tork/Star)

It is pretty typical in the knife industry to only use even numbered screws as they are available in greater variety.

I stripped two of my grips screws when I went to install new grips.  It wasn't fun to remove them, but it was far from easy.
Join the Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network
http://armedcitizensnetwork.org/

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2010, 10:14:33 PM »

I started to remove the grips but the screws were so tight I decided against it until I buy a soldering iron to preclude the stripping trauma.

Offline Mort

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2011, 02:23:25 PM »
I just purchased a hex head screwdriver made by a company called "Hudy."  I purchased it from an RC hobby shop online.  The head measures .063".   Each tip is individually precision ground.

My pup #613 had screw heads slightly distorted during installation and the numerous allen wrenches  I have tried did not fit well and I was afraid to apply enough torque on the screws to loosen them.

This screwdriver works!  
Althoug pricey at $24.00 with shipping I highly recommend this item.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2011, 03:02:27 PM »

Good tip and cheap compared to the alternative. As I recall Richard had something like that.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2011, 04:44:56 PM »
Hudy makes some excellent precision tools:

http://www.hudy.net/flash_stuff/all_in/index.htm

As does Bondhus:

http://www.bondhus.com/products/body-0.htm

I've learned the hard way that cutting corners on the cost of a tool can eventually cost more by a quantum factor than the cost of purchasing the right tool in the first place.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2011, 08:59:09 PM »
precision tools:

As does Bondhus:

http://www.bondhus.com/products/body-0.htm

I've learned the hard way that cutting corners on the cost of a tool can eventually cost more by a quantum factor than the cost of purchasing the right tool in the first place.

+ 1

I took Richards advice about 2 years ago on the Bondus hex drivers with the ball hex end.

I now have duplicates sets for each of my machines in my shop  for work which I use daily.    
I use them so much the wording is worn off of the handles.

They are the best!

Thanks Rich!
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2011, 02:28:12 PM »
Mort,

I just ordered the same Hudy tool from A Main Hobbies for $20 and change shipped. Thanks for the lead.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/89_140/products_id/8367/n/Hudy-US-Standard-Allen-Wrench-1-16-x-120mm
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 02:28:38 PM by tracker »

Offline Craigt

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2011, 03:31:16 PM »
This looks like a very high quality tool.  The description does not state whether the bit can be replaced.  Looks like there might be a set screw for securing a replaceable bit.  

Can any of you with one of these Hudy drivers confirm whether the the bit is replaceable or not?

Craig T.