Author Topic: wow! now im confused!  (Read 3901 times)

Offline wasp

wow! now im confused!
« on: May 24, 2008, 01:49:12 PM »
went to my local dealer inquirying about r9s ordering, internet tranfers, etc,etc. anyway he had a north american arms .380 and i was blown away by its koolness! i dont know what it was, maybe just seeing it in person. anyways came home and started checkin them out on the net and from all the custom machine work to all the accesories you can get i am now confused. and yes i know JUST GET BOTH! but which one 1st! lol anyways im just rambling and have read some about the .380 but does anyone have any negatives to say about them?

Offline riffraff

• Master
Re: wow! now im confused!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 02:03:26 PM »

wasp,

Yes, the negative is the trigger is not even in the same league as the R9's trigger.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline Jack Foulard

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 10:20:14 PM »
Wasp-

If you like the NAA 380, check out the Seecamps.

http://www.seecamp.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

The NAA are replicas of the Seecamps.  Most Seecamp owners are very pleased with them.

Question comes down to if you want the 380 or the 9mm.  For most people its a pretty easy decision.

Good luck.

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 11:41:55 PM »
Wasp,
Welcome to the forum.  Lots of good information here.
I own both guns.  Carried the NAA .380 ACP for a year before ordering my R9S.  Riffraff is right on the money re: trigger feel.

The NAA trigger isn't too bad, but it's definitely not the same league as the Rohrbaugh.  My NAA .380 is 100% reliable thru a couple thousand rounds.  It's a blowback design so recoil is somewhat sharp compared to a locked-breech action.  It is also a little heavy for pocket carry, which is why I bought the R9S.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it!  ;D

Offline BytorJr

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 01:11:47 AM »
Rohrbaugh and Seecamp have the best triggers of any pocket pistol out there in my opinion.

Offline bluegun

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 02:07:53 AM »
i have the pup., the guardian in .380 and .32naa.  of the three, i like shooting the .380 least of all.  believe it or not, the recoil is more --annoying, i guess-- than the other two.  i mean, none of them are jacking your arm around or anything, but the 9mm and .32naa are both quite sweet.  the .380 is pretty sharp.

i agree with you completely, there is something kind of likable about the guardians.  they really feel solid.  remember, though, what feels "solid" at the range translates into "heavy" in your pocket.

all in all, i don't regret the .380 purchase, and it's certainly less expensive than rohrbaugh, but the rohrbaugh is in a whole 'nother universe of power, carriability, and, dare i say it:  coolness.  if you can possibly stand the wait, i'd save my pennies and go for the r9.  second choice, if you live in an area where you can find ammo, is the .32naa.  what a little hotshot!  i just love it to death.

just my $0.02 USD

*oh, and welcome to the forum . . . great bunch here -- truly.

michael hildebrand
juneau, alaska
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 02:09:13 AM by bluegun »

Offline dawkind

• Sharpshooter
  • NRA Benefactor and don't EVER give up!
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 02:25:40 PM »
I, personally, would get the R9S first because after the feature article in the latest 'American Hnadgunner' magazine the demand is going to go through the ceiling....like has been stated, "Get 'em while you can!"  ;D

I've never really checked out the NAA pistols other than I had a NAA mini-revolver in .22 short for a number of years and finally 'stepped up' to a Freedom Arms 'Casull's Improvement' in .22 lr and carried that for many years, too.

I was able to procure a .32acp Seecamp in 1993 and carried that for 12 years until I got my .380 Seecamp in '05. I can tell you that I never thought I'd ever put my beloved Seecamp aside until I got my R9S Stealth but a few weeks ago. I've put about 120 flawless rounds through it, cleaned it a couple of times and did put a new recoil spring in it.....couldn't ask for more in a small back-up.

"I think for myself.....therefore I vote Conservative.....God Bless Ronald Reagan!"

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 11:21:26 AM »
I have both the Rohrbaugh R9 and the NAA G380. As has been noted, the trigger on the R9 is much better than the G380 out of the box, the R9 is almost 6 ounces lighter, and there is also the matter of caliber -- 9x19mm Parabellum vs. .380 ACP (9x17mm or 9mm Kurz).

I consider the R9 to represent the ultimate in pocket pistol design.  

As has also been noted, the G380 is a straight blowback design with the barrel being an integral part of the frame. This results in comparatively "stout" felt recoil for the pistol, even though it's built like a little tank. Due to the simplicity and ease with which the G380 can be field stripped and reassembled, I carry mine whenever I'm going to be in conditions where I may lose footing and wind up with my backside in muck and mud. I can field strip the G380 while sitting on a flat rock, clean it out by sloshing it around in fresh water, spray it liberally with Ballistol, slap it back together, and expect it to be operational -- all within a minute or two of time.

So -- my advice -- get the R9 first, but put the G380 on your list for consideration down the line.

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 01:09:32 PM »
ditto on the R9. Get it first and while you can. Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Jack_Bauer

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 05:16:17 PM »
I had an NAA G380. Never carried it. It was too heavy for pocket carry. Since getting my R9S in February it has always been in my front pocket.

No comparison, get the Rohrbaugh.