Author Topic: Carry customization  (Read 2319 times)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Carry customization
« on: October 25, 2004, 02:10:31 PM »
Most of the time for some considerable while now, I have become pretty much a ''one gun carry'' ... that means my SP-101. I do however at times feel the need to ''customize'' my carry choice.

I do not for the most part travel anywhere locally where the ''risk factor'' is overly enhanced and so SP cuts it ... with one spare speedloader. Today however, after a trip into local town I am on to a larger town to pick something up ... it does raise the ''risk factor'' by a significant amount.  So - whilst SP is with me ... R9 is BUG in ankle rig.... not a regular ploy.

Equally there are times when I feel the need to have more gun and will pack maybe SW99, or even P95 or 97... greater capacity .. again R9 would be BUG.

Then - fortunately rarely - max concealment is required.  This is where R9 becomes primary - in pocket ..... even in SmartCarry if really going ''deep''.

So - curiosity really .. how many here adapt their carry choice to suit circumstance?  Or will you religiously only have the one and same carry piece all times?
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline doctordun

• Sharpshooter
Re: Carry customization
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2004, 03:52:57 PM »
My primary carry is more dictated by dress(read-size of pocket) than by circumstance. I carry by pocket most of the time. If I am more casual, I will sometimes use a fannypack. If my shirt allows it, I will carry a Keltec32 in my neck holster(usually when I'm driving for a while, pocket carry is hard to get to). My four carry guns are a Glock 27, S&W340, R-9 and Keltec32. Believe it or not, I can carry my Glock in some pants just fine. I try to carry the max firepower I can get away with. Instead of a spare mag, I usually opt for a spare gun when possible.

Offline FJC

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2004, 04:57:06 PM »
Similar here - I have about 4 pistols I'll use depending on the circumstance, and what clothing I'm wearing.

In the dead of winter when I'm wearing big sweatshirts/sweaters, it's a full sized .45 (P220).  When I need something a little smaller in the grip I've previously carried a SIG P225 9mm, but I just picked up a P245 (chopped version of the P220) that'll likely fill that role.

When a hip pistol is too big, I've generally used a S&W 340PD in a pocket holster.  When even that is too bulky, I'll reluctantly carry my Kel-Tec P-3AT.  These last two pistols are likely to be replaced now by my R9s once I get it to the range one more time to verify it's reliability.
--Frank C. (FJC)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2004, 08:23:25 PM »
FJC and the Doctor have pretty much described my own situation.  If circumstances and mode of dress permit, I will carry two weapons.  In the best of worlds, the "primary" will be my customized and treasured Colt 1911-type .45 carried IWB, with a pocket pistol as a "BUG."  My own circumstances these days, however, usually limit me to carrying one concealed weapon.  For me, that means a pocket pistol.  Until the Rohrbaugh came along, my pocket pistol for the past four years or so has been my NAA Guardian .380 with its tritium night sights.  Now, I consider the R9s to be my primary pocket pistol.  I must admit, though, that when I am venturing out at night, I am apt to slip the Guardian into my back pocket (holstered in RJ's classic BP design) as a backup to the R9s.  (I can't really say whether that is due to the Guardian's night sights or simply due to nostalgia for a weapon that has served me so long and so well.)

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"