Author Topic: FNG Or: The Baugh that Rohr'd...  (Read 7075 times)

Offline Calvin Cooledge

• Expert
FNG Or: The Baugh that Rohr'd...
« on: October 19, 2004, 12:44:31 PM »
Hi Guys,
I'm the FNG, as this is my first post on the list. I received my precious new R9S last Saturday and Boys, am I impressed! It's like holding a little jewel in the palm of my hand. And a powerful jewel at that. Mine may be a fluke, in that it is a R9S model, but the slide is stamped R9. Do I have a rare bird here?

I don't care much for the blue carbon fiber; I'd prefer black, but tha't hardly a big complaint.

I called Rohrbaugh for info on a holster for it, and Eric Rohrbaugh himself called me back from his cell phone. I was impressed. I ended up ordering a pocket "Kentucky" holster from Graham Holsters in black Reef Shark, with an accompanying magazine holster. I should have it Friday.

In the meantime, I bought a cool DeSantis pocket holster in a 'woven' look rubbery material that holds the R9S perfectly in my front pocket. I like it a lot.

I haven't had time to shoot it much, but so far I like it a lot. I have to get used to the sights.

I'm primarily a collector of custom knives, having been an Honorary Member of the Knifemakers Guild for over 25 years. I know and appreciate finely made items of all sorts, from watches, guns, knives, boxes, guitars, and collect all of them.

I have 6 guns; three 1911 style guns and two shotguns and of course, my latest and favorite new baby, my R9S.  It's serial number 288 and I'll never let go of it.

Lightning is striking around me; guess I should log off now. It's really nice to be here.
"I'm spreading my loyalty around..." - Calvin Cooledge

Offline TW

• Grand Master
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 01:26:53 PM »
>>Hi Calvin...!...

I take it you kinda like your R9s, huh...?...lol...!!  I've got a question for you...  What size De Santis pocket holster did you get for your gun?  Of the three sizes offered - was it the smallest?  Take care & enjoy...!...TW<<

Offline 9mil.mouse

• Expert
Re: FNG Or: The Baugh that Rohr'd...
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004, 01:52:19 PM »
Hey Calvin,  we were all the Bleepin' New Guy once upon a time, and you've actually got one of those little Rohrbaugh gems, you done good!

I do think your Rohrbaugh is ususual, being marked R9 but having sights. Sort of like a mistake at the mint for coins that makes an oddity more valuable.

Don't worry about the blue grips, they mark your gun as an early model, and black grips will be available soon enough should you ever want to switch.  WELCOME!

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004, 02:00:57 PM »
Calvin -  welcome to the forum ..... and ''the club''! :)

My #2 R9s is also just stamped/engraved ''R9'' ... I don't think that is too unusual probably... at least not with the ''R'' series S/N's.  My #1 gun does tho say ''R9s'' on it.

Sounds like you are well pleased .. it's quite a little gem.  Good to have you aboard.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Calvin Cooledge

• Expert
Funny, It doesn't look Bluish...
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2004, 02:05:33 PM »
I can't find a product number on the DeSantis Pocket Holster, TW. But I'll give you the dimensions; 5" at it's long side with a bottom wing that's 4" wide by 2.5" tall (overall height of the wing). It does NOT print as a gun. Something, perhaps a wallet, in my relaxed fit jeans, but not a gun.

Yes, I love this gun. It has, in 3 days, become my favorite and my every day carry. Along with my Bob Dozier Folding Hunter in the other pocket, I'm ready for most everything.

My wife and I were discussing my love of firearms, and I told her it was a relic in my genes to hunt and provide for my family. That was good enough for her.

About my Subject:line(s): I am well known for them in other forums and if you guys don't already have one, I'll apply for the job of resident comedian here on TRF. But be prepared. It'll be a wild ride;^)

Oh, yeh, the Subject:line- I'm not complaining about this, but I was supprised my gun came with bluish carbon fiber rather than black. I noticed as I look back to the American Handgunner feature that there is some blue in it. Oh well. Perhaps a limited edition someday with presentation grade Cocobolo grips with a matching Tomway Cocobolo Presentation display case. Yeh, that's the ticket...

Offline FJC

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2004, 02:17:05 PM »
Congrats!  I'm getting mine in the next few days...I can't wait to give it a workout at the range. :)
--Frank C. (FJC)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2004, 06:06:09 PM »
As I recall, there were some early prototypes I saw at the factory with black carbon fiber grips.  Even earlier, there were aluminum grip panels.  You can see a set on the Rohrbaugh website--Karl is holding one in the photo with his President's Message.

The new grip panels are likely to be a black carbon-fiber looking G-10 material.

I like the Blue CF -- it is different.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline Jim

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2004, 11:08:22 PM »
Welcome Calvin, glad you like your new R9.  Welcome aboard. ;)
Glock 23, previous R9S owner sold due to health problems.  Just enjoy the folks on this forum!!

Offline Calvin Cooledge

• Expert
Was:..The Baugh that Rohr'd...
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2004, 05:56:05 PM »
>>Hi Calvin...!...

What size De Santis pocket holster did you get for your gun?  Of the three sizes offered - was it the smallest?  

Yes, and I'm quite impressed by it. It ain't pretty, but it's incredibly effective. No printing. Looks like a wallet in my pants. $16.95 is a bargain!

Offline TW

• Grand Master
The Baugh that Rohr'd...
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2004, 06:51:43 PM »
>>Calvin...thanks for the info on the DEsantis holsters...!...TW<<

Offline justin2992

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2004, 12:24:11 AM »
The Desantis Nemesis is nothing more than a temporary holster at best.  The gun fits in it fine but will fall out if inverted while in a seated position.  I could go so far as to say it's down right dangerous.  When I used my Nemesis for my Rohrbaugh, I got up many a times and later realized that I had left my Rohrbaugh behind in the easy chair.  In other words, don't do it.  Get one from RJ that is properly fitted to the gun.  His turn around times are short anyway.
The 1938 Nazi Weapons Law is alive and well in the United States, and is called, "The Gun Control act of 1968", and is enforced by the modern day gestapo, known as the BATF.

Offline Calvin Cooledge

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2004, 12:04:15 PM »
I agree, it's a temporary holster. I'm waiting for delivery of my 'real' holster, which is a Graham "Kentucky" in black Reef Shark skin, with a matching mag holder. Can't wait for that one!

I have carried the R9S constantly in the DeSantis since I got it and it's never moved in my jeans pocket. The whole POCKET can move, left and right, as the weight of the gun shifts according to my posture at the time, but the R9S has not slipped out yet. Sure, if you take it out, hold it upside down by the edge seam, and shake it hard, it will fall out. (Do not try this at home;^) But I don't think it's a hazard, unless you climb about a lot in loose fitting pants. If you are a LEO, I apologize for this because I know you can get quite a workout in the "hood". I bought the DeSantis when I picked up the gun, not knowing anything about it. But I've come to like it for what it is. The reason I bought it in the first place was so I could start carrying my new R9S right away.

When I get the Graham holster, I'll take a picture of the whole rig and try to post it for all to enjoy.

Thanks for the great welcome to the forum! I love it here!

Offline TW

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2004, 02:03:28 PM »
>>I sometimes carry using a belly pouch or side bag, both of which are zipped closed.  This is what I am thinking about using the DeSantis holster for.  As is my gun(s) are placed in the enclosed pockets without any sort of holster, so the DeSantis could be considered an upgrade for this carry.

I was fortunate enough to get a Ron Graham holster with the first R9 I purchased (from a private individual).  However, I have another R9 on order...and when that comes in I already have plans to contact RJ for a proper holster...probably one of his model RB in maroon...TW<<

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2004, 06:44:16 PM »
Concerning the R9 on slide instead of R9s..

The one I just picked up only has the R9 designation also..

Must be how they are coming now??
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Calvin Cooledge

• Expert
Whenever I sea change, I pick it up...
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2004, 11:35:24 AM »
All of this only adds to the allure and mystery that will surely unfold as the 'troops' dive into the background of this historic piece. I do think we are witnessing a sea change in CCW!

It sure beats any other full caliber gun out there in precision and quality and power. I've gone from no CCW to constant carry, overnight. I love this little gem!

I've picked up a Hogue "HandAll, Jr." and slipped it over the grips. I had to do a little trim on the bottom, and I'd rather wrestle in a mud pit with a pin up model than to try that again;^)

It does fit pretty well, and certainly adds to the 'grippability'
(I think it's called 'purchase), to the gun. It ain't as pretty, but it helps with control and it has a little finger 'bump' that works well for my hand. I think I'll only use it at the range, though because of that pretty factor. I'm so vain...

Warren Beatty