Author Topic: Laser Sight  (Read 2933 times)

Offline Jim

• Expert
Laser Sight
« on: October 31, 2004, 01:01:33 AM »
Any thoughts on the Slipper laser sight as shown on the Rohrbaugh web site???   Thanks, Jim
Glock 23, previous R9S owner sold due to health problems.  Just enjoy the folks on this forum!!

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Re: Laser Sight
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2004, 11:04:14 AM »
I have some thoughts on the laser slippers in general, although no experience with the one specifically for the R-9...

Its an interesting gadget, and I agree that lasers can be an excellent tools on a small weapons like these.  I think that the j-frame with a Crimson Trace laser grip may be the highest and best use of the technology.

The problem with the "slipper" design to me is -- how do you carry it?  You can't use a pocket holster.  Now, I realize it helps disguse the shape, but it doesn't do the other things a pocket holster does -- stabilize the gun in the pocket, protect the finish, and COVER THE TRIGGER.  I have said this so many times I am sick of hearing myself say it, but I won't carry a gun in my pocket with an exposed trigger -- any gun, period.  So, for me -- this idea doesn't work.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2004, 11:22:01 AM »
I might go further, I think it is like a Bumper Jack for a Uni-cycle.... ;D
RJ=

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2004, 05:02:56 PM »
ShooterJB has one of those for his NAA Guardian that he does not care for or use.

I also agree on the need to have the trigger covered.  I don't believe in depending on heavy triggers for safety - it needs to be light enough to enable you to hit your target.

My biggest problem with lasers:  suppose you and your wife are at the mall and when you meet up with your kids at the agreed-upon place, they are attacked.  You and your wife both draw laser-equipped guns.  One dot comes up on the bad guy's head, the other comes up on a kid's head.  How do you know who should shoot?

Yeah, I know, you can wiggle the dots and see whose moves which way, or switch to the iron sights, but wouldn't it have been faster to just use the iron sights?

If for some reason you do have to shoot without using the sights, then I can see the benefit of the laser.

Every gun you are likely to see me carrying lately has tritium sights.  None has a laser.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline 9mil.mouse

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2004, 08:36:23 PM »
I'm with RJ. It's like a spare tire for a pogo stick.  ;D

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2004, 10:48:44 PM »
Just to add a quick 2c .. I can't see any viable laser application for the R9 - this is point and shoot - close up and personal probably.

I will say tho - I am a fan of CT grips on my revo's ...... have em on M28-2 and M629.  They are tho for me in their element when used on my carry SP-101 .... if light is good then the red dot is hardly seen ... I go to an iron sight hold reflexly anyways.  If however light is lower then the dot shows above irons .. so in a sense - as irons get harder to see, so does the laser dot get easier to see.

I find that makes it very ''self-adjusting'' .. no need to change an approach or technique.  In the subdued light situation I'll happily have my CT's over any special night sights ... and I say that with all deference to Bill ..... just my view! :)
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2004, 11:45:22 PM »
Chris,

I think your technique is about the best way to use a laser.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.