Author Topic: Combat Handguns - R9s Article..  (Read 3525 times)

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
Combat Handguns - R9s Article..
« on: November 08, 2004, 06:25:23 PM »
Feb. 2005 Issue...Out at my newstand..

Article by DK Pridgen,6 pages or so with lots of pics and VERY favorable...Interesting read..

Pic of the Rohrbaugh on cover with the Walther P99c.

Calling them Maximum Mini-9s..
« Last Edit: November 08, 2004, 06:37:44 PM by Brenden »
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline FJC

• Expert
Re: Combat Handguns - R9s Article..
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2004, 09:53:37 AM »
I laughed when he said something to the effect of, "disassembly was very easy."

This is a sweet pistol but anyone who thinks disassembly/reassembly is easy is nuts.
--Frank C. (FJC)

Offline Incursion

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2004, 11:10:30 AM »
I think disassembly is easy.  Just stick an empty .22LR casing in the ejection port, pop the pin out, and boom... there you go.

Offline TCat

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2004, 11:15:32 AM »
I think disassembly is easy.  Just stick an empty .22LR casing in the ejection port, pop the pin out, and boom... there you go.
Any time disassembly of a firearm includes a stage called "boom", I worry.  ;)

Offline FJC

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2004, 03:17:06 PM »
I'm not claiming it's impossible - just much more difficult than most other pistols.  The requirement of both a .22 case (or other spacing device) and a pin-punch in my book make it a not-so-easy disassembly (after all, my SIGs just require locking the slide back, flip a lever, let the slide move forward and off).  

Reassembly is even more difficult in my opinion, with the juggling of the recoil spring, guide, and cap.  Heck, even Rohrbaugh suggest the use of a channel-lock wrench for that.

It's not something I'd mark down as a deciding factor for a buy/don't-buy decision, but the R9 is a lot more difficult to assemble/disassemble than other pistols.
--Frank C. (FJC)

Offline doctordun

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2004, 05:48:08 PM »
I agree that this gun is the hardest one I have when it comes to assembly. For some reason, I can disassemble it fairly easily, but when I reassemble, then it becomes fun. If you have a little lubrication on your hands, it ain't gonna happen. But even with all that, I love this gun. After all, I don't have it apart that often.

Offline Calvin Cooledge

• Expert
Pocket Scientists...
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2004, 03:47:50 PM »
Yeh, I was so excited this AM when I spied Combat Handguns at the local Stop & Rob, I could hardly wait to get back to the office to be the first to alert all of you who might not have seen it yet. I gobbled down every word, while gobbling down my lunch. I'll probably read that article, oh, 38 times before I go blind;^)

All this talk about take down and reassembly has me nervous, since it's now about time I do it for the first time. (About 80 rounds so far...) I have the 8000 year supply of Syncolon Grease (and Justin's about to have his too!) and now I need the nerve to just jump in and do it. What's the worse that could happen? I'd just have to keep buying R9S' until they got dirty and then just buy a new one;^) Could get expensive!

I have a few really cool guns, but this one is the coolest. It redifined what I think about CCW. It's perhaps just the beginning of a new revolution in pocket rocketry.

Cal

"I'm spreading my loyalty around..." - Calvin Cooledge

Offline FJC

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2004, 06:36:58 PM »
Oh, don't let my ramblings scare you - it's not THAT hard - it's just harder than most pistols I've worked with.  

I can get it apart with no problems, and reassembly goes fairly well now (I've given up, though, trying to reassemble it by myself - I have to have my 11 year old come over and push the pin back in while I retract the slide the proper amount - really makes my life easier!).  If only I had a third arm...
--Frank C. (FJC)

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2004, 06:52:24 PM »
I offered a third hand.   [the vice idea] :)
RJ=