Author Topic: New R9S  (Read 2187 times)

Offline bigdave

New R9S
« on: November 10, 2004, 10:15:40 PM »
Received my new R9S today.  Beautiful little pistol.  I was very impressed.  Took it to the range and put 48 Gold Dot 124's through it.  No failures.  This is probably all I'll use in the pistol.

Being used to a P7M8 it was hard to get used to the long trigger pulll.  Seems like a good idea for a pocket piistol though.  It shot to point of aim from about 15-20 feet.

When I got it home I practiced drawing and firing with a snap cap.  I've never used a pocket holster before.  Is it normal for the holster to go flying, or are my pockets too big for the holster?  I guess it doesn't matter if I actually ever had to draw it, but I'm curious if others have had this happen.

Haven't broken it down yet, but RJ Hedley was kind enough to send me some leather for my vise, so I'm going to try the third hand method.

Overalll I am very satisfied.  I ordered it in June, so it took about 5 months to get.  Worth the wait, there's no other pistol like it.

Offline 9mil.mouse

• Expert
Re: New R9S
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2004, 12:01:48 AM »
Hey Dave, congrats on your new pistol. You're right, the trigger is absolutely completely as different as can be from the P7M8. Gosh, what if Rohrbaugh made a tiny squeeze-cocker at their new digs..... :o   Heckler and Rohrbaugh! Not gonna happen, I know, but we can dream, can't we? On the other hand, it would be more complex to clean, and try to get satisfaction from H&K quickly and easily like we can from our favorite brothers. Oh well.

Draw from a pocket holster is different too.  With the holster you have, the best way I've found to draw is to start the R9 out of the holster by pushing the leather away from the pistol with your thumb. Then the pistol can be drawn without
having the leather exit your pocket. It helps to have your hand already in the pocket and on the piece in preparation, something that can be done without looking strange with a pocket holster.

The leather strip RJ included with my holster was to gently stretch the leather until there's a satisfying compromise between retention and retraction, somthing that's worth spending a bit of time on, not getting the fit too loose nor too tight. Hope you enjoy your new piece, it's a great little pistol, but then with a P7M8 you already know all about great little pistols.   ;D

Offline Jim

• Expert
Re: New R9S
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2004, 12:47:33 AM »
Glad you got your Rohrbaugh Dave, they sure are a great pistol!!!  Have fun,  Jim
Glock 23, previous R9S owner sold due to health problems.  Just enjoy the folks on this forum!!