Author Topic: A PA shoot report (Eric was there!)  (Read 6652 times)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
A PA shoot report (Eric was there!)
« on: October 30, 2004, 10:43:09 PM »
Well .... got back a while ago from a most enjoyable shoot, out East for me - in fact about a 205 mile haul!

I decided to drive over most of the way - as far as Allentown .... on Friday late afternoon - too old for a long haul twice in same day (ahhh ... sigh!!)  ... and met Jody Hudson at a motel where we crashed for the night (after a very pleasant ''T'' bone! :P ).

The morning started with the remnants of some rain storms .. not very welcoming.  We drove off to the range - about 30 minutes and were there in good time.  Further small showers came along but then bulk of day was just dull but - mercifully, rain-free.

Our Eric came over to join in ..... great having him along.  This time he brought several R9's and was able to show these to various folks plus, let several try the gun out.  He also brought some of his other handguns and excercized those - something I believe he'd not done for some while.  Colt Det' Special .. nicce snub ... plus his 4" python .. and a 4" 1911 compact.  Oh and a new J frame snub he had been given ... was that a M10 Eric?  I forget now.

I ''pursuaded'' him to try my .454 and .45-70 BFR !! ...  plus he gave my AK some heating up!  I do think and hope he had an enjoyable day amongst friends.

Here are some pics ... first the pistol range well attended (we had approx 39 head count today) ....... then Eric ''showing his wares'' ..... and shooting one.

I shot some video footage as well ... and hopefully have a sequence of Eric rapid firing ... if it works out I'll post a link to it on my server .... just need time to edit the tape.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline shooterjb

• Sharpshooter
Re: A PA shoot report (Eric was there!)
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2004, 10:53:39 PM »
Hi Chris,

Sorry if I missed it in an earlier post but where exactly was this shoot at? I am sorry that I missed it.

Frank

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2004, 11:07:09 PM »
Frank,

The shoot was basically set up by Jamie Young as a TFL shoot ... but included guys from FalFiles, AR15, THR etc.

To be honest - I quite forgot to mention it on here ... plus, had not even remembered your location or other's.  It was nr Quakertown, a little way south of Allentown PA ... for me a long haul out east.

Apolagies for not mentioning .. maybe I should have.  You're not PA tho - are you?  If so - wish I had mentioned. :(
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Jim

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2004, 12:46:28 AM »
Thanks for the pictures R9S. it looks like a very fun day..  Jim
Glock 23, previous R9S owner sold due to health problems.  Just enjoy the folks on this forum!!

Offline shooterjb

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2004, 12:47:36 AM »
Hi Chris,

Maybe next time I can stop by and empty the 13 rounds I carry for my R9S and the 13 rounds I carry for my Kahr P40 Covert and then some. I know how hard it is to keep track of where everybody lives. We have an amazingly diverse group of folks on this forum. I hope that everyone is voting for Bush on Tuesday though. I live in Schuylkill County PA. Today I went southeast to take my 82 year old Mom in Lansdale out to lunch and passed right by where the shoot was.

By the way, you got me looking at the S&W99s and tonight on the way home I stopped at Cabela's in Hamburg, for the second time, to check them out. I have decided to buy a Walther WAP78000 P99 in 40 S&W rather than the S&W99 because the Walther has a shorter grip than the S&W and fits my smaller hand much better than the S&W. It amazes me that the grips are different since the frames are both made by Walther, but the Walther grip is shorter. Both companies are offering 2 free hi-cap magazines if you buy one of their guns with 10 rounders before 12/31/04.

I know what you mean by the long haul from the Pittsburgh area since I made the trip to the NRA convention in Pittsburgh last April. That is when I met Eric and he convinced me that I needed to be the first on my block to own an R9S. Mine is sitting in front of me now on my computer desk in a Graham Reef Sharkskin Maverick holster that I carried it in all day.

Since we both live in PA., I will look forward to meeting you somewhere down the line.

Best Regards,

Frank
« Last Edit: October 31, 2004, 01:44:50 AM by shooterjb »

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2004, 12:42:39 PM »
Frank ...... ahhh .... sorry I had not remembered your location ... ironic too you should have passed relatively close to us as well.  It would have been good to meet up .... an opportunity missed.

However, it will hopefully be repeated in March .... once we get darned winter out the way .. and then I will try and make sure I mention about it here.

I would greatly like to meet all folks on here, but of course not very realistic in many cases - we should tho be able to manage something ourselves sometime ... hope so.

Just thinking also - wondering how Fly is getting on as I don't think he has managed to post in some while ........ hoping he is coping.

I may have another pic or two to post - as well as, (if I can get the darned sound to grab) have a video clip or two.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2004, 01:37:23 PM »
Eric had a jam in his Glock17 .. something real odd happened with one round ... danged thing was solid!  Moderate ''persuasion'' seemed ineffective - and Eric went to his car to retrieve some other tools.  Meanwhile, Jody's sense of mischief got the better of him and we staged this scenario so that Eric would see it on way back with his tools!

Arrgghh - said Eric .. Nooooo ... not that! :) LOL.  

Did occur to me that had Jody actually been gonna take a ''swipe'' at recalcitrant Glock ... would I have become a shooting amputee!??!!  How accurate is your swing Jody?!  :P

MikeB from TFL got this pic .....

Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2004, 03:32:00 PM »
Here is some video for you!

These are short clips in .wmv format - very reduced and compressed to keep size right down - so, quality is quite low. Right click on link and ''save as target'' - then play.  Otherwise you'll probably get streaming.

First one ..... some shots of Eric shooting an R9 ... some slow fire (Jody in background shooting one also) ... then Eric goes for broke with some rapid fire. :).

Second one was funny! Eric tried MikeB's Carbon-15 ... this shows his ''appreciation'' ;D

Eric shoots his R9

Eric tries out a Car-15!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2004, 03:32:50 PM by R9SCarry »
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Mr_Jody_Hudson

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2004, 08:16:03 PM »
And a GREAT day we had!  Eric made it special again!

Thanks for the pics and vids here Chris! ;D
Delaware Real Estate = http://www.Kate-Jody.com

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2004, 08:41:06 PM »
Jody kindly took some pics - he emailed them to me asking if I would post.  Unfortunately he got some of me too (cringe) - to avoid seeming churlish I'll put in two of them!! . One of those was '' flipping'' one back at Jody as he took the pic! :d ;D

So - here are some more additions to the ''gallery''...

One of Eric's many trial ''customers'' .. enjoying the R9 ..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A splendid pic of our host, Jamie ..

A very good study of Eric ..

Jamie again, with Eric ..

Jody snapped a sneaky shot of ''yours truly'' (shudder!) . ..

Me behind camera - ''flipping'' one, LOL . :D . ..

This was actually one of mine I forgot earlier - Jody enjoying his KelTec carbine.  This was earlier on when the range was way less crowded!. ..

Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Calvin Cooledge

• Expert
Shake Speer...Or:..Home on the range...
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2004, 12:02:06 PM »
Yeh, I'm from SW PA originally and my wife is from Allentown. I was trying to find an excuse to visit my mother-in-law, but I thought about it again and said "Naw";^)

I spoke to Eric last week and he said he'd have something there that would "blow everyone away", and he didn't mean literally! Did he bring "it"? What was "it"?

I went to the range again yesterday (it's close to my house;^) and put about 30 rds through the R9S. I had a sore thumb from the first time (at the notch between the thumb and index finger) and this time I firmed my grip, every time, and had very little soreness afterwards. Wow, am I glad! I originally thought the R9S was too punishing, but nothing like a firm grip to smooth it out! It fired everything I put through it. I was at the ammo store the other day and went nuts buying all kinds of 9mm to try out (but no +P!) and although it loves the Speer Gold Dot HP (115gr), I seemed to like the other stuff as well.
I will stick with the Speer, though. Good stuff!

The guys at the range were ooohing and aaahing and drooling over the R9. It's my opinion that we are the vanguard of cool, and that Rohrbaugh will sell many many thousands of the R9 over the coming months and years.

As soon as I get my Graham "Kentucky" holster in sharkskin, I'll post pics of it. Still using the DeSantis Nemesis(?), but it is limiting in it's usefulness, although it does allow me to carry it.

Thanks guys and vote early and often...

"I'm spreading my loyalty around..." - Calvin Cooledge

Offline rtw

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2004, 08:39:29 PM »
Were any malfunctions experienced?
Welcome home

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2004, 10:30:18 PM »
[size=13]Were any malfunctions experienced?[/size]

Hi Dick .. yes there were a few ... due either to non-recommended ammo (WWB probably) .... or Eric using an older spec' magazine .. probably in combination with less ideal ammo.

With good ammo and mags .. the rapid string as shown on the vid clip was easily repeatable.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline shooterjb

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2004, 10:23:31 AM »
Hi Chris,

I was kind of amused recently when my FFL got a call from the the Pa State Police (Records Division, 1800 Elmerton Ave., Harrisburg) complaining that there was no such firearms firm as Rohrbaugh and threatening to revoke his license to sell firearms for entering false information on a registration. He was in a panic and told them that it was a custom made gun. I know that, at least in your case, one of the guns was registered in Pa. before I got mine. Last week, when I went into his shop, he asked to see the gun, which I produced from my pocket, and he inspected the markings on it with a magnifying glass. Apparently there aren't too many Rohrbaughs around.

Frank

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2004, 11:28:10 AM »
That Frank, is amazing!!  My #1 had the paperwork done out back in May .. and AFAIK....... my FFL never had any hassles.  I picked up #2 last month and he never mentioned any problems.

I guess someone in the records dept was having a bad day and thought they'd be ''clever'' .... cause some grief to an FFL ... and win brownie points! LOL.

I was at a club meeting last night where we were setting up an NRA Basic Pistol course in two weeks .. we ran thru stuff and I took some guns which I will bring to the course for demo' purposes. The #1 R9 was in there and only one of the others (6 of us) knew anything about it, at all ... and that was from shot show.  

Most folks who do know of it - still make price the big barrier to purchase - altho they are fascinated by it and impressed too.

True enough tho - statistically - not many pups around (yet).
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site