Author Topic: Expectations  (Read 4309 times)

Offline FireBreather01

• Expert
Expectations
« on: November 14, 2004, 08:32:28 PM »
Hi guys - I am STRONGLY considering a R9s and am wondering what I should expect from this gun. I've done a lot of reading and every article has been positive to over-whelmingly positive.
I have read that this gun can shoot impressive groups (2" -3" 5 shot strings) out to 25 yards, is this true? I'm more concerned with with natural pointability and being on target at 25 feet and in.
What about recoil - I shoot almost every caliber between .22 and .45, inclusing 44 mag so recoil itself does not bother me. My primary concern here is controllability with rapid shots.
How about reliability - has anyone noticed their Rohrbaugh being particularly finicky with ammo?
Also, I have large hands with long fingers - is this a problem for anyone - I have a Seecamp and one problem I have with that is it just disappears in my hand and my trigger finger can get so far inside the trigger guard that I can actually lose leverage on the trigger.
Thanks for your answers, I know it seems like I'm being picky but this gun is pricey, none of the dealers in my area have one for to handle, and I want to make sure I understand what I'm getting into.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2004, 08:37:19 PM by FireBreather01 »
Attitude is Everything
NRA Lifer, Instructor

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Re: Expectations
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2004, 10:08:04 PM »

Welcome Firebreather,

Thanks for stopping by the forum.  I will address a few things, and other will chime in.

Have you read my review posted on this forum?  That is my opinion on the gun for the most part...  Reviews have been generally positive, although the debate about what that means is occuring in other threads, I guess.

Finicky on ammo?  Maybe so.  Not for me, but others report some.  One thing for sure -- stick to high quality premium non-+P ammo.  Honestly, there it little reason to shoot anything but Speer Gold Dot JHPs from this gun.  This is not a range gun -- shoot a couple boxes to establish reliability then shoot your carry ammo from time to time.  

Recoil is stiff.  About like shooting +Ps in an Airlite revolver, to me -- although recoil is so subjective.  I have shot 50+ rounds in a session, but I won't do so again.  I could shoot the gun rapidly enough for my comfort.

Your profile doesn't say where you are located -- there may be one of us very close to you.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline Jim

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2004, 11:19:22 PM »
Hi Firebreather and welcome aboard!!  You won't go wrong with the Rohrbaugh, however one needs hand gun experience before adopting this little gem!!!  Jim
Glock 23, previous R9S owner sold due to health problems.  Just enjoy the folks on this forum!!

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2004, 11:21:51 PM »
Jim, looks like Firebreather is an NRA Instructor -- I think he's got that covered!  ;D
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline 9mil.mouse

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2004, 11:43:57 PM »
Hi Firebreather. Your questions are good ones. I do think the Rohrbaugh is worth considering if you have a use for a small, powerful pocket pistol. The recoil, while stiff, shouldn't give you any trouble at all, since you're an experienced shooter. It would really be ideal if you could handle, and even dry fire one, before deciding, but most of us didn't do that either before ours arrived.

My Rohrbaugh has fired every piece of 9mm I've put into it, without a single bobble. I do keep the piece clean, and I do use quality standard 9mm factory ammo. If you do the same, odds are very good your experience will match mine. If for some reason it doesn't, the Rohrbaugh folks are VERY interested in correcting any problems that may occur in their products.

If you do get a Rohrbaugh, the trigger may take some getting used to. It is a very smooth but long squeeze, and since the pistol is so tiny, there is only a fairly short distance between the backstrap and the trigger when it reaches the position for firing. I'd just be guessing if I said this could be a problem for you, because I only have medium sized hands, but it would be great to have some forum members with huge hands chime in on this, because I'm curious about it myself. Is it awkward for you big-handed folks to reach the point where the tigger fires, and does having huge hands allow the pistol to rotate or move in your hands after firing, so you have to readjust your grip for follow-up shots?

Once the trigger has fired the piece, there is a fairly long forward stroke needed to reset the trigger for the next shot.  Double-taps or triple-taps are not as rapid for me with this pistol as they are from autos with shorter resets. It's more like Bam,  Bam,  rather than BamBam.

I'm in no way dissatisfied with my Rohrbaugh, It's a superb, powerful, beautifuly made, special niche tiny pistol. I like it a lot, and having sent hundreds of rounds through it now, I would personally jump at the chance to own it if I didn't already have one.  

Offline TW

• Grand Master
Expectations
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2004, 12:49:13 AM »
>>As a big-handed person I can attest to the fact the R9 may twist around a bit in your palm upon firing.  Once you have experienced the R9 it is possible to better prepare yourself for follow up shots...but I don't think you will be able to do so by dry fire.  As indicated by Duane - your best bet is to check through this forum to see if there are any R9 owners in your area...and then see about meeting up at a range for an up close and personal experience with the Beast...!  The Rohrbaugh is not for everyone...but if you are one that it was meant for you will know right off.  Like so many others here I have quickly become a Rohrfbaugh fan...TW<<

Offline FireBreather01

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2004, 01:19:31 PM »
Thanks guys! I appreciate your insights - this looks like a great forum with solid information and a lot of shooters willing to help out. You've  helped with my decision - I'm in!!!
I have a line on a limited supply of the R9s and I will be placing my order today. They claim I will have it by Thanksgiving and if that is true then I will truly be thankful! They are a reputable dealer listed on Rohrbaugh's website so I feel pretty good about this and I'm really, really looking forward to giving this gun its first 'test drive'.
Thanks again - I look forward to being part of your 'community'!
Attitude is Everything
NRA Lifer, Instructor

Offline 9mil.mouse

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2004, 03:16:47 PM »
Great, Firebreather! I notice nobody chimed in on your accuracy questions yet. For a pistol with a short barrel, this is a very accurate pistol, if my own R9s is typical. Since you've decided to get one, you'll be able to judge the excellent accuracy the Rohrbaugh offers soon, hopefully before Thanksgiving. Be sure to let us know your experiences, and welcome to the forum.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2004, 08:26:10 PM »
FB01 - welcome from me too!  :)

Not much to add but would say that this pistol is capable of better accuracy than its user me!)!!  I'd not rate it against a loaded 1911, or a 6" barrel revo at 25 yds ... but that is immaterial I think - when this is for me a pocket pistol for 9mm defense use ... close up most likely.

If you ain't yet browsed - go peek at my small and embryonic FAQ site (see my sig line) ... a few morcels there which may expand your decision-making process.

As Duane said and i will reiterate . it is NOT a range gun for plinking (IMO) ... most ammo my first one digested was thru ammo testing .... practice shooting is restricted to a coupla magsful now and again.

I will add, re gripping .. I also have large hands and quite long fingers . this is a small package to hold and control.  That said ..... I have evolved a grip that does the job fine ... and I reckon anyone can aquire a suitable grip style with experiment and some practice.

Recoil I find snappy and a tad fierce .. in some ways perhaps almost as strong in a sense as .44mags thru my 4" 629 ... but what should we expect different from such a small piece shooting 9mm?  It goes with the territory! :D

I am delighted with mine (both) . and #2 is now available for carry as and when needed . either BUG or sometimes even primary.  It is a ''niche'' gun IMo - and fills that more than well.

BTW - you didn't mention your location ... just curious, and in case an R9 owner might be not too far off.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.