Author Topic: Convince me  (Read 9839 times)

Offline MoW

Convince me
« on: January 30, 2005, 03:44:58 PM »
OK, I'm considering the R-9s as a CCW. I've been doing alot of research lately and looked at many different options. My question comes as compared to the S&W 340 PD. Price is not a concern, and there is little difference in price anyway. Convince me, why would I choose the R-9s over the 340 PD----both are light weight(12oz), the R-9s shoots 1 more round, but the 340 PD shoots a more powerful caliber(yes, I know accuracy is more important then caliber) and there is virtually no chance of the 340 PD of ever jamming. Convince me, I'm not trying to flame, just asking questions. Thanks.
                            MoW

Offline 9mil.mouse

• Expert
Re: Convince me
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2005, 04:04:47 PM »
HI MoW.

I doubt that you will find many people on this forum that will throw rocks at the S&W 340PD, it's a superb pocket gun, especially with CT grips. In fact, many of us, myself included, are J-Frame fans as well as Rohrbaugh fans.

If a decision has to be made between the two, the decision may simply come down to what do you like best, or what do you shoot best, a wheelgun or an auto?

As far as convincing you, I don't want to do that, but I will mention that the Rohrbaugh is a little flatter in the pocket, and about 1" shorter. Also, I don't mean to be picky, but the 340PD is a 5 shot, while the Rohrbaugh is a SEVEN shot, with 6 in the mag. and one more already in the tube.

Honestly, both are great little guns, and personally, I think you should carry the Rohrbaugh in your right pocket and the Smith in your left pocket!  ;D  Whatever you decide, good shooting to you, and welcome to the forum!

Offline MoW

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2005, 04:38:54 PM »
Thanks for the welcome. I really didn't expect anybody to rag on the 340 PD--just curious as to which they would opt for and why. Honestly, the 7 vs 5 does appeal to me but so does the .357 vs 9mm and the security of the no jam. Both seem to be great guns.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2005, 05:21:28 PM »
self-defense considerations aside, have you considered the
effect on your hearing from firing a .357 magnum without
protection?

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2005, 05:32:12 PM »
The Scandium J-frame .357 is one of very, very few guns I have ever fired that I found painful.  

I tried the gun at a S&W event at a local shooting range.  Upon firing the first round, the cylinder latch was driven into my thumb hard enough to draw blood.  I used up the next four rounds trying to figure out how to keep from bleeding while also hitting my target.  My hits on a full-size silhouette target were peripheral at best.

Both guns may be equally lightweight, but I think that in terms of size you will find the S&W more comparable to a Glock 26 than to a true pocket gun like a Rohrbaugh.

For comparison, I own a 3" .44 mag., and I have shot .454 Casull and .50 AE with no difficulty.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2005, 06:15:19 PM »
  I feel the Rohrbaugh R9 is far more concealable that any S&W J frame.  I own about two dozen J's, but only one R9..    

Welcome to the Forum,  MoW
« Last Edit: January 30, 2005, 06:18:54 PM by RHEDLEY »
RJ=

Offline PCA

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2005, 07:11:11 AM »
MoW:

One of the oldest arguments in magazines is J Frame vs. auto. As an instructor, I recommend revolvers, (to beginners), because of simplicity.
Old timer cops like wheel guns better than autos and women like them too. (Don't mean to stereotype; just relating my experience).
The S&W airweights I owned were painful to shoot, particularly the titanium frame .44 Special. My favorite was the little Ruger SP101. A little rough, out of the box, but durable, accurate and reliable. I wish I had kept it and sent it to charm school for trick out by a gunsmith.
I have not received my R9S yet but the question you raise is fair. Why don't you buy both?

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2005, 07:43:51 AM »
Pictured below is my R9S next to my S&W342 ...

... which is basicly the same size as the 340 but in .357mag instead of .38special. I have had this gun seize up on me when doing rapid fire (loaded 5 rounds and fired them off as quickly as I could. Quickly loaded another five rounds and repeated. After about half a box, the gun seized up and the cylinder wouldn't turn no could I pull the trigger). After a couple of minutes of cooling off, the gun was operational again. I consider that worse than a jam because you are literally stopped. With a jam, you can quickly unjam it and continue.

Repeated the same drill with the R9S and it worked flawlessly. In my book, that makes the R9S more reliable than the 342/340 (the 340 is basicly the same gun as the 342 expect in .357 instead of .38)

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2005, 10:53:09 AM »
Fudster makes a good point about reliability.  Those who favor revolvers sometimes like to point out that revolver training doesn't involve malfunction clearance.  In my own experience, when a revolver goes down, it is usually can't be rectified without a trip back to the factory for repair.

I have generally found that women do better wtih semiautos because of the typically lighter trigger pulls.  About 40% of the women I have either taken shooting or encountered at the range had great difficulty working with trigger pulls over 9 lb.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline rooster

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2005, 02:03:24 PM »
I have a friend that has the 340 S&W in .357.  Let me say that firing this round in this light of a package is not for the squimish. You also need to find the right loads because of bullet jump.  i shot just one rnd. and knew that was it for me.

Offline doctordun

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2005, 02:06:35 AM »
I own both and find that the R-9 conceals much better. It fits pockets that my 340sc has is grips peeking out about a 1/2 inch. I wear long shirts out of habit because of this, but now it's nice to not have to worry about flashing.(not that an occasional flash ever hurts)

I have some pants that I can conceal my Glock 27 in, but that's another topic.

Offline PCA

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2005, 09:46:13 AM »
Everyone:

I have the answer to all your woes as to J-frame revolver vs. R9 for CCW. Just move to New Jersey! There is no right to carry in New Jersey. There is one legal way to carry a handgun and that is to and from the range PERIOD. You cannot carry the pistol on your person enroute to the range nor can the gun be loaded. If so, you committed a felony. Pistol & ammo must be stored in your vehicle in separate areas, or you committed a felony. Stop at a 7-11 or to get your car filled with gas, while conveying a handgun, and you committed a felony. Anyone wish to move to New Jersey?

Offline doctordun

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2005, 01:28:34 PM »
Aren't New Jersey, Illinois and California part of the "Evil Empire" or is it "The Axis of Evil"?

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2005, 01:41:32 PM »
I think it's like the C&W song, "Am I Blue?".

Offline PCA

• Expert
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2005, 02:09:29 PM »
The worst states for gun laws, as I understand them:
1. New Jersey
2. Illinois
3. Hawaii
If I'm wrong, shoot me, but make sure you do it in New Jersey. Why? Because in NJ you are more likely to be prosecuted as a gun owner than you are as a criminal.
I've stated elsewhere in this forum why I am committed to living in NJ and I will not miss it when that commitment is fulfilled. :'(