Author Topic: Convince me  (Read 9843 times)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: Convince me
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2005, 09:51:03 PM »
MoW - welcome :)

Phil (PCA) is right re what he (we) teach in NRA etc ... the small revo is eminently more suitable for folks starting off... plus the reliability factor too - after which perhaps they can manage a small semi - and as RJ I think mentions, that is (IMO too) way more ''pocketable''.  I use SP-101 a lot - summer in particular .. and happen to like weight too funnily enough - no Scandiums for me!

Then there is capacity - on balance I'll take the 6+1 of the R9 in preference to the J frame type revo - tho often my SP-101 seems enough - the R9 often ''tags along'' tho as BUG!  Just now I am using my SIG 226ST as carry - but light clothing will make that a nono later!

Phil - the ''bad'' states ... HI-yes, IL-yes, NJ-yes ... but add too MD ... and from a carry standpoint KS is lacking miserably IMO.  CA is of course (as Doc states) also totally anal about most aspects of guns in most places!

Some aspects of NY leave something to be desired (IMO) ... and it hardly seems MO and OH have yet gotten themselves properly organized.

As for cities ... well, I'd better not wax too much on Chicago, DC etc .... might needeed censored! LOL.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline PCA

• Expert
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2005, 07:46:36 AM »
Chris,
I should have seen Maryland on the horizon from the posting on the forum by the guy who was held up because Maryland had not defined R9 as legal. But, hey; at least he's got an R9 now.
I am grateful to the forum allowing me to complain about NJ because I am locked into living in NJ while my father lives to whom I am obligated as caregiver.
I drive 50 miles each way to work, while the PA border is only 18 miles away from my office. I would have moved to the Keystone State years ago were I not morally obligated.

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2005, 09:13:51 AM »
Take your father with you and MOVE. That's what I did with my Mom. I highlighted the negatives of NJ. Minimized the postives and did vice versa with Florida.

Offline PCA

• Expert
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2005, 09:52:01 AM »
Fudster: Your recommendation is reasonable but I have been there and done that. My father is intransigent and he shuts down all dialog pertaining to alternative locations. My family has been in the town for four (4) generations and whatever contact my father has, with the outside world, takes place there.
I do what I do to give back to the people who raised me, as I did for my mother prior to her passing away. I only wished the state in which I am temporarily forced to reside were more progressive as regards gun laws.

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member & Cert. Pistol Instructor
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2005, 03:36:37 PM »
Ahh, that brings me back to my very young days duck hunting with my dad saying "dad I wish some ducks would come in", his reply, "son if you wish in one hand and sh** in the other which one would fill up first?" I am the guy in Maryland who is trying to get the R9 approved for sale by the handgun board. We are still working on it .
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline PCA

• Expert
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2005, 06:17:38 PM »
Newt,

I thought you resolved that matter. Sure you're not just trying to make me feel better about NJ?

Offline Newt

• Master
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2005, 09:41:07 AM »
The Md. handgun board meets again on Feb. 16 at which time a R9 will be inspected and considered for sale, if it meets the criteria set forth by the board. I think it will be approved but you never know about the whims of big brother. I will keep y'all posted on what happens. :-/
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline PCA

• Expert
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2005, 09:55:16 AM »
Newt:

I'll be routing for the good guys who will be R9 owners.

Who are the people who will meet on the Md board to discuss/decide in favor of the R9?

Are there any friendlies on this board or is it comprised of bureacrats only?

Offline Rocnerd

• Master
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2005, 11:27:46 AM »
I moved down here to S. Fl about two years ago from NJ.  NJ is a great state aside from the gun laws.  Close to Philly and NYC.  Great beaches, mountains, Delaware river, NJ corn and tomatoes.  I was going to say I don't miss anything but my friends and family, but I guess that would be a lie.  That being said, I would not live there again by choice.  Once I got to florida and bought my first handgun without a "permit to puchase a handgun" I was hooked.  Now, you can carry legally in NJ, you just have to get written permission from your state senator, so I've heard.  My friend's father carries in NJ, but is retired PD and is a traffic investigator for the state.  

Sorry MoW for totally hijacking your thread.  

Offline PCA

• Expert
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2005, 01:21:32 PM »
Rocnerd:

I hear you on the corn and tomatos but they grow so well in NJ because of all the fertilizer emanating from Trenton.

It takes a Superior Court judge to allow a CCW in NJ. There are 1200 licenses to carry in NJ who are not former police officers. (The right for former police officers to carry took a separate law years to pass).

When you divide 1200 by a population of 8 million, that's .00015 of the civilian population who are entitled to legally carry a handgun.

Offline Newt

• Master
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2005, 01:24:57 PM »
PCA, the board has one state tropper,one lawyer, and a liason person for the govenors office plus ordinary citizens, 10 in all I think. The good news is they have yet to turn down a request, so I think the chances are very good.

Offline PCA

• Expert
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2005, 01:48:03 PM »
Newt:

In NJ the State police control firearms transactions. When the NICS law came through, in 1999, NJ vetoed it because it was too convenient for gun owners!

Then, diabolically, NJ imposed its own NICS check @ $15.00 per transaction.

What does this all mean? Quadruple redundancy for handgun purchase. This is what we go through:
1) Firearms ID card,with fingerprinting 2) Pistol Permit (for EVERY handgun you ever purchase), 3) NJ NICS check, 4) NICS check waiting period up to 72 hours.
You can't make this stuff up.

Offline Newt

• Master
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2005, 02:21:36 PM »
We still have a one a month limit on handguns and a 7 day waiting period.

Offline PCA

• Expert
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2005, 03:49:08 PM »
Newt,

We are on an obvious "can you top this?" mode. Reality is that we both loose because MD and NJ law makers don't know and don't care about gun owners.

When they restrict gun ownership in a blue state, the population applauds because the anti-gunners paint us as the bad guys and the blithering idiotic press goes along with it.

Meanwhile, Rosie O'Donnell conducts the Million Mom March, against firearms, while she is protected by an armed bodyguard.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2005, 03:58:14 PM »
Basically Phil - it sucks being a mere peon! >:(

Don't get me started on Rosie O'D - shucks. ::)
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.