Author Topic: How many do not carry in the pocket  (Read 5232 times)

Offline riffraff

• Master
Re: How many do not carry in the pocket
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2006, 06:49:43 PM »
capt.koolaid and Richard,

Isn't it hard and slow to draw when sitting in a vehicle if it is in a back or front pocket.  I am not counting a cargo pocket on the leg of course.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2006, 06:54:40 PM »
I'm with Richard: center console when you are driving.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2006, 07:20:10 PM »
capt.koolaid and Richard,

Isn't it hard and slow to draw when sitting in a vehicle if it is in a back or front pocket.  I am not counting a cargo pocket on the leg of course.

Mike

For me, being right handed, it's awkward only if I'm driving -- hence my pocket pistol goes into the center console.  If I'm a passenger, I prefer to leave it in my right pocket.  If I'm carrying a primary IWB, however, for comfort it will probably be removed and stowed in the glove box or door pocket.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2006, 11:42:19 PM »
It isn't easy to draw while seated but it can be done.  It would require a quick release of the seat belt.

Having a backup gun in an ankle holster helps here.

I hesitate to remove the gun from my pocket because if I have to quickly exit my vehicle, I may not have time to retrieve it.  Also, in the 1986 FBI gunfight in Florida, all agents who unholstered their guns prior to the crash lost the guns they unholstered.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2006, 12:03:42 PM »
I have used a kydex cross draw holster with a Glock 36
in it. This was very accessible and was helpful during a
period when I was driving around Houston on the back side
of the clock and prior to the pup's birth.

Offline capt.koolaid

• Expert
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2006, 05:26:28 AM »
I probably shouldnt say this but....I seldom wear a seat belt :-X So its realy not an issue in draw impedement. Im of the opinion that if the s.h.t.f. I want my gun on me. If in a console especialy after evasive action/s that weapon may have moved around a bit unbenounced to me. Also, God forbid Im in a collision, I dont want that weapon that "unsecure". And in conclusion I think a gun in a vehicle is an invitation to trouble for instances of road rage, etc. Not to say I would deploy a weapon if not NEEDED, however if someone were privy to its wearabouts it could be construed negative and come back to bite ya in court. Of course thiers always the possibility of a truck or high profile vehicle driver seeing it if the console is open etc.....its just better for me to wear it on my person. Although I have "moved it" to a better spot while driving thru certain nieghborhoods before.

Offline Arizona

• Expert
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2006, 01:16:33 PM »
I carry in front pocket, coronado vest or jacket, and the 5.11 jacket.  I don't notice the weight when carrying here.

I have my glock at arms reach in the truck so I would not need to reach for my r9.

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2006, 02:34:12 PM »
I find it too heavy for pocket carry, unless the pants are tight in which case there are other issues with it.  I carry in a jacket pocket sometimes.  When driving I like it in the console.  I have a belt holster, which is nice because the weight is mush less than a compact 9mm or .40.

In the warm weather I still find myself grabbing my KelTec P3AT, which is a good bit lighter than the R9.  

But it's handy to have, in case I need to stuff it into my pocket quickly, or take off the sweatshirt.

Offline perraultd

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2006, 11:59:08 PM »
I've carried my wallet in my front right pants pocket for a long time.  The R9 has replaced my wallet, and while it is heavier, it has about the same bulk.  I really only think about it when I'm paying for something and reach into my front pocket out of habit.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2006, 08:58:58 AM »
I've carried a pocket gun of one type or another for so long now that I actually feel "lopsided" on those occasions when, according to law, I'm forbidden to do so.  The gun in the pocket varies with the mode of dress and activitiy -- from a semi-automatic pistol such as the R9 or one of the Guardians down to one of the NAA MiniMag revolvers.  Pocket guns are compromises, but they're downright comforting to have along either as backup or singly when circumstances permit nothing larger to be carried.  
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2006, 12:06:29 AM »
I must admit - pocket carry with my R9 is invariably BUG and so access less than critical when sitting.  Retrieval from sitting tho is indeed as problem - potentially.

If I am on a rare occasion limited to size and concealability then chances are I'll put R9 in its lil K&D rig.  It takes nothing to cover this if an outer garment is in use.

Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline joesolo

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2006, 10:59:15 AM »
Mine is gonna be in my right front pocket. All other stuff in the left pocket. If I go with a holstered gun it will probably be my Glock 27.

Offline mike468

• Vivre libre ou mourir
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2006, 05:57:50 PM »
Right front pocket all the time, now I've finally got my R9s. Usually have a Sig 239 in .357Sig on my hip, as well.
mike468
R9s

Offline GRUMPY357

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2006, 04:19:28 PM »
THIS IS MY FIRST POST.BUT TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION,
ITS IN MY LEFT FRONT POCKET IN A UNCLE SIDEKICK WHICH
HAS LARGE FOLDED ENVELOP IN FRONT OF IT(24/7).SPARE
MAG IS IN THE WATCH POCKET.WHEN I TRAVEL I CARRY A
1911 OR GLOCK ON RIGHT SIDE.

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2006, 08:53:12 PM »
Grumpy357,

Please do not type in ALL CAPS.  In the language of the message board this reads that you are shouting at us.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member