Author Topic: Stealth Finish vs Reg SS  (Read 2501 times)

Offline USNLDO

Stealth Finish vs Reg SS
« on: September 15, 2009, 10:35:40 PM »
Hello everyone.  Brand new to this forum but very interested in this fantastic firearm.   As the title indicates....request info on the durability of the Stealth finish vs the SS finish?  For those who are in the know...do you feel the Diamond Black Coating is as good or better than SS?  I see from the brochure that DLC is reduces friction, anti-galling and increases wear resistance.  What about scratch resistance?  Will the DLC wear off on the frame/slide contact areas?  Thanks in advance for any info.

Regards,
Chris

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
Re: Stealth Finish vs Reg SS
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 11:52:21 PM »
Chris, welcome to the group and to future ownership of a great pocket pistol. I do not own a stealth model, I have a regular R9s that I sent to Robar and had the NP3 finish put on the entire gun internals and all. But as far as wear on a black finish I have never seen a black finished slide that did not show wear after holster carry, some sooner than others but over time all have shown it. The stainless is the same color all the way to the other side and even though it will wear it will not show like a worn off black finish that was put over stainless. I'm sure the stealth finish will hold up very well but will show signs of wear at some point in time.
John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline DanR9SF

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 08:05:46 AM »
I don't have a Stealth but I do have some experience with DLC and other coatings.  A plain 'ol stainless steel slide is going to scratch just like any other metal, so I believe your question is more about the durability of the DLC coating.  You can use Google to learn more about DLC, but I will say it's a very hard coating, almost as hard as diamonds.  I doubt it'll scratch but if you were to drop it I would imagine the metal under it would still deform and you'd see the dent.

There's another coating called Titanium Nitride (TiN) which is a direct competitor of DLC.  I have TiN on my motorcycle's forks tubes (it's a gold color) and it's file-hard and extremely durable.  You can't scratch it with a file but a direct hit from a rock will dent the metal under it.  A gun slide that you can't scratch with a file is one tough finish!

I looked around and found some hardness values for some DLC applications and it also appears to be file-hard so I doubt you can scratch it.  If it's really DLC on the Stealth then you shouldn't be able to wear it off either.

Perhaps some owners of R9 Stealth models will post back about durability of the coating.  Hope this helps.

http://www.thegunzone.com/diamond_like_coating.html

R9S and R9SF - Not For Sale

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 08:21:40 PM »
Thanks for the link, Dan; sounds promising.

Offline USNLDO

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 08:54:53 PM »
Gents,
  Thanks for your input...the info you've provided will give me something to think about.  Either way, I'm sure both will hold up to the phenomenal standard of excellence Rohrbaugh is known for.

Regards,
Chris

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 05:16:08 PM »
Chris,

Welcome to the forum. I just recently sent my Stealth back to the factory because the coating on the left part of the slide failed. Factory made good on it and replaced the slide.

I don't have technical expertise as to why the finish failed after less than 50 rounds but it happened.

I prefer one tone finish and really like the Stealth. I would hope my experience was an exception.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline USNLDO

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 08:47:00 PM »
I too prefer the "one-tone" look....decisions, decisions..... :)  

Thanks for the info.

R/Chris

Offline mefly2

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 01:38:11 PM »
If the stealth fiinish does not hold up ... have the flat sides of the slide sanded to look like the more "exotic" model ...

Offline horseman

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 06:08:36 PM »
I've had my stealth in my pocket (with holster) almost daily for about 18 months now with no discernable wear.  The original left G10 grip did show a little holster wear near the top of the trigger guard, but I replaced them with the Hogue's.  

I use EEzox on the finish which may help preserve the finish.

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 09:41:44 PM »
Good info, horseman, and I believe the problem I had with my Stealth was simply one that got away. I don't think the bad experience I had with my Stealth is widespread and that is a good thing. Further, I reiterate that the factory stood by the product and performed reasonably with replacement of the slide in which the defect occurred.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson