Author Topic: Is it normal to get a small chip out on the frame?  (Read 6726 times)

Offline tquieng

Is it normal to get a small chip out on the frame?
« on: October 18, 2009, 10:30:07 PM »
Have 50 round on my new R9s and the frame has a silver 1mm chip of metal off.  It is at the metal right side  in front of the hamer and is at the corner inside top.  If you look straight in the front of the  hammer it is the "canyon"--i.e. between the 2 cliffs.  I need to figure how to post pictures.

Offline Cap.

Re: Is it normal to get a small chip out on the fr
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 10:45:24 PM »
Go to http://www.picturetrail.com and create an account.

Upload your pictures to it.

Then goto 'image links' and it will have the code that you can just post into a forum, image tags and all.

It's very easy.

I do not have a missing peace of metal or a chip as you describe.

Did you pull the trigger while the slide was off? The frame is aluminum so you could easily break it doing that.

Offline tquieng

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 10:43:13 AM »
Not normal.  I would call Maria at Rohrbaugh, tell her the problem, and ask her what to do.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 11:04:22 AM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline darkwaterkid

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 06:48:34 PM »
FWIW, my R9s Stealth has that same "chip" missing, along with some other scuffs and scrapes inside the frame and a fairly ugly scratch under the left rail.  I've put somewhere around 600 rounds through it total, but all of this seemed to occur during the first 50-100 rounds or so.  It doesn't seem to impair function at all, and isn't visible when fully assembled, so I haven't been too concerned.

Offline tquieng

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 09:21:08 PM »
I do not even know how the chip occurred --I am an experienced pistol shooter and collector for years  and usually can figure out the problem but with this I have no idea how the chip occurs? I  agree that it likely will not affect the performance but just like to know if more damage will be going on if I keep shooting this gun.
Can you post your picture of the chip as well and let me look at it?

Offline mick

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 02:09:51 PM »
I have almost the exact same chip on my stealth. It seems to shoot fine so I also have not worried too much. Do you guys think we should be concerned?  

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 02:37:35 PM »
Mick and and darkwaterkid.  Welcome to the Forum.  Again as stated above, call Maria at Rohrbaugh and tell her of the problem.  She can get advice from Carl and Eric Rohrbaugh and tell you what to do, and if there would be continued damage by shooting.  Could also tell you if they can do anything.  Customer service is great.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 02:39:58 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline mick

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 07:52:09 AM »
I think I am goin to put another 50 - 100 rounds through it and see if it gets any worst, I personally think it initially happened on my first range trip and is just the way the parts on my gun "mated". I really don"t feel like sending this thing back to the factory , I"s my every day carry piece and like I said before the pistol seems to fuction fine. Thanks Mick.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 10:23:22 AM »
Excellent plan.

Offline tquieng

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 11:16:13 AM »
I emailed picture to Maria at Rohrbaugh and should hear from them soon.  The chip occurred on the 2nd trip for me --first trip shot 30 rounds and 2nd put 25 rounds in.  New gun.  I have a feeling is a dent-chip caused by the casing hitting it before it gets ejected.  Hope it does not get worst.

Offline mick

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 11:47:21 AM »
tquieng, will you please post the responce you get from Maria so I know what to do also?. Thank you , at least I am not the only one worried about this!. Mick.

Offline mefly2

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 12:11:42 PM »
Yes, let us know, please.

Offline tquieng

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 08:44:01 PM »
Got response from Maria and per Mr Rohrbaugh it is normal wear and tear and no way affect the gun.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2009, 09:30:16 PM »

But none the less distressing if it is your gun.