Author Topic: R9 News Flash...!...  (Read 12257 times)

Offline TW

• Grand Master
R9 News Flash...!...
« on: May 21, 2005, 06:30:43 PM »
>>When I spoke to Eric yesterday he mentioned something I had not heard before...  And that is the fact new guns are now either ready or have just been shipped out with the new "Deer Park" engraving on the slide.  Apparently there are a few more of the pld style "Farmington" slides being heat treated for production but after that - that's it...!  One of these days it would be nice to find out just how many of the Farmington guns were made - which if production continues on current or faster pace...will make our Farmington guns (especially with blue grips...and even more sepecially with silver frames) collector's items on short order...!

Out of curiosity - has anyone here obtained a gun yet with the Deer Park markings...??  Who will be the first...?...!!

Similar subject...  late last year I brought up the idea to Eric of making a chronological registry of R9s for collectors and others interested in such things.  This was back before the move to Deer Park.  At the time it was simply not possible because of the move...but Eric was open to the idea and said to get back to him about it in the Spring.  Well...Spring has almost tured to Summer and I think I will bring up the ideal again...

ERIC...!!...  I know you are out there, and I know you read the forum regularly...so HOW ABOUT it, Bro...?  Are you yet in a position to help work on this registry project...?  If it would be of any help...I will offer to come up again and help with the grunt work...?...!  Or maybe thats a scary enough proposition after my paint job at the factory that you will want to get on this yourself sooner than later...?...!!  Later will work too...but remember - the more guns going out there means all the more work...!  Thoughts please, Sir...?  **TW cups ear to listen**...TW<<

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
Re: R9 News Flash...!...
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2005, 10:22:07 AM »
"..........
...will make our Farmington guns (especially with blue grips...and even more specially with silver frames) collector's items on short order...! "   TW
---------------------------------------

Mine is all of above, PLUS a Neat-o Serial number, 60X  ;D

« Last Edit: May 22, 2005, 10:22:43 AM by RHEDLEY »
RJ=

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2005, 08:43:49 PM »
TW, next time you talk to Eric, please ask him to drop me an e-mail.

Offline Wayne

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2005, 11:10:48 PM »
TW,

This is a very much needed service.

As a bit of background, when I first found a dealer with an R9 in stock, I specifically asked if it had the Farmingdale marking on the slide, which it did, -so I got it quickly.  It wasn't until after I got in touch with Eric that I learned about the excess Farmingdale slides that were actually being consumed in production at the new facility.  Turns out that there were only about 300-350 R9's produced at the original facility, mine not being one of them.  If there was a registry, I might have had that information much sooner.  As much as I like my R9, I have to admit I was somewhat disappointed to learn that I didn't have exactly what I thought ( and read on the slide ) I had.

Plus, when you add in the fact that the serial numbers on the frame only represent a chronology of frame manufacturing (not a completed unit), it adds further confusion.

I know, for each serial number, I would like to see the following:
- Serial Number
- Date Shipped from the factory
- Slide marking (farmingdale / deer park)
- Model marking (R9 / R9s)
- Factory of origin
- Grip color
- Frame color
- Sights / un-sighted

I'm just not clear how this information will be made available, should Eric go ahead and provide it.  Also, do you see this as something that will be kept up with for each R9 produced in perpetuity?  Should this apply to all future caliber Rohrbaugh pistols, as well?

Details, details. . .  ;)

Offline justin2992

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2005, 11:58:29 PM »
How many sets of the blue grips were made?  300-350?
I tried my damnest to get the silver frame model, but by the time I decided to buy it was too late :'(
« Last Edit: May 23, 2005, 12:04:00 AM by justin2992 »
The 1938 Nazi Weapons Law is alive and well in the United States, and is called, "The Gun Control act of 1968", and is enforced by the modern day gestapo, known as the BATF.

Offline TW

• Grand Master
R9 News Flash...!...
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2005, 02:16:55 AM »
>>Hey RJ...I'll swap you one of my R9s PLUS a chunk of unused bubble gum for that 'Ol silver framed R9 of yours...what do you say...?...!  Pleeeeeeeeaze...??

And Fudster...chances are you just asked Eric yourself to call you (Eric - you hear that?).  So if he does call...let me know.  Otherwise you might call Maria and have her ask Eric to call you when he gets a chance (??)...although I don't know if that is current protocol or not.  I will try to remember to tell Eric myself next time I speak with him...but please realize I don't get to talk with him all that often as I try to respect his privacy at home these days (I haven't tried to get him at work myself in a long time).  

Regarding my contact with Eric...  I mostly just hear from Eric when there is something big going on (like the PA gathering or a cool beaner R9 happening)...and I guess I'm one of several people around here he chats with about what he sees here on the forum...!  

Eric really does come here to read and enjoy what folks have to say, and he views the Rohrbaugh forum as the "R9 clubhouse", although he is also careful to say it is not an official body or spokesvenue of Rohrbaugh Firearms - one of those frickin lawyer things...which is also why you don't see him post here...  Not that he wouldn't like to...just has to walk a thin line with lawyers on one side and us on another...all part of being a Rock Star - lol.  HOWEVER...  His hands and mouth are NOT so tied when it comes to joining us at things like the PA gathering...which is why he is so excited about it, and hopes as many forum members as can will also try to make it...!

Wayne...I like your ideas for info to cover in a registry.  Have you, or anyone else here, ever seen such a gun registry before...?  I haven't.  I don't know WHO would be maintaining such a registry, although it would certainly require that someone at Rohrbaugh Firearms either do it themselves or feed data on a regular basis to someone else who might do it.  I'm sure the Rohrbaugh crew are not looking for something additional to do...but as I see it - once it is caught up...might not be that much work to send to someone else...maybe...?  Regardless of who does the work...my original thought was to have it done or shared here so Rohrbaugh forum members could benefit from it...or maybe have Chris add it to his FAQ site.  I'm hardly the brains behind this idea...I'd just like to use it myself - lol...!  Anyone else have any thoughts on this...?...Duane...?...Chris...?

I'm not sure how many sets of blue grips were made...but 300-350 sounds about right...maybe a few more than that.

And with that - I'm off to bed...TW<<

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2005, 08:00:33 AM »
TW
Eat your heart out........... ;D

« Last Edit: May 23, 2005, 08:12:52 AM by RHEDLEY »
RJ=

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member &amp; Cert. Pistol Instructor
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2005, 08:44:47 AM »
Are the earliest guns without the "R" prefix ? I have a lower s# than 600 (246 & R141) niether have silver frames, both have blue grips & only #246 has R9S on the slide even though both have sights. Both are Farmingdale slides. :P ::) :o
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2005, 08:50:54 AM »
My gun is a fluke,  It was submitted to Rohrbaugh as a Sample from a Plating Vendor.  I had a request in for a silver one if possible, and this one popped up, and  I grabbed it, and was told there were "NO more."
RJ=

Offline justin2992

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2005, 11:23:32 AM »
RJ:

That looks like an electroless nickel finish or maybe even hardchrome.

I only know of two places that will hardchrome aluminum frames:
http://www.mahovskysmetalife.com/
http://www.fordsguns.com/

It seems like a more durable option over the anodizing plus you can have that silver frame that you always wanted.
The 1938 Nazi Weapons Law is alive and well in the United States, and is called, "The Gun Control act of 1968", and is enforced by the modern day gestapo, known as the BATF.

Offline TW

• Grand Master
R9 News Flash...!...
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2005, 11:27:54 AM »
>>RJ...  I AM eating my heart out...!  Wow...what a BEAUTIFUL gun...!  Soooooo...why does it not have a serial # "RS", rather than simply "R"...?  And why does this 'Lil gem have black grips on it...?  I'm TELLING you, RJ...that gun is defective...which is why, out of the kindness of my heart, my offer stands...!

Also (for Newt too) ...I had thought the earlier guns had "RS" markings.  Hmmmm...YEP, we definately need a registry...TW<<

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2005, 12:25:55 AM »
''RS''??  Nah - not to my knowledge TW.!!  :P

IMO the ''registry'' idea should be something akin to S&W - a way to date an individual gun - no info on owner (for public display) but a means to track the history from the factory etc.  This would help re the variance on sequence of S/N's and the frame and slide changes and when.  

It would be nice to periodically have a fairly current list on my site tho over time it would get huge!!  So maybe - this is something just for factory - even to point where one day folks need to pay a small fee to cover the time involved in bringing up the info.  Remember - Eric has little spare time!

Now RJ has gone and shown his early one - I thought Ok - my turn!!  So here are my pup twins.  The early Farmingdale is marked R9s - the S/N is 32x ...... silver frame and blue grips of course.  Trying to remember now - one of 45 or so perhaps.

#2 is the newer frame color - S/N R30x (ignore my spoof S/N on the pic!!) .... still blue grips - slide is farmingdale but now no ''s'' any more.

My first has only had 300 rounds or so thru - already has been treated (unnecessarily) to a new recoil spring and is now resting mostly in a quiety corner of the safe - on green velvet!  I am beginning to find it hard to put a value on it - it is so special.

Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline TW

• Grand Master
R9 News Flash...!...
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2005, 12:40:10 AM »
>>Very nice, Chris...!  If I had both the opportunity and money at the same time I would jump on the opportunity to purchase a silver frame R9...!!  Maybe one day.  Meanwhile I get a whole lot of enjoyment out of my two R9s...!!...!!

You make some good points about the R9 registry.  And if we were to somehow have one made up of guns to present...at least we would know where OUR early collectable guns stand...ya know...?  It certainly would be a major service to the R9 community if the factory folks were to develop and maintain a registry.  I'd chip in some bucks right now to see it get started...!...TW<<

I have a niave question...  Why is it that people on the internet are often shy to make public the entire serial number of their guns?  What is the "at risk" factor here?

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2005, 12:48:48 AM »
TW - I think the ''risk factor'' with S/N's is probably negligable.  However - worst case - just perhaps someone wants to claim they have gun # such and such, when they don't - or perhaps too there is a feeling of loss of privacy.

May seem trivial but I guess my feeling is - I don't have to divulge all of it - so I won't! :P ;D   This smilie says it all ..........

Haha!  :D
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Wayne

• Expert
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2005, 09:51:31 PM »
I have a niave question...  Why is it that people on the internet are often shy to make public the entire serial number of their guns?  What is the "at risk" factor here?
To give a rather anal answer to your question, it is very possible to track an internet conversation (connection) back to a subscriber of an internet provider.  Any government agency operating under the auspices of the Patriot act, such as DHS, can track a posted picture (or any web conversation) back to a gateway provider, and back to a user of the service.  This is almost a trivial task and is performed daily by many different branches of law enforcement.  The conversation between the user and the target web site logs a sender and a receiver.  Just as an FYI, the protocol typically used for web conversations is HTTP over IP (TCP/IP) and requires the identification of both the sender and the receiver's IP address.  The request(s) and respons(es) are routed directly between the two parties, not sent all over the Internet, hoping there is a receiver at either end.  From a single contact between a web server and a browser, one can get the visitor's IP address, the browser type, the operating system, the page the request came from ("referrer") and a whole lot of other information.  The service provider can be compelled to provide who was registered to the IP address at that time.  Viola, a link is made between the posted picture with serial number to an actual persion!

Now, the question becomes, "does the average Joe who posts his picture remove the serial number because he is aware of this tactic?"  Probably not.  If this is something that bothers you, then consider it when you post pictures, offer opinions, or otherwise contribute.  Just be aware that this isn't something that you have a whole lot of control over anyway, plus I would hate to see this site without the pictures of all the cool guns!  ;)

If you really want to get "freaked out", go to Google maps and be sure to click on the satellite link on the top right portion of the page.  You can enter a street address and actually see a satellite picture.  I found my own backyard! :o

TW - As to your question in an earlier post, I have not heard of a registry before.  But I do agree with you and others on several points that were made:
1) It could be a very valuable source of information, particularly to the afficionados of the R9.
2) I'm sure the Rohrbaugh brothers have much better/more important things to do with their time (i.e. produce R9s!)
3) Ownership should be anonymous.  For sure, I wouldn't want to see "R9S, blue grips, serial number xxxx purchased by Wayne on xx/xx/xx" posted all over the place.  But if I were buying another or (heaven forbid) selling one, I would like to be able to offer proof as to it's lineage.

If you speak with Eric and he indicates that there may be some way for him to provide this information, I will go ahead and throw my hat in as a volunteer.  I can be PM'd for details.