Author Topic: Well... I joined the club!  (Read 11857 times)

Offline T-Man

• Sharpshooter
Well... I joined the club!
« on: May 31, 2011, 01:08:56 PM »
...and bought a brand new R9 Stealth on May 19th.  I couldn't be happier!  I've always admired this little pistol's design and workmanship and I can't imagine a more perfect pocket pistol.

I took it out for its inaugural range sessions on 5/20 and 5/21, putting a total of 200 rounds though my new PUP.  Ammo used was Winchester 115 FMJ and Speer 115 and 124 GD.  Of course, I changed out the recoil spring after it digested the 200 rounds.  The only hiccup I had was one failure to feed with the Win FMJ, where the bullet nose hung up on the bottom of the feed ramp.  I couldn't account for why that happened, but had no other failures. 

I consider myself to be a pretty good pistol shooter, but at first, I had difficulty figuring out how to shoot a pistol this small.  Eventually, I discovered I have to put a death grip on it and choke up on the grip as much as possible to get decent groups out of it.  I was finally getting roughly 3" groups at 15 yds with the 115 GD, which it seems to favor over the other 2 ammo.  

I ended up buying a set of checkered VZ grips for it, which feel much better than the stock grips, and I feel the checkering will help give me better control.  I haven't had an opportunity to shoot it since I got the new grips.

Pics forthcoming... once I figure out how to post pics.

I've been reading this forum for several months prior to buying my R9.  There seems to be a knowledgeable group of folks here, and I look forward to becoming a contributing member.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 01:11:31 PM by T-Man »
Ted

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
Re: Well... I joined the club!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 01:16:24 PM »
Welcome to the club T-Man!

And congrats on your purchase.  Glad to see that you are enjoying it as well.

Good range report.  And yeah, a lot of us love those VZ's.

Please post often.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 01:24:26 PM »
T-Man.  Welcome to the Forum and congrats on getting the Stealth.  Thanks as well for the range report.  Good selection on ammo and continue to enjoy!

Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Big_John_1961

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 02:40:20 PM »
Congrats on the R9, Ted.  Nice report and I look forward to the pics.

Offline LostangelinTX

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 04:02:25 PM »
Supposed to pick up mine today.  Can't wait.  

Offline Marshbrook

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 04:28:42 PM »
T-man ....welcome & enjoy your new R9!

Offline T-Man

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 04:42:38 PM »
Thanks for the welcome, guys!

One other thing...
I kept hearing how "difficult" these pistols are to take down and reassemble, but I didn't find mine to be especially difficult at all.  The recoil spring assy took a little effort to put back in place, but I didn't need any tools to do so, and I managed not to launch anything across the room in the process. ;D

My go-to gun oil has been Break Free CLP, so that's what I used to lubricate the R9 upon reassembly.  Has anyone had any issues with this oil not working as well as another or any reason I shouldn't use it?  Is there any particular lube more recommended than the others?

Thx!
Ted

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 05:01:08 PM »
Welcome to the forum and enjoy the PUP.

Offline JR956678

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 08:41:51 AM »
Is there any particular lube more recommended than the others?

Over the years I've tried many but my current "favorite" - for my pup as well as all my other guns, is Gun Butter (there's a thread on this forum about it). I particularly like that it stays "in place" and doesn't migrate away from bearing surfaces, it stays "wet" for as long as I've had to test it, and it makes cleaning much easier as carbon and crud wipes off easily from any surface coated with it. It also just makes the gun "feel smooth".

Offline LostangelinTX

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 09:14:41 AM »

Over the years I've tried many but my current "favorite" - for my pup as well as all my other guns, is Gun Butter (there's a thread on this forum about it). I particularly like that it stays "in place" and doesn't migrate away from bearing surfaces, it stays "wet" for as long as I've had to test it, and it makes cleaning much easier as carbon and crud wipes off easily from any surface coated with it. It also just makes the gun "feel smooth".

This is my go to oil as well. Love the stuff on everything from my AR to my 1911 and I'm sure my pup will get it as well

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 09:55:54 AM »
Ted:

Welcome to the "Club," and thanks for posting that excellent report.

There are a lot of superb gun cleaners and lubricants out there and everyone will have his or her favorites. I personally use Ballistol and a touch of SuperLube along the slide/frame interface. To help preserve the exterior surfaces I use Renaissance Wax and silicone wipes.

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 09:57:31 AM »
Ted, Welcome to the group. Enjoy the new pup.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 11:25:31 AM »
Ted, conrats on the new pup. FMJ can be alittle long.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline hdfb910

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 03:06:34 PM »
Welcome and enjoy the new Pup

Offline T-Man

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2012, 01:33:15 AM »
It's been 1-1/2 years since I joined and last posted.  I've undergone a lot of major changes in my life that has prevented my return, but one thing has remained constant -- my Stealth is still with me.  I normally wouldn't revive a thread this old, but since I'm the OP and it provides the background for how my love affair with my Stealth began, I thought it was the perfect place to post a couple pics.

Since my last range report, the Stealth is still running flawlessly, and it has exceeded my expectations!  So... here she is in all her stealthy splendor, complete with checkered black cherry VZ's...
Ted