Author Topic: Well... I joined the club!  (Read 11858 times)

Offline Z

• Grand Master
Re: Well... I joined the club!
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2012, 05:50:46 AM »
Ted

Welcome back. 
Your PUP is looking good! :)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2012, 09:33:56 AM »
It's good to have you back, Ted. Those VZ grips really set off that Stealth of yours.

Don't be a stranger.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2012, 10:19:49 AM »
What grain of Gold Dots are those?

What ammo do you normally fire through your R9 ?

How often do you shoot it?

About how many rounds do you put through your R9 each time to the range?

Inquiring minds want to know...   :)

Offline T-Man

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2012, 07:41:52 PM »
What grain of Gold Dots are those?

What ammo do you normally fire through your R9 ?

How often do you shoot it?

About how many rounds do you put through your R9 each time to the range?

Inquiring minds want to know...   :)

They're 115's.  Tried the 124 GD's as well, but I think the 115's shoot a little better.

I normally shoot Winchester 115 FMJ for practice.  It's cheap and it shoots pretty well in mine.  I shoot the 115 GD only on occasion, and it's my carry ammo.

I shoot it about once a month.  Don't shoot it as often as my other pistols.  As much as I love it, I have to admit it isn't as fun to shoot as my Sig P229, H&K P7, 1911's, and various .22's... but it's much more comfortable to carry!

When I first got it, I was shooting 50 - 100 rounds through it each time I took it to the range.  Have replaced the recoil spring twice.  Now, I shoot 18 - 20 rounds each range session. 
Ted

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
Cool thanks for the info
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2012, 09:42:28 PM »
I have a P7M8, I just took it through a course earlier this month - it's a GREAT pistol.

I've stocked up on 124gr ammo - Gold Dot, Lawman and Blazzer Brass and I'll probably run them through the R9 in that order.

It's good to know though that 115gr goes through your R9.

Offline T-Man

• Sharpshooter
Re: Cool thanks for the info
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2012, 10:20:19 PM »
I have a P7M8, I just took it through a course earlier this month - it's a GREAT pistol.

Yep, that's what I've got -- P7M8 PSP.  Sent mine to Robar for NP3 Plus coating, added Trijicon night sights, and dressed her up with G4U walnut grips.  It's a fantastic piece!  It shoots incredibly well, and I love the way the grip feels in my hands.  It's a shame the P7 family was discontinued.  I guess they were just too expensive and didn't have high enough mag capacity. 
Ted

Offline Nathan

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2012, 10:29:35 PM »
congrats on R9
Winchester White Box WWB is garbage ammo
my R9 has trouble with it as well
for the same price PMC bronze shoots perfect
and of course speer 124s

keep shootn

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
Blazzer?
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2012, 10:44:03 PM »
What about the Blazzer Brass 124gr FMJ ??

Has anyone had experience with them in their R9 ?

I have never had problems with this ammo, I've never seen signs of QC problems (like I have with Remington and Winchester)

I bought a bunch because I figured if my R9 would shoot OK with 124gr Gold Dots and 124gr Lawman, it would probably do OK with Blazzer Brass 124gr FMJ.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2012, 12:06:19 AM »

I guess they were just too expensive and didn't have high enough mag capacity.

Expensive yes.  Maybe you were not aware of the double stack mag version, the P7M13, Now THAT one is EXPensive! :P
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline thor447

• Master
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2012, 06:01:17 AM »
I have a P7M8 also.  Absolutely one of the finest pistols I've ever shot.  Absolute shame that they were discontinued by HK. 
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington

Offline T-Man

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2012, 01:31:51 AM »

Expensive yes.  Maybe you were not aware of the double stack mag version, the P7M13, Now THAT one is EXPensive! :P

Yes, I'm very aware of the double stack P7M13 and P7M10, but in comparison to the 15+ round capacities available today from Glock, H&K, Sig, S.A., etc. those are still "low capacity" by today's standards.
Ted

Offline T-Man

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2012, 01:40:52 AM »
congrats on R9
Winchester White Box WWB is garbage ammo
my R9 has trouble with it as well
for the same price PMC bronze shoots perfect
and of course speer 124s

keep shootn

I agree for the most part, but it's much more available in my neck o' the woods, for whatever reason.  Still, I haven't had much trouble with it sufficient to prevent me from buying it when it's cheap and readily available.  It shoots acceptably well in my R9 for practice.  I've used the PMC Bronze quite a bit as well, but again, I don't find it in my local stores as often as the Win white box stuff.  I have shot the Blazer ammo.  Basically, I buy whatever non-+P cheap 115 - 124ish gr. ball ammo I can find for practice sessions and fire just enough Gold Dot to gain trust in it for carry. Unlike my rifles, I don't handload for my pistols much.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 01:43:38 AM by T-Man »
Ted

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2012, 02:42:11 PM »

Yes, I'm very aware of the double stack P7M13 and P7M10, but in comparison to the 15+ round capacities available today from Glock, H&K, Sig, S.A., etc. those are still "low capacity" by today's standards.

Gee I just learned someting!  I didin't know that a P7M13 and a Browning HI Power were considered "low capacity" like 7-8 rd 1911s .  :o
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2012, 04:18:07 PM »
Yep, they should have called it the Browning Low Cap.   ;D

Offline T-Man

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2012, 05:33:00 PM »

Gee I just learned someting!  I didin't know that a P7M13 and a Browning HI Power were considered "low capacity" like 7-8 rd 1911s .  :o

Compared to the current gen 9mm full-size pistols, i.e., a 17-rd Glock 17, 16 rd XD, they are!  "Low" capacity is a relative term based on what else is available.  Despite the P7's rather compact size, it's weight is in the full size class due to the all-steel construction.  Most pistols of similar weight have at least 2 additional round capacity.  Even their M10 .40 is 2 rds shy of a Sig P229, for example.  The typical 7-8 rd 1911 is chambered for .45, so it's not an A - A comparison.  1911's have their own appeal due to the wide variety of aftermarket parts and customization options.  Plus, it just has that historical 1911 mystique.  It's the eternal bore dia vs. capacity debate, and both sides have merits.  A sizable % of people who choose 9mm for a carry piece do so because they favor capacity over bore diameter.  As fine a pistol as the P7 is, even the M13 has at least 2 fewer rounds on tap than the current crop of self-defense pistols.  It's price tag compared to most competing pistols didn't help its future either.  Despite all this, I love its ergos, its unique design, low slide mass b/c of the gas piston delay system, low bore axis, narrow, snag-free width, polygonal rifling, accuracy, and proven reliability.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 05:39:18 PM by T-Man »
Ted