Author Topic: Problem Solved!  (Read 7313 times)

Offline Giraffes

• Expert
Problem Solved!
« on: November 16, 2011, 10:41:55 AM »
As I've posted earlier, I was having a hard time with constant FTEs since getting my slide replaced. During my first outing with my updated pup, I was only able to shoot a few rounds of 124 grain Speer Gold Dots without any issues. All other types of ammo resulted in multiple FTEs and quite a few light primer strikes that required a second shot. Needless to say, I was really disappointed.

Well, I got a chance to hit the range again last night after receiving my ammo shipment and things seem to be much better. The session began with a few FTEs with Speer Lawman and American Eagle FMJ but seemed to get better as the night progressed. After about 50 rounds with intermittent issues, I was able to reliably shoot over 60 rounds of mixed Speer & Federal FMJ, 135 grain Federal Hydro Shok and both 124 grain and 115 grain Gold Dots. I'm beginning to think that the new slide and internals just needed to be broken in like some 1911s. However, I did find that I had to tighten my grip screws every 3 to 4 magazines and my pup doesn't care for Hornady Critical Defense. Looks like I'll have to reapply some loctite tonight and feed the rest of my CD to my HK USP.

Thankfully, I think I can avoid sending it back in for any more service. Throughout everything, I've never had any failures with either weight in Gold Dots, which I will continue to carry. I'm a happy camper now!  ;D

PS: sorry for the lengthy post.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: Problem Solved!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 11:58:36 AM »
Giraffes.  Excellent news.  Glad the issue has now been resolved; a good feeling, I'm sure; nice to be a happy camper.  Now, continue to enjoy.    :)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 04:16:33 PM »
Glad your pup is working as it should. If you get a chance try some Winchester Ranger LE ammo (it's the replacement for the old Black Talon ammo) works well in my pup price is good and it is 50 rounds to a box.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Giraffes

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 04:21:50 PM »
KJ - Thanks for the encouragement!

Yankee - Will do. And thanks for the fine craftsmanship of my straight mag extension. I'd be absolute rubbish without it!

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 01:34:57 AM »
Have you fired any 147gr rounds through it?

147gr is what I'd most like to carry, either the Winchester RA9T - Ranger "T" Series, or Federal HST, or possibly the Golden Sabre 147gr.

Offline Giraffes

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 09:29:26 AM »
I have not, but I see some Ranger Ts in my near future. I keep hearing good things about them. I also haven't had a chance to try any Winchester white box for range duty yet. Looks like I should put another ammo order in soon.

Speaking of ordering ammo on line, what sites do you prefer? I've been finding decent deals on Midway and Sportsman's Guide but I'm always looking for reputable suppliers with better pricing.

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 11:39:31 AM »
I have used http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index.php/cName/pistol-ammo?osCsid=qo79iifgk7edli96s8i7saqf55 for a while now and am very satisfied with the many orders they have shipped me.

Offline Giraffes

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 01:55:03 PM »
Wow, much better deals than I've been getting. I've been paying close to $21 for a box of 20 Gold Dots, they're selling boxes of 50 for $25.  :o Thanks for the link, I can afford to shoot more now!

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 05:36:58 PM »

They're an outstanding ammo dealer in beautiful downtown Brenham, Tx..

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 06:04:16 PM »
I bought some 44mag ammo from them just before I left for vacation, quick shipping & good prices.

Here is were I get most of my Winchester Ranger ammo.

http://www.ombexpress.com/c-271-pistol-ammo.aspx
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 06:10:23 PM by yankee2500 »
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Giraffes

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 07:45:55 PM »
Thanks for the link Yankee!

Offline Douglas

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2011, 08:40:03 PM »
Have you fired any 147gr rounds through it?

147gr is what I'd most like to carry, either the Winchester RA9T - Ranger "T" Series, or Federal HST, or possibly the Golden Sabre 147gr.

Not precisely the loads you've asked for, but...

My pup feeds 147g Federal Hydra Shoks like it was made for them. They are what I carry.

It also has no problems with 147g Speer Gold Dots. 

Offline Giraffes

• Expert
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2011, 12:37:14 PM »
Thanks for the recommendation Douglas. I'll have to try some of those too.