Author Topic: Sights vs sightless #  (Read 7490 times)

Offline Covert23

• Sharpshooter
Sights vs sightless #
« on: May 05, 2016, 10:41:03 PM »
Anyone have a ballpark figure as to a number for this history lesson?  Just curious as I couldn't find the answer myself. Thanks, Jim

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
Re: Sights vs sightless #
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 08:53:22 AM »
Early on in production, Karl Rohrbaugh only wanted the sightless as this is an "up close and personal" firearm. . . . sights are not necessary for it's intended use. Bob Jensen, a.k.a. "Blackhawk" on the gun forum "The Firing Line" was insisting that the R9 should have sights, unless, he says, then that "the gun must be inherently inaccurate", surmising that that is why we did not offer sights. I spoke with my brother Karl about the "chatter" on the internet, which as most of you know well know Karl is not a fan of it, I persuaded him the make some sort of diminutive sights for the gun. Hence, the R9S was born and Bob Jensen purchased the first R9 made for the public. I stayed in contact with Bob for many years, however, after his stroke, we lost contact with him. I was able to get his serial number 102 back as we made him a special R9S with the custom serial number "BLACKHAWK-1". So to answer the question: Maybe only 8 - 10% of the approximately 7,000 or so R9 Series Pistols made by Rohrbaugh were sightless models due, in part, to the efforts and conversations with Mr. Jensen on the topic. R9S 102, the first R9 sold to the public, is currently in my possession. 

Eric R. 
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 08:55:47 AM by ECR »
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline Covert23

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 08:58:40 AM »
Thank you for your time Eric. Was just curious if you ever made any after the change in the beginnining. Guess not!  Take care. Jim

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 09:03:32 AM »
Yes, we did make them, just not in quantity. Some of our retailers would order 10 to 15 R9S models and 2 of the non-sighted models. They did sell, but to certain people who understood the concept.

Cheers.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 10:39:18 AM »
Very interesting. 

I knew that my sightless model was not as common as the sighted ones, just did not realize how special it really is.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 01:52:54 PM »
You bet Michael ~ It is a special breed of R9. "The Original Version" brother Karl invented years ago.

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 04:59:51 PM »
Years ago I read a article about a shooter some, well MOST, have heard of: Skeeter Shelton. It was about shooting ANY firearm without using sites, for speed reasons. Bring your handgun at eye level and use the frame to align to the target to NOT look for the sites. 

Now this is obviously not for 25 yard target shooting, but with only one day practice you get AMAZING results. For a small/no site gun like the R9 this is a PERFECT way to shoot.

I have a one year unlimited shooting pass at Point Blank, a midwest range, and shoot 3 times a week. Practice with something cheap to shoot, .22 lr. You will master this new skill in nothing flat. It is a lot quicker to learn than offhand shooting.

kvinqjhps
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Three times a week shooter
Indy resident

Those who disrespect the American flag have never been handed a folded one

Offline Sonny_Boy

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 12:49:31 AM »
My R9 is sightless and I use the slide to aim and consider it a close encounter firearm. Can one really focus on the sights and not the threat under stress? Professionals with continued practice yes, but the common Joe it is questionable.

http://www.pointshooting.com/1nosight.htm.
~If you don't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them~

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 10:27:26 AM »
My R9 is sightless and I use the slide to aim and consider it a close encounter firearm. Can one really focus on the sights and not the threat under stress? Professionals with continued practice yes, but the common Joe it is questionable.

Which begs the question, why even consider a laser sight on a close encounter gun...half the time you have to search for and focus on the dot especially in bright light, which takes longer even than sighting.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 08:50:04 PM »

Which begs the question, why even consider a laser sight on a close encounter gun...half the time you have to search for and focus on the dot especially in bright light, which takes longer even than sighting.

Being I am officially "Out of The Business", I will voice my opinion on small gun laser sights:  Asinine and useless item for such a small sidearm.

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2017, 09:00:47 PM »
I agree.
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2017, 09:38:28 PM »
Not to offend anyone so inclined but I would put porting a Rohrbaugh in the same category. K.I.S.S. and leave it alone in its original condition.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 09:40:57 PM by tracker »

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2017, 11:05:08 PM »
I bought a Cogan RS9 a long time ago. I thought that the porting was cool since I love to shoot my Colt Anaconda .44 Magnum PDT with an 8" barrel and factory porting. Then I read something on this Forum that stated that shooting it at night could blind me, the shooter. It was from a very reliable source. I sold it and never looked back. Love shooting my Anaconda.
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2017, 08:10:25 AM »
Norm  -  I just picked up a Cogan as you know and I will let you know as I plan to try it indoors this week and see what the porting looks like.

My first inclination is that the "flame" will be a lot less than everyone thinks, but I will find out and let everyone know.

I have some real flame throwers, Magna-ported Auto Mag, comped and standard Coonan, and a comped 9X25 Dillon Glock.

The differnce is that the 44 uses 22 grains of powder for  a 240 grain bullet and 29 grains for a 180 grainer.

The Coonans and the 9X25 Glock are using 15 to 20 grains of powder.

The 9mm Rohrbaugh, about 5 grains.

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2017, 08:43:09 AM »
The other reason I sold it was because all the work that Cogan did voided the warranty, which I found out after the fact. I did love looking at it and handling it. As my wife would say, "It was the bomb!"