Author Topic: Why do you like the Rohrbaugh?  (Read 3190 times)

Offline Tailwheel

Why do you like the Rohrbaugh?
« on: September 14, 2023, 07:36:52 PM »
What draws you to this firearm?  Explain your fascination with them.   I’ll go first. 

I enjoy lots of different firearms.   I mostly collect revolvers and pocket guns but my collection is varied.  I love the hunt more than anything.   I love the research and the study to get to know the history.  I especially like it if the engineering is interesting and special.  I think that’s what has drawn me to the Rohrbaugh.  When I hone in on something I try to learn all that there is about the subject.  I find it incredibly special to be able to log on here and read and even participate with Mr. Rohrbaugh.  The R9 faq with the factory tour commentary really is neat.  With the exception of some custom 1911s I don’t know of any other place where we can interact with designers and company founders of a firearm we are interested in.   

So tell me about your R9.  I’m learning there are lots of different variations and want to know all there is about each one. 

If you participate in this thread, thank you in advance. 

Patrick

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Re: Why do you like the Rohrbaugh?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2023, 09:46:16 AM »
This is truly a special firearm, hand gun of the year in 2003 in fact.  As with any well made pistol with tight tolerances, it requires careful maintenance, proper lubrication and knowledgeable use.  Each pistol, since they are basically handmade is an individual and thus demands the user be familiar with whatever idiosyncrasies it might have, including ammo preferences which can be quite variable.  +P can damage the handgun and in addition is likely to somewhat vary the slide timing during the shot, which is not what you want.  There are occasional duds, best sold or retired.  I had a Covert (these were bought in bulk by a dealer in Texas, sent to Wilson Combat for “tuning” and coating).  Mine had a firing pin retainer that would slip sideways, impeding slide action and causing failure to feed.  Eric fixed this at no cost although it is uncertain what actually caused the problem.  Then the dang thing ate the slide pin during firing.  I replaced it but then it did it again, this time damaging one of the rails, so it is retired as unusable.  My other two R9’s, including the Special Forces I bought from Eric have been faultless.
Pro’s:
1.  Tiny…smallest quality 9mm made
2.  Metal, not plastic
3.  A pleasure to hold/snappy to shoot.  The VZ grips add a small amount of width which many like.  A mag            extension best for many shooters.
4.  Absolutely IMO the most comfortable 9mm carry pistol whether IWB, OWB, front or rear pocket.  I have Del Fatti and other quality leathers for belt use, but for pocket prefer the DeSantis Nemesis or Superfly.
5.  Hammer fired with 2nd strike capability.
6.  As with the iconic LWS Seecamp, it is a belly gun for use at “get off of me” ranges intended initially to have no sights.  Although I am a practitioner of point & shoot for this type of pistol, I put some glow paint on the front sight as it helps me with the presentation even though my visual focus is the target.
7.  I think the trigger, at least on mine, is wonderful for a tiny handgun with no safety.
8.  This Forum, with access to Eric Rohrbaugh who keeps an eye on all of us!

What’s not to like?
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline blindman75

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2023, 05:38:39 PM »
I’m new to the Rohrbaugh world myself. Just picked up my first R9 a month or so ago. Always had my eye on the R9. I think it’s the finest pocket piece available .

I purchased a Recluse pocket holster and another pocket holster from Lisa Headley. Both are well made but I’m using the Recluse on a daily basis.

Wanted to make HST run for carry but was having FTF issues. So found the Gold Dots more reliable. Had one FTF with the GD but found if you squeeze the daylights out of this little gem seemed to solve the FTF problems. May try the HSTs again.

Enjoy your new R9.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2023, 08:23:48 AM »
Definitely this is not a pistol if you “limp wrist” it….gotta hold it firmly with a stiff wrist.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Tailwheel

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2023, 09:27:23 PM »
Thanks for the replies so far.  Keep them coming. 

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2023, 08:16:08 PM »
On other forums you often hear about gun owners who pocket carry, take their pistol out of their pocket at the end of the day and find that during the course of their day, the magazine release button was pressed and their magazine is disengaged.

For those guns, it is necessary to get a pocket holster that covers the magazine release button and is stiff enough to keep the button from moving.

I don't have to worry about that with the R9.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2024, 05:49:47 PM »
On other forums you often hear about gun owners who pocket carry, take their pistol out of their pocket at the end of the day and find that during the course of their day, the magazine release button was pressed and their magazine is disengaged.

For those guns, it is necessary to get a pocket holster that covers the magazine release button and is stiff enough to keep the button from moving.

I don't have to worry about that with the R9.

So true "COZO". The European magazine release for a small pistol such as the R9 is paramount! If you train with it, you can actually get pretty fast at reloading it, and, you won't find yourself with a one-shot deringer with this type of mag release.

ecr
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.