Author Topic: DSL  (Read 2165 times)

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
DSL
« on: January 03, 2005, 09:07:27 PM »
Wow I want to have the FAST connect.. 8)
Borrowing a friends laptop as I am away from my home puter for a couple and what a difference this makes..
I do not want to go back to my dial-up.. :'(

I am in the "semi"sticks and no cable,or dsl available as yet..Sorry-won't flip for DSS connect..

For all you all that live "fast",I have the envy.. ;)
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: DSL
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005, 12:25:16 PM »
Brenden ... despite being semi rural where I live, I am also in theory well supplied with phone lines etc.  But a research inquiry revealed - no DSL or cable service available .. yet.  Oh this hi-tech world ... but just not here!!

''Could be 3 months or 6 months'' they said ... well, after years of dial-up and the fact that I am at the machine so much ... I weakened and got hooked up on the Direcway satellite deal.

It is wicked expensive ... and upload still none too rapid but - I have to say, biting the bullet at near $70/mth ... it has to be worth it - for me.  

Interesting .... three weeks ago I downloaded a huge file - it contained a monster collection of XP patches and tools .. most of which I don't need but - thought it could be useful.  277Mb !!!!!! .... came down thru a download manager (from two servers at same time) in under 40 minutes!!! Incredible.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2005, 07:41:22 PM »
R9SCarry,
What is your connect speed avg. with the Direcway and how has the service been?
Reason asked is that I have been less than satisfied as of late with my service with Direct TV..
Thanks,
Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2005, 07:55:20 PM »
Hi Brenden,

Well it ain't perfect (what is?!).  Week or so ago during some very severe conditions down in MD, where I was told there is a ground station .... I lost all use for a coupla hours ... but OK after that.  One of those things I guess... Mother Nature!!

Otherwise, now into second month - really very good.  Now and again I lose the ''system'' light on the modem (means TCP acceleration gone down) but that is usually dealt with by a simple power cycle so no biggie.

Quoted speeds are IIRC ... 500 kb/sec down and 50kb/sec up. In practical terms this Ok, tho the up is a tad slow compared with what I'd like.  Converting those speeds .. we can say that as an example, FTP uploads can clock 20kB/sec or more (over 150 kb) ... and down can whizz up to over 100kB/sec (800kb)  ... that is useful.  Note the difference ... upper case ''B'' bytes ... lower case ''b'' is bits.

Verdict - expensive for sure but - my only choice and overall, pretty pleased.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.