Author Topic: Any Handloaders?  (Read 2578 times)

Offline bluegun

• Sharpshooter
Any Handloaders?
« on: February 21, 2006, 12:34:06 AM »
i'm in my third month of CAS - cowboy shooting - and am watching my times get shorter and my misses and procedurals get fewer.

but the cost!  my god, i feel like i'm shooting myself out of hearth and home.  with a brace of 357/38 revolvers, a brace of 45 colt revolvers, a couple of pistol caliber rifles and a shotgun i'm burning up some serious coin here (lots of practice involved, for me)!

anybody on the forum hand load.  or have any opinions about handloading.  or any prejudices.  just kind of want to get a little --i don't know-- gossipy kind of feel for what other people's histories and experiences have been.

single stage or progressive?  any favorite brands?  any famous "gotchas" in store?  is it that much cheaper?  will i blow myself up?  here's one of my favorites-- will i buy a bunch of stuff, and then decide i want something else and buy a bunch of OTHER stuff at great cost, and how can i avoid that?

just any thoughts you might have would be welcome.  i actually do value the opinions of this forum's members.  i think it's an exceptionally thoughtful group.  don't know why it is, but it seems to be.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 12:34:53 AM by bluegun »

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
Re: Any Handloaders?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 01:12:34 PM »
Reloading shotgun shells is VERY easy -- I used to do it for my dad when I was quite small -- currently, 12 ga's are so cheap, that I think it is a wash, unless you want a premium shell/shot/pattern your gun, etc -- kinda like reloading 9MM or 45 ACP -- unless you have a specific need for it, it doesn't pay.  I've been thinking about getting a reloading set up for my 45-70 since the only cheap ammo has been really bad -- bad brass from remington, and everything bad imaginable from PMC.  Garrett cartridges on the other hand are lovely, just absolutely wonderful -- my gunsmith asked for one to show the local handloaders how they should be done...unfortunately, Garretts are ~$3/round for my load, and kick like mules (I'm taking it to Africa, and those are the big boys.)
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 03:30:14 PM »
Started handloading about 30 years ago - and because a bit strapped did not go in for the Dillon type stuff - tho in retrospect wish I had.  Instead went Lee and really have never regretted it as it has served my needs.

I accept that not having a progressive makes me slow but these days I stick more to ''specials'' - .357 and 44 mags, 454 and particularly my 45-70.  (That latter BTW Brad even of itself makes it all worthwhile!!!  $3 a pop? - phew!!!).

I have over time added extra turrets another press or two - and have other makes of stuff for resizing (I still cast sometimes) - plus a tall Hornady powder measure for rifle work.

I started out with shotshells thru a Lee Loadall - still use it.  Some of the convenience is, knowing that I have on hand enough consumables to load 2,000 rounds and so if out of shells, no need to go to store- just crank some out!

I do buy factory 9mm these days but still load 38spl for PPC shooting.  Got 3,000 45 cases too which I oughta load up, when I cast or get some bullets!

Blue - if you like the idea of reloading and have patience - start small - get a single station press and work up some loads - and if time enough you can still make up quite a few over time.  Then if you like it and get on well - invest in a Dillon - go progressive.  Forget that main cost and then for years to come benefit from your convenience and control.  Nothing like handloading to ''tune'' a load to a specific gun.

There is quite a lot to learn but get some books early on and/or find someone who does it - and watch!  Lyman Manual #48 is current tho I prefer earlier #47.  Speer #13, Lee reloading book 2nd edition - oh and Dean Grennell's ABC's of reloading.  I learned all from books originally.

Oh and - some load data PDF's files can be found on line too.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline bluegun

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 06:53:21 PM »
thanks pards. food for thought.

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 08:28:35 PM »
I would complain about the price, but...they're the best feeding rounds I've ever used, the holes are touching, when it isn't an error due to me, and it's scary how much stuff it'll fly through -- penetration will NOT be an issue -- I wouldn't use them for anything other than Africa -- well, I may get his lighter loads if I'm going after bear -- they really are the best made cartridges I've ever seen -- but certainly not for plinking.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline bluegun

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 10:21:27 PM »
" . . . but certainly not for plinking."

i don't know.  seems like they'd be perfect for teaching those tin cans a lesson.

i hate those cans.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2006, 01:14:50 AM »
Blue - hey, 22's do cans - at 1.6 cents a pop!!

Better value - more cans ;D
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006, 01:57:41 PM »
If you are going to reload lots of different cals, I would go with the Dillion 550. It will not take too long to pay for it and then on to saving money. Dillion also makes a shot shell loader.
Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Billmack

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2006, 09:24:26 PM »
Blue,

I’ve been reloading for about 10 plus years. I shoot NRA conventional bullseye as well as action matches. In order to match my guns to the right bullet / powder combination, I had basically two options.

One is to buy from a custom reloader. (Big bucks)   Second is to hand load.

When I made the decision to get serious about shooting, I asked the “highmaster shooters” at my club for their reconditions on machines. The answers were unanimous. Dillon.

I now own 2- 550’s and one 1050. Perhaps more then I need but they all get a good work-out.

The 550 is a straight forward easy to operate machine. It has the capability to load both rifle and pistol cartridges.    

If you buy one, and for some reason down the road decide you want out, you’ll have no problem selling it. I can’t believe it would ever come to that but who knows.

Dillon has their famous “No bull” policy which I think other companies should take notice of. If ever, for any reason you have a problem with there loaders (except the 1050) Dillon will provide a replacement part for free. I broke a part or two in the past. Not Dillon’s fault in any way. My stupidity working over time. No problem. A call to the company, no questions asked. Within a week, a replacement part was waiting in my mail box.

Additionally, they have a top notch help desk. The help folks are pleasant and very knowledgeable. (As it should be)  I’ve used it in the past and the technician stayed on the phone while I made the adjustments he had suggested.  One time, I had the guy on the phone for 45 minutes. (It’s an 800 number)

I buy bullets, brass, primers and powder in bulk to help reduce the overall cost of loading.
It’s not unusual for a number of my fellow shooters & me to combine our reloading component orders  in order to save a few bucks.

As far as shotgun loading goes, I use a MEC 650. With the prices of shotgun shells recently, my machine is collecting dust. Many stores are selling target loads cheaper then I can reload.

Sorry for such a long post.

Good luck.

Bill