Author Topic: Good .45 Range Ammo  (Read 4233 times)

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
Good .45 Range Ammo
« on: February 20, 2017, 11:55:34 AM »
I just bought myself a birthday gift...a Wilson Combat Stainless Classic Supergrade .45. Wilson recommends 300-500 rounds of 185-200 ball ammo to properly break it in. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
Re: Good .45 Range Ammo
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 12:20:21 PM »
I have found that the Winchester White Box 230 grain FMJ's that you can get at Walmart shoot well and are pretty economical.

I use them for practice in my SA XDs45 and used them in my Boberg XR45s. 

You can find deals online also.

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 12:25:11 PM »
It's a buyers market for ammo right now.  Perfect time to stock up on range ammo.  I got some rounds made in Humgary by GECO that shoot beautifully. 

http://sgammo.com/product/geco/1000-round-case-45-auto-230-grain-fmj-ammo-made-geco-hungary

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 12:26:47 PM »
Both of the above recs are 230 gr. Am I ok since they suggested 185-200gr?
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 12:35:56 PM »
The only thing I could see on their website is that break-in rounds should be "Full power", but not +P 230gr.

From the Wilson website:

Quality ammunition is important when shooting a 1911-style pistol. We suggest quality, domestic brass cased factory new ammunition for best results. It is important to use ammunition that closely approximates the profile of 230 FMJ ammunition for best reliability.
Your Wilson Combat pistol is a precision-fitted firearm and deserves high quality ammunition. The 1911 handgun design requires ammunition to fall between a range of parameters for proper function.
For factory ammunition, only our line of custom ammunition is specifically designed for 1911 handguns and it will be the optimum ammunition for your pistol.
http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Wilson-Combat-Custom-Handgun-Ammunition/departments/134/
We do not recommend +P, 230 grain ammunition in any compact 1911 handguns.
We do not recommend Critical Defense/Duty ammunition or other ammunition with a soft polymer tip.

Your new pistol is tightly fitted to very close tolerances to achieve maximum accuracy.
Even though a Wilson Combat pistol has been thoroughly tested by a professional test shooter with almost 100 rounds of our custom loaded ammunition, it will still require a thorough break-in to achieve reliable function across a broad spectrum of shooters and ammunition.
Load and unload your new magazines several times and keep them loaded for several days in advance of your first range day to allow the stiff springs to take an initial set.  This will make them easier to load and reduce pressure on the bottom of the slide that could cause a malfunction.
Ensure that your pistol is well lubricated with a light oil like Ultima Lube II Oil or Ultima Lube II Lite Oil during break in.
http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Ultima-Lube-II/products/432/
Shoot a minimum of 300- 500 rounds of full charge ammunition through your pistol prior to disassembly and cleaning for the first time.  Keep your custom pistol well lubricated throughout this break-in period. If you experience recurrent malfunctions, clean and lubricate your pistol during break in regardless of round count. Firearms will require fresh lubrication when new since most guns leave the shop with minimal lubricant added.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 12:53:21 PM »
I would think so, but I should read better.   :(

When you say ball, I always think 230 grain.

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 01:07:14 PM »
I saw that rec on their web site also. Thank you.  What got me a bit confused was I was on the phone with them this morning talking about some new mags they came out with & the rep advised me to use their Wilson Combat Hornady 200 gr bullets for break in...not cheap. Got me thinking...

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 01:55:28 PM »
Do they make Wilson Combat Hornady in ball loads?  It seems strange that they would recommend ball ammo in one place and hollow points over the phone.  At $1.50 per round, that break-in starts to add up.

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 03:57:46 PM »
It sure does!

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 04:13:12 PM »
Norm

I was just looking your pistol up.  Is it a blued slide or all stainless?

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 04:20:40 PM »

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2017, 05:17:48 PM »

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2017, 04:58:59 PM »
The old tried and true 'flying ashtray' still has a excellent record. It also has a great feed record.
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Three times a week shooter
Indy resident

Those who disrespect the American flag have never been handed a folded one