Author Topic: grip with green Robar poly  (Read 7955 times)

Offline bspooky

grip with green Robar poly
« on: June 26, 2011, 01:20:51 AM »
OK, I have a R9 inbound and will be test firing it in the next week or two and then sending to Robar, hopefully for their dark green Poly-T2 coating with the NPS+ on internals.

What I need is a nice grip to complement the dark green (http://www.robarguns.com/poly_t2.html and the second picture shows an example). Now, I know a) looks are not everything, but they do help  ;D and b) I know the dark green won't be (m)any people's choice on a gun like this, but it happens to be my favorite color.

Question: What grips to get for it? I like the looks/quality of the VZ's but not sure if they match up well with the green. On a black slide, I would easily go with the black/cherry. And maybe those would be fine on the dark green and even thought about the hyena brown, but any other third party grips out there?

Thanks!

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
Re: grip with green Robar poly
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 02:03:02 AM »
bspooky,  Welcome to the group. Interesting finish and choice of colors. I have the NP3 on my pup and have been very pleased with it.  You might consider getting some Aluminum grips and having them finished with the gun.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 02:04:33 AM by yankee2500 »
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 04:46:01 AM »
Welcome to the forum Bspooky!

Yeah that's a great idea Yankee, matching grips.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Robar233

• Master
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 09:59:53 AM »
Spooky,

Welcome! Congrats on your purchase, I am sure you will enjoy it. I think Yankee hit the nail on the head. I am sure you could send out aluminum grips and get them anodized/coated to the color of your choice. I would like to see pictures of your pup when it is done. Please post some. I was wondering why the NP3+ on the internals and not the poly T inside as well?

Offline bspooky

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 10:41:06 AM »
........ You might consider getting some Aluminum grips and having them finished with the gun.

Thanks for the welcome all. And that is an interesting idea I hadn't considered, getting the natural/silver aluminum grips and having them do them too.

But where would I get those grips? Google searching led me to a thread here (http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=Accessories;action=display;num=1287933180) talking about (some at least) may be low quality. Alumagrips site, which I had seen last night, didn't list the R9 in their products section.

Rober233, it was my understanding they don't do the poly on internals. If that is errant information and there is not a downside on doing that finish inside I'll be all over doing dark green there too.  :)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 10:42:02 AM by bspooky »

Offline Robar233

• Master
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 11:09:33 AM »
Spooky,
 The poly T is new to me, I just looked into it this week. I did not know they don't use it on internals. I have NP3 on two pistols and I think it is great.
 I wonder if the poly T is too thick for internals? I had a very bad experience with a product called Z-Coat years ago. I had it done to a Sig. In order to keep the overall dimensions in spec they stripped off the black anodize finish on the frame then applied their finish. The gun started to malfunction (FT feed) in 50 rounds. I sent it to Sig. They told me the Z-coat had the Rockwell hardness of peanut butter and that the black anodized finish helped support the frame. The pistol was toast! I am now VERY careful with aftermarket coatings/finishes.

Offline bspooky

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 12:46:09 PM »
Yikes Robar233....that is a scary scenario!

I may need to shoot them an email and ask why they do NP3 internally but Poly T2 external...maybe I am wrong about that but even on their price sheet it looks that way. Hmmmm.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 02:21:53 PM »
bspooky.  Welcome to the Forum and congrats on the inbound R9.  Looking at the price sheet you could get the Poly-T2, plus one mag, and the internals done in NP3 Plus for $365 if the price sheet is current.  It says Roguard or Poly-T2.

Great idea on the green.  Looking forward to seeing those pictures when finished.  

http://www.robarguns.com/Robar%20Price%20List%20April%202010.pdf
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 02:34:20 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 09:43:45 PM »
author=bspooky link=board=Accessories;num=1309062051;start=0#0 date=06/26/11 at 00:20:51]OK, I have a R9 inbound and will be test firing it in the next week or two and then sending to Robar, hopefully for their dark green Poly-T2 coating with the NPS+ on internals.

What I need is a nice grip to complement the dark green (http://www.robarguns.com/poly_t2.html and the second picture shows an example). Now, I know a) looks are not everything, but they do help  ;D and b) I know the dark green won't be (m)any people's choice on a gun like this, but it happens to be my favorite color.

Question: What grips to get for it? I like the looks/quality of the VZ's but not sure if they match up well with the green. On a black slide, I would easily go with the black/cherry. And maybe those would be fine on the dark green and even thought about the hyena brown, but any other third party grips out there?

Thanks!

bspooky:

Welcome to the Forum, and congratulations on your R9 project.

Alumagrips has produced grips for the R9 in the past and probably can still do so. For your "green" project, you might consider a set of their OD green grips, shown here on my "Farmingdale":

. . . or you could order a pair of their plain aluminum grips, shown below, and have Robar coat them in your choice of color:

. . . and, as you mention, the VZ grips in Hyena Brown would look very good on the Robar green, I would think:

. . . and there is always this option, if you are patient and tenacious and follow the requirements of CITES:

Good luck with your project, and please post photographs of the final result.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 09:57:18 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline bspooky

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 02:47:47 PM »
Richard, those are some nice specimens you have there!!!!

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 07:50:06 PM »
Richard, those are some nice specimens you have there!!!!

Thank you, Sir. I freely admit to being something of a "grip and holster junkie."

Meanwhile, I look forward to seeing photographs of that one-of-a-kind R9 you and Robar are planning.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline bspooky

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 08:35:42 PM »

Meanwhile, I look forward to seeing photographs of that one-of-a-kind R9 you and Robar are planning.

LOL. I will most definitely post photos here. The R9 has shipped, some silver aluminum grips (to be dark greened hopefully) are on order from alumagrips, and because I can't decide if I will love those or not, I will likely get the heyena brown VZ grips too if nothing else grabs my attention over the next few weeks awaiting for the Robar work. Not sure if I want smooth or textured VZ grips yet. The smooth looks like it offers some grippy-ness already.

I hope to shoot the gun later this week or next and send her off to Robar and hope they don't have too much a back log.  ;D
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 08:37:55 PM by bspooky »

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 12:03:43 AM »
I'd like to see the Poly-T2 in green.

I hope the OP comes back and posts some pics !

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 11:48:58 PM »
First, welcome to the forum BS Pookie....(been around the world, so forgive me if I've mis-represented the interpretation of your forum name)  Anyway, I'm totally diggin' the Yank's idea...please post pix.  And Richard S, love seein' the pix...good stuff...and KJ, how good is it of you to look up the details and pass them to Pookie...  Pookie, stick around this forum and you'll find, just as I have, that you have friends that you have never met.  Please post pix of the finished product. 
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop