Author Topic: Own Your Skill Level  (Read 1122 times)

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
Own Your Skill Level
« on: September 11, 2013, 03:46:10 PM »
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline Buffalo

• Expert
Re: Own Your Skill Level
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 09:28:17 PM »
Truly a great article.
Some people can't take negative statements, but no person is perfect.  We can always improve when we accept our flaws as areas to improve.
“If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
― The Dalai Lama (May 2001)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Own Your Skill Level
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 09:41:40 PM »
It is an excellent article because I think many of us can remember a pivotal point where criticism converted performance to a higher level. One of my poignant recollections was in Navy basic flight training. It was in a T-34 at NAS Saufley Field. I was scheduled for cross wind landing training with my very vocal instructor in the back seat. We flew to Silver Hill, a small airport in southern Alabama to practice numerous cross wind landings--15-20 knots or so from the side. After he screamed at me incessantly and told me that I would flip us over faster than a popcorn fart, things seemed to improve a bit. Finally, he said, "Ok, Herman, let's go home." That was a turning point.

Three flights later we flew back to Silver Hill and made a few touch and gos. Captain Ken Evans told me to pull over and let him out. I made 6 T&Gs; he climbed back in and said I was safe to solo. That night at happy hour he cut my tie in half and we became good friends.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 10:39:28 PM by tracker »