Author Topic: r9 with failures  (Read 17855 times)

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
Re: r9 with failures
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2016, 11:20:36 AM »
Williams Gunsights does the repair work on the R9's.

(800) 530-9028

Ask for Alex or Alec. Not sure.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2016, 05:46:02 PM »
Bell. . . . If Williams can't help with those parts, I may be able to. I am currently in the middle of rearranging and cleaning up our home right now, so when I come across a box of parts I have laying around I'll give a look and, if I have one, I can send one to you. It may be a while yet, but I can get back to you on this soon as I find the box and have a look for that piece.
 Ok?. . . . ok.............

Regards,

Eric R.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline Bell3156

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2016, 09:06:04 PM »
Williams quoted me $35 for the part via email, I will call them tomorrow and get the part.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2016, 09:39:24 PM »
Definitely get some outer springs too Bell. They need changed every 200 rounds sir.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline Bell3156

« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2016, 12:09:12 AM »
I have 3 spring sets from Wolff.

Offline johnny

• Master
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2016, 06:44:30 AM »
  Eric,
 In your opinion,how many rounds a year do you think is a good number to run through the R9 without things,besides springs,beginning to wear?Now I understand the more rounds over time,the more wear is going to happen,naturally.Just kind of curious what your thoughts are on this.I have plenty of springs,but you know there are other parts to think about.
                                                                                              Johnny

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2016, 12:35:49 PM »
  Eric,
 In your opinion,how many rounds a year do you think is a good number to run through the R9 without things,besides springs,beginning to wear?Now I understand the more rounds over time,the more wear is going to happen,naturally.Just kind of curious what your thoughts are on this.I have plenty of springs,but you know there are other parts to think about.
                                                                                              Johnny

Good Afternoon Johnny,

Here’s my take on how often the R9 can be fired. We are at the minimum dimensions on this firearm for it to be the smallest and lightest in its class of mini 9mm pistols of a high quality manufacture. With that in mind, Karl and I followed these steps with our own personal R9 pistols for carry:  First outing, put three magazines through the gun. No issues? . . . . Fine. . . . Then clean and oil it and put it on your hip and carry it. We would not even shoot it again for perhaps 6 – 7 months . . . even up to a year from the initial process, before putting say a magazine or two through the gun again and then repeat the process: Clean and oil it and put it on your hip and carry it. We feel there is no real need to be shooting it all the time. The chances of you actually being in “a gun fight” are minimal at best. Those are the simple facts. If you feel you have to shoot the gun more, for the sake of keeping the wear to a minimum, I would perhaps shoot just a couple of mags per month.

I hope this information answers your question.

Sincere Regards,

Eric C. Rohrbaugh
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2016, 02:46:38 PM »

Certainly the R-9, as it was designed, is a precision machine at the limits of tolerances for this size.  It is precisely this reason that I tend to doubt that Remington can mass produce this gun in 9mm for $450 and provide a lifetime warranty.

I think Eric would agree that the R-380, however, is a tank that you could probably shoot as much as you reasonably want.  The difference in the stress on the gun is between 9mm and .380 ACP is quite significant.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2016, 06:34:32 PM »
Exactly Duane. The R380 always had the potential to be more of a gun you could shoot without much of an issue. . . . . The R9 (9mm) . . . .  well. . . . . You are putting everything to the max. . . . . . But it does work well when used as the designer intended. It is used for a specific purpose only. . . . self-protection.

Offline johnny

• Master
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2016, 08:05:26 PM »
  Well that all makes total sense to me.
    I did go out to the range yesterday morning.I had mags all loaded up because it was 3 degrees out and the hands get cold fast without gloves,add to that I have to use my weak hand because I am still recuperating from a right arm injury I got up in Saskatchewan hunting in October.Not one malfunction on any of the 4 guns I took.I shot 2 mags thru the R9,5 thru the Glock 43,and the Ed Brown Kobra Light Weight,and 15 rounds  thru the Ruger LCR 9mm.The Ruger I bought in October when I got back from Canada.I shot it a few times before my surgery.Had some issues with it so sent it back.They got it back to me pretty much right away.Somebody on the forum here did mention their service was good and it was. One thing I have noticed is when it gets cold you pretty much have the whole range to yourself.
            I have had my R9. for about 5 years.Bought it new.Serial number 5200 something.Too lazy to go downstairs to get the actual number.I think I have shot around 60 rounds,at most thru it.Had a few issues when I first got it,but after just using Speer Gold Dots,it has been fine.Take care all.I don't know why we stay up in this cold climate up here in Wisconsin.Spring,summer and fall,and my wife's love of gardening,I guess.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2016, 04:59:27 PM »
Shooting the R9 in cold weather just beats my arthritic hands/wrists to pieces.  At 3 degrees the tolerances for the R9 must have been down to molecular levels!
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis