Author Topic: what ammo works for you?  (Read 1631 times)

Offline prydwen

what ammo works for you?
« on: September 22, 2006, 03:04:49 PM »
I've got another thread going on my r9s and don't want to bug things up with a bunch on same or similar topic...BUT thought it might be easier to start a new for this purpose...will folks please post what ammo works best in their r9 and if there is a difference in "deer park" or other r9 series might help to post that also. the ammo brand, bullet weight and type (FMJ, JHP, etc) would be very helpful not only for me, but maybe for all of us...might eleminate some of the trial and error and find some more universal happy loads for this pistol.  Thanks all, everybody has been very helpful and it is much appreciated.  

Offline riffraff

• Master
Re: what ammo works for you?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 03:18:21 PM »
prydwen,

Here is what I have found:

The Aquila 65gr hp is 100% functional in both my R9's BUT at 15yds they also keyhole everytime in both guns.

I now have some of the Winchester 105gr Superclean that has been recomended for problem guns.  It has a Tin core and a unusual bullet shape which is why it might work.  But I haven't tried them yet.  The bullet is not a hollow point but the core is exposed at the tip.

I personally recomend you don't use anything heavier than the 135gr? Low Recoil Federal HydraShocks.  Heavy bullets do stress the gun more than the lighter ones.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline CaptBW

• Master
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 06:40:28 PM »
WWB 115 grain and Gold Dot 115 grain work flawlessly. No reason to try anything else.
ACTA NON VERBA

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 10:53:13 PM »
CaptBW,

In your gun they do, not in mine.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member