Author Topic: P-38 floorplate fix  (Read 1523 times)

Offline capt.koolaid

• Expert
P-38 floorplate fix
« on: September 22, 2006, 09:57:52 PM »
Okay, Not sure whats up but judging from feedback id like to take a moment to retort.

First off, I never told riffraff to use P-38 floorplates. He can confirm that. I never sold him (or anyone else) any floorplates.
In truth, I doubt a P-38 floorplate would improve anything as they are considerably thiner than the floorplates we used in expierimantation. They did infact come from P-38 magazines, however they are obviously NOT original equipment.

I too am aware of "phantom posts" that seem to "dissapear" later on, but to my knowledge none of them were posts of mine.  To my knowledge, the only one who can delete a post is the author of that particular post.

Indeed I have spoke with Rohrbaugh at great length concerning my floorplate modification. This was per Rohrbaughs request, not mine, and it was KARL I spoke with, not ERIC.

I enjoyed our conversation immensly and I think we both shared and exchanged some valuable information. You must understand however I am a "middle man" in all of this and trying to get everyone on the same page with regard to certain information that could be considered proprietary in nature is somewhat of a challenge, but...its in the works, time will tell.

I enjoy this forum immensly and find the folks here are very intelligent, and supportive. I have not "dropped out of sight" as suggested, but have been asked to treat this matter with discreation. I did infact voice some non-constructive critisisms early on with my pup that were inspired by frustration from performance from it, coupled with the ever present kool-aid cheer of "limpwrister", or "it needs to be broke in". These were few in nature, and since the inception of my floorplate modification coupled with flawless performance, fortunatly those echos have gone by the wayside.

Thiers no way to sweep it under the rug, some pups have been problematic in nature and its not from operator error, limpwristing, or anything shooter induced. The problem is Rohrbaugh has been bombarded with many guns that have had owner neglect and its the first thing to rule out. Improper lube, limpwristing, overshooting the recoil springs, etc. are frequently the cause, as such its one of the first things the factory has to rule out.

Its realy pretty simple. If your having problems with your pup and you think your following everything to the letter, ie: proper lube, grip, spring replacement, etc. then take this test:

Unload your pup, hold it in your righthand with your shooter grip. Now, twist your wrist to the side, as far as you can, holding the gun. It should now be held sideways, opposite "gangsta style"  (if right handed the magazine should be pointed to your left. with your right palm up). Great! Now do a press check. If you have trouble racking the slide, or it freezes up, then your pups probably out of spec. This should occur with or without the assembly pin inserted, and with or without the magazine inserted. If done quickly and forcefully, after first pulling the slide slightly forward, it should open up if it "freezes" on you.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: P-38 floorplate fix
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 10:02:05 PM »
Who is the originator of this check?

Offline capt.koolaid

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 10:11:22 PM »
By check I assume you mean the press check test? If so Ive no idea whom the originator of this is but it seems to hold true. At least in my case it was.

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 11:14:54 PM »
capt.koolaid,

Of course you never told me to use P-38 mag floorplates.  I just read the posts like everyone else.

As far as disapearing posts and this check post I don't know and don't care.  

Whatever I type is on the up and up to the best of my knowlege.  I do not play games.

I will just keep playing the straight man.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 11:16:42 PM »
The reason I asked is that I don't understand what this tests
and what is out of spec. If one has done evrything right and
the gun malfunctions that is the ultimate test.
Did Rohrbaugh suggest this test prior to returning the pistol
or just what is the point?

Offline capt.koolaid

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 11:34:59 PM »
No disrespect intended to either of you two. Someone suggested I had sold a "majic bean" remedy that was now being marketed. I apologize, I should have been more clear, but as it was this post was rather long and in an attempt to consearve space this is what happend. The "press check" test was shown to me and if not mistaken, the idea was from this board. Im sorry to say I dont remember by whom, Ill have to check back on that. Again this was in no way a flame at either of you.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 11:52:49 PM »
No problem Kool, thanks.

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2006, 11:37:29 AM »
capt.koolaid,

Sorry if my post sounded like I was upset at you.  It was not ment that way at all.
As per usual Numrich modus operandi 3 of the 6 P-38 mag floorplates were either bent or rusted enough that I would not use them on the R9 so I still have 3 good ones and have not tried them yet.  I will post my results on a new thread.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member