Author Topic: New Guy saying Hello and Introducing Myself.  (Read 4285 times)

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
New Guy saying Hello and Introducing Myself.
« on: February 04, 2016, 11:26:05 AM »
I am a new Rohrbaugh owner with a slight history with this little gun.

First saw the R9 when we met the Rohrbaugh team at their booth during the 2005 NRA convention and meetings in Houston, TX.

The gentleman I was with immediately fell in love with the precision and metal work it took to create the pistol and asked that I find one for him to buy, whatever the cost.  We soon located a supplier and had it shipped to a local FFL where he took possession.  He carried this gun off and on since then, putting less than a box of ammo through it in the past decade (with me shooting 6 of those rounds).

Well with failing health and wanting to make sure his prized pocket pistol went to a good home, it was presented to me earlier this week.

It was doing research on this gun that I found you guys. 

Big thanks to DDGator for helping with my registration issues.

Been a 'gun guy' for most of my life and enjoy the shooting sports.  Got my CHL about a year after it became available in Texas.  Plan to carry this little gun regularly, especially when my normal carry gun is a bit too big, or not fitting my attire. 

Picked up a Blackhawk pocked holster for it yesterday and have a spare magazine to slip into the pocket with it.

Hope to meet some good folks and learn more about this special handgun.

Mike

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Re: New Guy saying Hello and Introducing Myself.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 11:35:00 AM »

Great story, Mike.  Welcome to our little community.  Lots of great people here and great information.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 12:11:51 PM »
Thanks for moving the thread, noob mistake.

Here is what I got...............................probably just like the ones the rest of you guys have, LOL.

Offline MICHPATRIOT

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 02:30:01 PM »
Very nice early r9, Welcome to the forum. Pick up some 115 or 124 Gold Dots.. These little pocket cannons like to be kept clean, the recoil spring should be changed every 100 or so rounds, Wolff gunsprings has them.  ;)

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 04:50:13 PM »
Welcome aboard Michael,

I see your friend bought what Karl and I call "a real R9" ~ No sights. . . . just like the Seecamp. You don't need sights when your threat is just a few feet away. I see the real carbon fiber grips are still on the gun. Those alone fetch a few hundred dollars to the collectors! She looks like she is in very nice condition overall. Keep it clean and it will serve you well for years to come when a large gun is no option, but a small one fits the bill. Good for you Sir!

Check in here when you feel the need. . . . . You will find very good people here holding intelligent conversation.

Regards,

Eric C. Rohrbaugh
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 08:42:07 PM »
Thanks Guys, I will pick up some Speer ammo next time I am in town.  I have both springs that came with the gun.  My benefactor changed out the first spring just before he gave it to me, so this spring does not have any rounds through it.  The original is still good for at least another 60 or so.........................right?

Another question, I noticed that not all the models made in Deer Park have the fancy lettering, when did they go to the simple block lettering?

(I love it was made in Deer Park.  I grew up in the Birthplace of Texas, which is the city of Deer Park, TX.)

Offline tattoo

• Master
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 01:00:46 AM »
Mike I also grew up and still live in deer park.... ;)

Offline CaptBW

• Master
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 07:17:00 AM »
Welcome aboard.
ACTA NON VERBA

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 12:07:25 PM »
Welcome to the Forum, Mike. You certainly started at the top! That is one beautiful R9.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 02:31:01 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome.

Good to find another DPHS grad, and a knowledgeable firearm owner from my home town.

Offline tattoo

• Master
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2016, 04:07:21 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome.

Good to find another DPHS grad, and a knowledgeable firearm owner from my home town.
That's right my edc is this little pocket rocket.....bought a new boberg xr9s platinum today..another jewel to add to the safe....nothing rides better than a rohrbaugh r9..  ;D