Author Topic: Outside my Windows I - A Magical Morning  (Read 48019 times)

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
Outside my Windows I - A Magical Morning
« on: November 25, 2005, 10:17:43 PM »
I have mentioned in the past that I live in the woods.  Posted a picture of a wild turkey looking in my window awhile ago also.  I wish I lived by a big lake (like Bill), or by the ocean (like RJ and Duane).  The woods though do have some special moments.

All of the pictures below were taken from the inside of my house through the windows, within an hour time period,  one morning a few weeks ago as the leaves were starting to fall.  

This is a "feel good thread" - feel free to post things that make you feel good.

Morning sun shines through the trees.

Turkey Family

Saw these two does

Then noticed this "Big Boy"

« Last Edit: March 12, 2006, 08:24:11 PM by MountainMan »
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Outside my Windows - A Magical Morning
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 10:24:33 PM »
Fantastic! It doesn't get any better than that.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2005, 09:02:01 AM »
Wow!
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2005, 10:21:29 AM »
Dave, what a wonderful way for your readers to begin the day, seeing those stunning images from your window.

Thank you.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2005, 04:45:35 PM »
This is a "feel good thread" - feel free to post things that make you feel good.

Dave:

I can't compete with your photography, but here are some "feel good" photos of my own:

Entrance to Smoky Mountain cabins in winter.

"Trash can? What trash can?"

The small pond at Critter Creek

Critter Creek Mallards

« Last Edit: November 26, 2005, 04:54:34 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2005, 06:34:43 PM »
Nice Photos of some Wonderful places,  thank you both..
RJ=

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2005, 10:45:54 PM »
Nice Richard!
Can tell why they call it Critter Creek.
Dave
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2005, 11:06:53 PM »
Dave - beautiful pics - an idyllic setting.  I lust for living by water, next to woods - but still give thanks some of my outlook is pretty open, plus I do not have to travel far to be in pretty remote places.  I still count my blessings.

Richard - ah yes - remember that charming pond - IIRC I did a spoof pic of that :D

Here is a pic from not many weeks back, when the trees were getting some color - it's the view from out back across large corn fields.  Tele' shot over about 500 yards.  Next pic is not many minutes drive away - we have a small place called ''Lovely'' - it is!!

Last pic is just a bit of fun :D

Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2005, 11:21:18 PM »
Nice Chris

Reminds me of riding my motorcycle in the fall before I sold it - what great memories.  You still have yours you lucky guy.  Maybe some day I'll return to the saddle.
Dave

Now we need that guy on the forum who lives by that big lake to post some lake pictures.

Dave

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2005, 11:25:07 PM »
Maybe one day Dave - in good summer weather, I'll bike myself and Mrs up your way - and see that for myself :)
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2005, 01:46:11 AM »
Aways welcome Chris.  How come nobody ever visits during leaf raking :)

As you know Monday is the first day of deer season.  As usual I'll put on all the outside lights about an hour before it gets light outside so hunters can see were the house is.  Haven't walked some of the property for a long time so don't know if the no hunting safety zone signs are still posted.  Always hold my breath when shots sounds too close.  Too many hunters are not taught proper shooting safety as I was by my dad starting as a little kid.

There are some crazy ones out there - lucky they are in the minority.  Last year saw a hunter on the hill across from the house, that I own and is posted.  A group of deer were crossing between him and the house and I said to myself I hope that guy doesn't shoot.  BANG!  I walked out toward him and BANG.  I don't think he shot at me (not 100% sure though), but was warning me off.  I got the hint and retreated.  He quickly disappeared.

Many of the buck you see all of the time you find yourself wondering if they will surviive the next two weeks.  In a way observing their habits you get a little attached.  Now if they only didn't carry deer lyme ticks.  I have nothing against hunting - hunted from the time I was 12 until a few years ago.
take care
Dave

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2005, 01:53:05 AM »
My hunting excursions get fewer each year - altho I do relish those few spells of near total solitude, hearing sounds more acutely and smelling the air.

I may be out odd times this coming week or two - but my problem is a great difficulty in staying in one spot for long - sitting, standing - about 10 mins is my limit before back shouts ''stop''!!

So - mostly will be a foray or two last hour or so of daylight - and these days I take my .454 SRH - get a chance within 75 yards and I'll take it - otherwise no sweat - I won't be disappointed.  I am only a ''sure shot'' hunter - good kill or I leave it alone.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2005, 02:17:01 AM »
Chris
Something how the years change.  I use to go with my dad as a teen to your home in Bedford County, or Somerset County,  to hunt deer and turkey.  Remember hunting turkey with turkey calls and never seeing one - now I see them almost daily and have them banging on my windows.  Many years ago deer hunting in Bedford got snowbound and had to sleep in the car.

Last few years I hunted in my area I at times used a Dan Wesson 357 with an 8 inch heavy barrel.  Used it for steel plate 100 yard competition and was confident in heavy brush of 25 yard shoots it would work fine.  Never got the chance to see.  Last buck I got was after I said the heck with standing here in the snow and freezing.  Put the rifle down and pour a cup of tea (yes I'm a tea guy) out of the thermos and you guess it, there he was.

The best memories were the years hunting with my dad in Bedford or Somerset or somewhere else at a hunting camp.
Dave

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2005, 12:36:41 PM »
Chris:

Those are beautiful photographs.  The one of the hawk is superb!

I used to be an avid hunter.  While stationed in Germany back in the early 60's, I not only went through the course to obtain a German hunting license but also went on to obtain a license to teach the course to others.  Some of my fondest memories are those of days in the field, and there are seven racks hanging on the wall of my den.  These days, however, I seem to have lost the desire to shoot anything which is not shooting at me or mine or threatening to do so.  Nonetheless, every year about this time I feel an urge to take out a long gun and walk around in the woods -- just for old times sake, I suppose.   :-/
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2005, 05:00:46 PM »
Gentlemen, thanks for the outdoor photos. Now I am at peace with myself.
Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus