Author Topic: Outside My Windows III - Around the Campfire  (Read 27777 times)

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
Re: Outside My Windows III - Around the Campfire
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2006, 10:45:48 AM »
RJ,

I think it is a deHavilland turbine Otter.

I've seen the twin Super Otter land, and it can be spectacular.  Just before setting down on the runway, the pilot raised the nose sharply, there was a great roar from the turbines, and the plane stopped rather immediately.

The single engine turbine may behave that way, too.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2006, 06:15:24 PM »
One of my agency friends sent me this today.  I thought it should be shared.   8)

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2006, 07:41:08 PM »
Ok Mountainman, I would like to know about the Red Airplane.  With the length of that nose, I would say, there must be quite an engine in there.

RJ

Thats a DeHavilland Otter- This model can carry 10 passengers - extremely powerful and can easily go up to 12000 ft.  Built for rough landings on dirt or snow with short take offs and landings.

One of the planes we used on our Alaska trip to wilderness areas.

PS:  Just saw that Bill already answered that above.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 10:10:01 PM by MountainMan »
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2006, 08:04:26 PM »
Richard

I find myself getting more and more anti Muslim - think that most of them want us dead.  
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2006, 08:16:46 PM »
Dave:

You created (and for all purposes "own") this wonderful thread, and I had doubts about posting that photograph.  However, it made me smile and want to throw another log on the campfire.   ;)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2006, 08:19:01 PM »
Richard
I saw that picture in the past and it made me smile then as it does now.

I always considered this thread owned by all of us as a way to share.

Dave
« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 08:20:59 PM by MountainMan »

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2006, 09:55:52 PM »
Speaking of the plane RJ asked about:

Here we are waiting for a smaller DeHavilland Beaver to take off the glacier ice so we can do the same.

Shows how high you can get in the DeHavilland Otter turbine - the last picture is of Mt. McKinnley's peak above the clouds.  At this height the pilot is required to be on oxygen for safety although others in the plane don't need it.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 10:14:16 PM by MountainMan »

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2006, 09:59:47 PM »
No prob's here Richard with that pic' - while as it will us all, induce anger - there is a rather nice ''whiff'' of retribution which more than makes up for the travesty! :)

I'll stop there ;)

~~~~~~~

Shucks Dave - you just posted those pics - wow - what wonderful mountain grandeur - I do want to go see some of that one day - if so lucky.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 10:01:25 PM by R9SCarry »
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2006, 09:30:31 AM »
Dave:

What marvelous photographs!  The one of Mt. McKinley prompted me to read more about it.  Here is one interesting link:  http://www.peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=271
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2006, 04:23:42 PM »
Not as majestic as Mt. McKinley, but a lot more hospitable -- the Great Smoky Mountains of East Tennessee.   ‘Y’all come back now, y’hear!?’   8)

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2006, 10:09:37 PM »
Richard

I drove through them once a long time ago - usually I'm flying over your Tennessee mountains and many times they are Smoky.

Dave

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2006, 11:33:03 PM »
Sadly I only touched on very NW corner of TN when driving down to TX in 2003 - much I would like to have seen, including the Smokies.

Gonna make a total change of direction here - seeing as this is our thread for anything!!!

I doubt I have posted any before but I have a liking for fractals - amazing images that are mathematically derived.  I found a copy of one lurking on server and so am going to post same - like some others, a bit of ''post manipulation'' sometimes is needed to get the final result.

If anyone is interested more in fractals, take a short tour thru my Fractal Gallery - a quite large selection I had fun making a year or more ago and decided to put on the web for others to see now and again.

Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2006, 05:38:28 PM »
Chris:

That's georgeous work!  "Mind blowing" might be a better term!   :o
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2006, 06:31:25 PM »
Chris

My first degree is in mathematics - I'm going to forward the site to a some I know who work in that area.

Very intertaining - and in a way relaxing.  Reminds me of a 16 mm movie that Disney did way back on geometry were Donald Duck touched on that area - haven't thought about that for many years.

May be what the Beattles were seeing after one of their LSD adventures that inspired a few songs.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 06:35:49 PM by MountainMan »

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2006, 08:27:55 PM »
May be what the Beatles were seeing after one of their LSD adventures that inspired a few songs.

Once upon a time, long ago and far away, in a corner of Africa which Conrad once described as "the heart of darkness," I had the lack of good judgment to accept and drink from a gourd containing a foul-smelling brew, offered to me by a village elder, which resulted (about thirty minutes later) in my experiencing a "light show" of similar proportions.  The problem came the next morning, when I awoke feeling as though I had taken a machete in the head.   :-[
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"