Author Topic: Now I won't back down. I can stand my ground...  (Read 21474 times)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: Now I won't back down. I can stand my ground..
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2006, 09:09:46 PM »
Good news today - Idaho has passed Castle Doctrine.

The march of progress continues - want to see that in PA now and other states too.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2006, 07:46:46 AM »
I'm pretty excited about this one, and have sent several emails.

Bill

Offline erh

• Expert
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2006, 12:08:34 PM »
In general; I am of the sort that has had enough real world; Real Bad Confrontation(S) to last a lifetime.  That being said, I assure you that any of us hopefully still "Sane Folk" out here, that know what they are talking about would "Much rather ease or believe you me; RUN our way (& OUR LOVED ONES...) out of a bad situation, than have to raise the uses & levels of force to far, far, above comfortable & easily forgotten levels..!"  Don't get me wrong; I will shoot someone in a heartbeat if they're in desperate need of it (i.e. - no other option is presented, but I will drag "My  ***", and my Loved ones along with me FIRST; (running if necessary!) to avoid such an unpleasant repeat of events for me, not to mention something I would wish my Loved ones the opportunity to NEVER have to witness, ever..!  (Cowardly some may say; Damn smart would others likely say; (meaning those of us out there that already know "real life is not like a movie..!)  Take this statement for what it is; I dunno, just had to get out my .02 cents worth.

(PS):  My appologies for the need to (**) my colorful language; I'll remember this is a family friendly site, and try to express myself accordingly in future; I hope not to have offended anyone prior to the "purging" of uncalled for language.

Eric
« Last Edit: April 22, 2006, 03:09:55 PM by erh »
-E!-
"The Hill", GA.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2006, 12:37:48 PM »
Eric,

I agree.  It's far better to take off as quickly as possible.

Bill

Offline CaptBW

• Master
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2006, 11:07:58 PM »
Castle Doctrine for Michigan. This is a good thing!
ACTA NON VERBA

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2006, 11:01:11 PM »
I've often thought of the propensity to not shoot, because of overwhelming concerns about lawsuits and all the trouble that will come from the incident.

I'm sure many police officers have lost their lives because they waited too long.

If it is the absolute last resort, then we should be able to shoot with impunity.

Bill  

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2006, 11:18:51 PM »
Bill - I had a fund-raising call today from NRA - and made a small donation.

This is to do with their ongoing pressure to get Castle Doctrine spread to as many states as possible.  He said they are trying to push this in 17 other states currently.  I asked him if PA was on that list and it is - I certainly want to see it here.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
Re: Now I won't back down. I can stand my groun
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2006, 12:27:58 AM »
Thanks, Chris.  I sincerely hope you will have it in Pennsylvania.

I'm on my first year's membership with the NRA and remain very impressed with all they have done.

I'm pretty mad about telephone marketing in general, but certainly am a big NRA fan.  I think the hoodlums are less apt to bother us, and we can directly thank the NRA for much of this great privilege of carrying a handgun.

Bill

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2006, 05:27:03 PM »
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2006, 05:32:04 PM »
Brenden,

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Michigan.  I think they were presenting it to the full house today.

Bill

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2006, 06:08:08 PM »
Brenden,

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Michigan.  I think they were presenting it to the full house today.

Bill

Bill,
Here you go.... 8)

April 25, 2006

Jones seeks to assure victims’ rights to self-defense during attack

Law-abiding Michigan residents who actually and reasonably believe they are facing imminent death, great bodily harm or rape at the hands of a violent criminal are justified in using force to defend themselves and their families. They are no longer required to retreat from a violent attacker in their own home under a package of bills sponsored and spearheaded by state Rep. Rick Jones. The measures were approved today by the Michigan House of Representatives.

“One of Michigan’s most basic values is that a person’s home is their castle,” said Jones, R-Grand Ledge. “This legislation makes it clear that not only do you have the right to stand your ground and defend yourself, but you will not be prosecuted or sued for defending yourself or your family in your own home.”

The “castle doctrine” is enshrined as a sacred right in English common law. It holds if you’re wrongfully threatened or attacked in your home, you may meet force with force.

“One inspiration for this law is the historical account of Dr. Ossian Sweet’s 1925 trial for defending his home against the Ku Klux Klan in Michigan,” Jones said. “His attorney, Clarence Darrow, successfully used the ‘castle doctrine’ to defend Dr. Sweet from prosecution for murder.”

House Bills 5142-43 eliminates the duty of law-abiding citizens to retreat in a home or occupied vehicle and establishes a presumption that a criminal who forcibly enters intends to cause death, great bodily harm, or rape. House Bill 5548 would amend current law to make anyone who lawfully defends themselves immune from civil liability. House Bill 5153 creates immunity from criminal prosecution.

“This will prevent criminals or their families from suing victims for injury or death,” Jones said. “It’s common sense and good law.”

Jones says this law is necessary to protect the law-abiding.

“As a former sheriff, I can tell you there are times when action needs to be taken before it is physically possible for law enforcement to get there,” Jones said. “This will give the average resident in Michigan the confidence to know that they can act to defend their life and their family without threat of a lawsuit or criminal prosecution.”

The provisions of the legislation do not cover persons engaging in criminal acts.

The bills now go to the Senate for consideration.

NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2006, 07:41:20 PM »
Thanks very much, Brenden.  That's great news.   I had been trying to find out what happened.

Bill

Offline CaptBW

• Master
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2006, 11:33:53 PM »
My wife said that she would learn to shoot a gun when Michigan passes the "castle doctrine".
ACTA NON VERBA

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2006, 12:08:04 AM »
Capt,

Excellent news.  I hope my wife will do the same.

I have been slowly working up to it.  She is not balking so far, but there is still a little way to go.

She seems to be in favor of a "castle doctrine".  I  think.

Bill