Author Topic: Outside My Windows V - R9 Friends Unite  (Read 40732 times)

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
Outside My Windows V - R9 Friends Unite
« on: July 16, 2006, 10:57:42 PM »
This is the official start of the fifth "Outside My Windows" thread series:

Outside My Windows V – R9 Friends Unite

The Outside My Windows series is now into its fifth thread.  Feel free to go back and review them - great posts and pictures.  The first four OMW threads (A Magical Morning - A Feel Good Gathering - Around The Campfire – Friends Around America)  went for a total of:

57    Pages
822   Replies

The series was started as a place were forum friends could gather and post on ANY topic that made them feel good and/or they wanted to share.

There is only one rule for posting on the OMW thread:

DRIFTING AND HIJACKING THIS THREAD IS HIGHLY ENCOURAGED

« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 10:59:35 PM by MountainMan »
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
Re: Outside My Windows V - R9 Friends Unite
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006, 11:05:29 PM »
A few pictures taken on my property yesterday to start us off:

Squirrels are all over the place in the forest around the house - never thought of them as an unique picture but they are cute.

Taken through the bedroom window:

Nature always amazes me.  To have this caterpillar (Spicebrush Swallowtail) have a rear that looks like a face to scare off birds - amazing.  To watch nature everyday is examples of God's hand in our world.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 11:09:31 PM by MountainMan »
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline BlueGrips

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 11:17:56 PM »
Absolutely stunning shots!

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 11:19:01 PM »
Dave - thx for kicking of #5 thread - it is a fine scheme that has in many ways bonded us over time since the very first.

And wow - two lovely pics to kick us off!  Yes squirrels are (unfortunately) cute but also terrors in some ways.  As for that caterpillar - amazing - nature is so inventive and devious :)

My first input is dull by comparison - but today Bonnie and I enjoyed a very good bike run - not overlong, which was perhaps as well in 95º heat and high humidity.  It was run by PA State Troopers for ''Camp Cadet'' - a scheme where youngsters are introduced to law, life and responsibility.

We rode many roads we know well - because this was a Bedford County thing but - so much of our area is very beautiful that was unimportant and the turnout was huge, like last year.  I think it was at least 320 bikes.

This pic was our one stop at Saxton PA - huge parking lot for a market.  This is three pics ''stitched together'' so slight oddities but I cheated to try and mask the tricky joins.  Gives some idea of the scale tho this pic really needs to be way bigger - shrunk this one hugely..  Great time had by all.

I'll add one or two more nature pics later sometime. (Right now pic does not want to show - no idea why yet)

« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 11:22:48 PM by R9SCarry »
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2006, 11:30:08 PM »

Yes squirrels are (unfortunately) cute but also terrors in some ways.

Who - me?

« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 11:30:34 PM by MountainMan »

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2006, 11:34:01 PM »
Haha - can't see you as a terror Dave ;)  Only maybe when you were a kid - as I was!

I checked my pic link in post above and darned thing shows as a separate entity but for me does not show in my post.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2006, 11:46:40 PM »

Chris - one of my most memorable bike rides was with Malcolm Forbes.  He flew in about ten bikes and friends and join us for a poker run a number of years ago.  For a rich guy he seemed very down to earth.  Have a picture somewhere of him signing my dollar bill.  If I ever find the photo it I'll scan and post it.

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2006, 11:50:52 PM »

Spencer and Nancy last evening as the sun was setting.

A side note on Nancy.  I am very proud of her.  At age 35 she was selling kitchens and decided to go back to college to finish her degree (after a 16 year absence from college she graduated first in class) and started working at the bottom of the ladder in an investment firm.  On January 1st she will be CEO of the company.  Of course there has been a price to pay - many long hours away from home.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006, 12:13:24 AM »
Shucks Dave - sounds like you have posted another pic - it no show!!

And yet those first ones do - odd indeed.  I'll see if things show better tomorrow.

I can fully appreciate your pride in Nancy (hoping foot is way better BTW) and  kudos plus plus re CEO - oh wow.  That is progress indeed :)

I returned to academia in 1992 age 47 - to pursue and formalize my engineering - leaving with a 2.1 Honors in 1995 (B.Eng Systems) - this was UK degree jargon.

I feel it is never too late to go back to learning but will always warn of one thing for some folks - ''learn to live on fresh air''!!!!  I sold my car and bike was all I had those three years - but hey - it was all an experience!
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline PursuitSS

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2006, 01:10:45 AM »
The last ride I went on was a week ago Saturday. It was a Patriot Guard Ride for PFC Brian Bradbury. We had 229 riders.

Soldier down, kickstands up!

http://www.patriotguard.org

PursuitSS
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 04:30:51 PM by PursuitSS »
NRA Endowment Member
Moderator - “80%” Forum AR15.com

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2006, 08:49:25 AM »
All I can say is: Wow!

What a great start for the new thread.

Thanks to everyone for sharing great pictures and interesting stories.

Bill

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2006, 01:06:50 PM »
Dave, thanks for #5, it sure has been fun.
Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2006, 01:45:52 PM »
The last ride I went on was a week ago Saturday. It was a Patriot Guard Ride for PFC Brian Bradbury. We had 229 riders.

Soldier down, kickstands up!

http://www.patriotguard.org

PursuitSS

Thanks for the link - a great cause - proud to know you.

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2006, 01:55:13 PM »

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2006, 06:01:47 PM »
Did someone mention squirrels?  I've got squirrels to spare.  I'll even rent squirrels.

Dave:

That is great news about Nancy's promotion to CEO of her firm!  Congratulations to her!  Joyce also returned to school as a widowed mother of two to earn her law degree, to build a successful practice, and then to win election to the bench.  These strong and self-motivated women are an inspiration.  We are lucky men to have them.

And by the way, I missed your question on the last thread.  The ski boat pulling my grandson belongs to my step-daughter and son-in-law.  It's a Crestliner, but they have their eyes on a MasterCraft.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 06:45:02 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"