Author Topic: SHOT Show 2012 Rohrbaugh Report  (Read 18809 times)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
SHOT Show 2012 Rohrbaugh Report
« on: January 17, 2012, 12:45:25 PM »
Here we go...Lots to see this year!  Sorry some of the image quality is not great, but you gotta work with the conditions.

Rohrbaugh R45 Prototype
I saw this last year, but this year it is official!  This is a prototype - the top end is not quite what they want (with the Rohrbaugh signature profile), but it is close.

This is an aluminum frame pistol that takes standard 1911Officers magazines--so 7 shot capacity. DAO.  With a standard slide stop and standard mag release! Availability date is not set, but expect it still to be a while.

Rohrbaugh R-9 "Coyote" - not the final name
This is an R-9 with brown Cerakote finish on the slide and frame.  Everything else is black.  Special VZ G-10 grips. The gun will retail for $1,795.   There will be an option for "The eights" sights which will have a small white dot at the bottom of the rear sight that lines up vertically with a dot on the front sight blade. Color is very nice in person.  The VZ grips can be had checkered or smooth. Base gun is $1,795 retail.

There is a prototype of a new slide with dovetailed Novak sights.  This involves a new slide design with more material at the top for dovetailing.  No projected availability yet.  There will be options like the gold bead front sight shown, and night sights.  There is no easy way to retrofit this entirely new slide to an existing gun.

2005 Handgun of the Year Tribute Edition
Silver R-9 with bead blasted finish.  New "blue carbon fiber" grips from VZ grips.  Very nice grips.  Nicer, frankly, than the originals.  $1,395.  Grips will be available separately for purchase.  Price TBA soon.

Rohrbaugh Custom Shop

Maybe the best news for some of you.  Rohrbaugh is going to start offering custom "one off" R-9s to your specs.  A couple examples are shown below. More details on these two later--both are for sale.

Gotta get back to the show.  Feel free to discuss amongst yourselves! More info and such later.

Duane

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline coyote

• Expert
Re: SHOT Show 2012 Rohrbaugh Report
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 01:02:13 PM »

i like the dovetail rear sight and a front with tritium. that's been the only thing i've really wished they offered.

a black Cerakote finish on everything would also be welcome.
if it isn't a rohrbaugh, its too darn big

Offline Giraffes

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 01:10:06 PM »
I really like the custom shop announcement. I'd like to see if they offer anything other than just different grips and colors. Hopefully they'll offer in-house front and back strap checkering.

Offline birdman

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 02:42:59 PM »
    Corey, thanks for reminding me. I was sitting  here trying to think of what the R45 teaser looked like, and of course it was the Colt 2000. That weird handle shape should have alerted me. I think the 2000 has the dubious distinction of being the only truly ugly gun Colt ever produced. Well, we can only hope that it was a VERY early prototype.     Gene
birdman

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 02:50:57 PM »
    Corey, thanks for reminding me. I was sitting  here trying to think of what the R45 teaser looked like, and of course it was the Colt 2000. That weird handle shape should have alerted me. I think the 2000 has the dubious distinction of being the only truly ugly gun Colt ever produced. Well, we can only hope that it was a VERY early prototype.     Gene

« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 02:58:54 PM by Jack_F »
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 03:01:23 PM »
I like the R45; don't like the Colt 2000.    :)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 03:33:52 PM »
I think they will make it as small as spring technology allows.
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 05:04:47 PM »
If it was in a 40 cal. it could have a smaller profile.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 11:33:28 PM by Jack_F »
NRA Life Member

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 06:03:39 PM »
Corey I'm with you, a shorter grip looks better and the grip is the hardest thing to conceal.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 07:05:19 PM »
I'm still liking the longer grip; I'll wear the R45 in a Del Fatti holster on a belt; good to have likes and dislikes, though.    :) And maybe Rohrbaugh could make both.     :)

« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 07:06:58 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 07:38:19 PM »

Will this be better than a Kahr?

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 07:43:28 PM »
Count me in as one of the "10." (However, IMNSHO, I predict that there will be thousands.)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 07:48:28 PM »
Ken it may be a good thing you like it.  If they make it like it is and you buy one you will likely have a very collectible gun down the road because I bet there won't be 10 people that would buy one.  At the price point that i'm guessing the R45 will be at (prob. $2000) I don't foresee people buying it just because it's got the Rohrbaugh name on it.

OK, Corey.  I'll get the shorter grip!    :)  Nooooo, I keep looking at the two pictures..........I'll stick with the longer grip, however, whichever one they make, will be the one riding in the Meco or Del Fatti holster.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 08:14:33 PM by kjtrains »

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 08:20:04 PM »
Interesting...  While it may look like that Colt, it also looks a lot like another gun we all know and love.  When the slide is done, the resemblance will be even more noticeable.

When you hold it in your hand, it is very nice.   I think it will sell well.  It's not designed to be the same gun the R-9 is...the intent is a little different.

All in all, I think this was a very nice showing this year that really gives some idea where the company is headed.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline Giraffes

• Expert
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 09:11:04 PM »
Duane, any idea on when they will announce the availability of the Tribute model or when they will start taking orders for their custom shop?