Author Topic: Sig P290 Another Pocket 9MM  (Read 14509 times)

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
Re: Sig P290 Another Pocket 9MM
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2011, 07:49:42 AM »
I guess every manufacturer has troubles.  I have three Kahrs, P380, PM9, and a P40 with zero failures of any kind.  I have found them all easy to shoot and easy to carry.

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2011, 09:48:28 AM »
Very true.  I was trying the PM40 and had one of the first.  That was in April of 06.  I'm glad if didn't work though, had it worked, I'd might not have found the Rohrbaugh...   :)
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2011, 11:07:43 AM »
I now have a R9 which is 100% so far and I am happy with it.  My first R9 ended up like your Kahr, Rohrbaugh  bought it back.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2011, 07:29:48 PM »
I now have a R9 which is 100% so far and I am happy with it.  My first R9 ended up like your Kahr, Rohrbaugh  bought it back.

Just goes to show ya, bad ones can happen to any gun company.  Even one that basically fits each one by hand.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2011, 11:10:58 PM »
Very true Reinz....  My first R9 performed flawlessly.  My SOLO is near flawless, the Khars I had didn't work at all, with any ammo choices.  I certainly hope the new stealth is as good as Ol' Trusty (my R9).....I carry with confidence.  Today I carried the SOLO for the first time and it is actually quite comfortable, but I have to say.....I like the 100% reliability thoughts I feel when I carry Ol' Trusty....  
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2011, 11:41:36 PM »
I have had a P290 for about a week.  I am going to shoot it on Sunday.  It will be featured on the front of Shooting Illustrated in the June issue.

I will let you know my general observations on Sunday night.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2011, 11:48:09 PM »
Looking forward to the feedback Gator....
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2011, 11:53:42 PM »
Any chance of some pix next to the R9?
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2011, 08:10:39 AM »
Sure... that can be arranged.
Duane (DDGator)

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2011, 11:02:07 AM »
Here's my P290 field Report:

I wanted this gun badly for the options and features but this gun has a "Soviet" quality about it in which durability is primary at the cost of engineering and design purity.

Sights: Magnificent (Sig Nite Sites)
Accuracy: Very good
Ease of takedown: Not as easy as perceived. (It is a 1911 takedown in which the slide release removal is engaged)
Slide Release: Huge engineering error. It is almost twice the size of a 1911! In a two hand grip, cultivated over many years, my two thunbs are aligned on the left side of the pistol. What happens is that my thumbs engage the slide release on last shot fired and the slide runs home instead of remaining open; defeating one of the features for which I purchased the P290.
Weight: Gather around the campfire, my brothers, for this is your "I told you so" moment. IT IS TOO HEAVY.

Conclusion: Sig will fill a niche with this gun and it still has options and features that I wish the R9 had. However, after giving my Robar R9 an 11 day sabbatical, it is back on guard.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2011, 06:31:33 PM »
ACP, good report but too bad it didn't turn out as hoped.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2011, 07:55:50 PM »
Thanks for the report, ACP.  Good to hear something on the P290.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2011, 10:46:09 PM »
I went out with the idea that I would not like this Sig...  It seemed too bulky with too short a grip and too heavy.

However, it won me over on the range.  The additional size of the slide (giving the top heavy appearance) makes the gun quite easy to run and manipulate.  The full size controls are easy to use.  The full size sights are excellent.  The additional weight makes the gun a real pussy cat to shoot.

The mechanical accuracy is very good.  Shooting at 25 yards, I could easily keep all shots within the A-zone of a standard IPSC target.

The biggest drawback on this gun is the trigger, which is heavy, stacks a lot, and has a lot of over-travel.  This gun is crying desperately for a good trigger job and an over-travel stop.

The weight is an issue, but not a total deal breaker for me.  Its not any heavier than a steel j-frame, which I can pocket carry in casual pants.  It would work well in a belt holster.  

The gun will be much more versatile later this year when the 8-round magazine with X-grip extension is available.

In short, I like the gun.  I wish the trigger was better.  Will it replace my R-9...No.  It's a little bit different gun to me.

Check out the cover story of next month's Shooting Illustrated for all of my thoughts!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 10:47:37 PM by admin »
Duane (DDGator)

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2011, 12:32:32 AM »
Thanks Gator...I'm looking forward to checking one out.  Haven't seen one in person yet.
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2011, 07:42:22 AM »
Duane,

Thank you for your report. We are in partial disagreement; no more so in that I really looked forward to acquiring the P290, and was disappointed, whereas you didn't think you would like the P290 and did.

Two things I did not mention were the frame mounted mag release, (good), and the trigger (bad).

Did you actually purchase the P290 you tested or was it provided gratis for your article?
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson