Author Topic: Sig P290 Another Pocket 9MM  (Read 14508 times)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Re: Sig P290 Another Pocket 9MM
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2011, 05:37:41 PM »
As usual, I was provided with a loaner for T&E for 180 days.  I often have the option of purchasing the gun if I wish to keep it.  I don't have to decide for a while yet, but will likely fork over the $ to keep it.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2011, 06:39:54 PM »
That sounds reasonable. My thinking was obvious in that I believe it is easier to like a gun when you don't have to pay for it. If you purchase the gun that is something entirely different.

As you know, you were one of the first that I turned to, in January, as I was unaware of the P290 until I happened across it on the Sig website.

The question for myself, which has no answer, is whether I would have bought the gun if I had one in my hand prior to purchase. The P290 is only the second gun that I have bought "on spec", by which is meant from a photograph (only). The first time I did that was the R9.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2011, 07:40:53 PM »
Funny, cause my answer is "No" -- I wouldn't have bought it based on handling the non-firing sample at the SHOT.  And I really like Sig guns.  However, I was assigned to review it for SI.  I was worried I wouldn't know what to say about it.  Turns out after shooting it, I did like it a lot.  It feels much bigger than it really is...

Duane (DDGator)

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2011, 09:33:39 PM »
This is a funny. We have juxtaposed our approach to the P290.

If I had had the gun in my hand prior to purchase I probably would not have purchased it or thought twice. By contrast, you would not have bought the P290 based upon first glance but decided you might after firing the test gun.

There is no right or wrong answer but our switched roles is at comical; meant in a good way at no offense to Duane's nor my own posture as to the P290

Bottom line: Wait for the P290 to be received at your FFL and if you like it, buy it; if not, do not buy it
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2011, 01:59:54 AM »
Interesting opinions.

I just coon fingered one today and could not put it down.

I was quite impressed!   Was a little put off  by the chunky slide, but of course it would not be a Sig otherwise.  And at least it was not as bad as a Glock.

Couple of three things ya'll didn't mention was the speed bump inside the trigger gauard.   I thought that was quite an innovative way to line your finger up correctly.

And the hammer at half cock was unusual after actuating the slide.  You would think the trigger would be better per your reports.

Then underneath the dust cover was a rubber plug.  Is this for a proprieatary light or laser up coming?  I mean to fit in the hole.

Anyway, If I did not owe the Taxman so much, I would have walked out with one.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 02:01:32 AM by Reinz »
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2011, 07:35:10 AM »
You have to love Uncle Sam. He needs his too!

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2011, 12:06:38 PM »
Yes, I noted the hammer position in my article.  It looks like a decocked Sig hammer most of the time, unless the trigger has been pulled and the action not cycled.

The hole in the dust cover is for their proprietary laser -- which is actually pretty reasonable -- about $70, I think?

Duane (DDGator)

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2011, 04:58:06 PM »
 I have carried issued Sigs and own them as well, they are the most reliable guns I have had the privilage of being exposed to. I have a West German Sig 228 that is my wifes favorite gun to shoot because it always works, does not kick too bad, and hits what she is aiming at. I never worry about it.  Love those Sigs.

Chief
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Veteran " Freedom isn't free, I Paid for it"

Offline flintsghost

• Expert
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2011, 10:01:08 PM »
Like others on the forum,  I own several Sigs and I like them all.  I recently purchased a 239 .40 through the LEO program and like it fine,  although the factory installed SRT didn't work like it should and the Nitron had some pin holes in places.  I called, they sent a prepaid label and I sent it back.  8 days later here it came on the Fedex truck, perfect.   I couldn't do the Nitron but as a certified armorer I could probably have fixed the SRT but thought, "that's why there's a lifetime guarrantee."    Before I bought my R9S stealth I considered a 290.   Because I could get LEO pricing on it, I considered it hard.   But I ended up ordering another R9S stealth for my son as a gift instead and Tom Watson handled it for me.

There were a couple of reasons.   First I didn't need another weapon that only fit in between the R9S and my other primary carry weapons i.e. a Colt Defender .45 and a Sig 239 .40.    The R9S fills all roles not covered by the other two.   The 290 is several ounces larger than the R9S so I gain nothing except more size.   Finally, for all the good feelings that I have for SIG, their foray into the world of polymer frames have met with mixed results.   Unlike HK who has been totally sucessful with Polymers, SIG has not.   So the jury is still out on how they are dealing with it.   I have a few HK's and like them a lot.   But I dislike the fact that any problem with the polymer frame and the rails molded in and it's off to HK you go.   There is no other fix.   With a SIG, alloy frame, barring a crack,  I can fix it, most likely.   If it's a Colt I can fix it even if it does crack.   So the 290 just wasn't for me.  But I think it could be a real answer for some.  Especially those who feel the need for slide stops, hold open devices and magazine releases that aren't on the butt, and most especially for those who feel they need lots of practice with any weapon.    Most of us realize that the Rohrbaugh was not intended to be beat to death on the range.   You familiarize, get comfortable, check reliability, and take it out once in a blue moon to recheck.   But you don't sit there and run hundreds through at every possible range session.  It simply wasn't designed for that.    To paraphrase Patrick Henry, " I know not what course others may take, but as for me,"  I'll stick with the Rohrbaugh.  
Clips go in womens hair, magazines go into firearms

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2011, 10:16:48 PM »
flintsghost.  Congrats on your son's R9S stealth as well as your own and a wise decision.  Do enjoy.  
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 11:16:25 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2011, 11:17:13 AM »
My review of the Sig 290 is the cover story for the June 2011 issue of Concealed Carry Magazine, which is hitting newsstands now.

Duane (DDGator)

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2011, 11:46:38 AM »
Thanks for the heads up Duane.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2011, 05:07:22 PM »
Duane,

Thanks for the heads up. I will look for the magazine. As I told you via email, I have given the P290 a second chance. First, I switched out the "First Edition" grip inserts, (metal), and inserted the factory black grip inserts. That reduced the overall weight by several ounces and I carry "mexican" as there is not a holster yet for the P290.

I still don't like the (mis)placement of the oversized slide release but I have devised a two hand grip to get around the problem.

The P290 does not measure up to the R9's form, fit and functionality and the trigger of the Rohrbaugh is light years ahead of the Sig. However, at half the cost of an R9, I think the P290 will find a market.

Offline the_skunk

• Expert
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2011, 09:09:43 PM »
I think I will wait until they get the bugs out. Sig is coming up with a new pistol every other day, and half of them are jam-a-matics.

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2011, 09:32:08 PM »
No bugs in my P290, so far. It shoots well and is reliable and accurate. I do note, however, that there are those with a "love/hate" attitude toward Sig.

The love is toward their mainstream guns, i.e., P220, P239, P229, et. al. and the hate is toward the more experimental guns such as P250.