Author Topic: Here is what Arne is up to  (Read 15314 times)

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
Here is what Arne is up to
« on: November 08, 2012, 10:20:21 AM »
Here is a link to the Boberg forum.  I wonder how he got the R45 outline, from a picture?

http://www.bobergarms.com/forum/topics/xr-45-micro?id=2312567%3ATopic%3A48460&page=5#comments

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
Re: Here is what Arne is up to
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 10:35:38 AM »
Very cool, it's too bad the 45 GAP seems to be losing poularity, Arne talks about how his pistol would be even smaller if it were designed around the 45 GAP.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 10:55:00 AM »
Very cool, it's too bad the 45 GAP seems to be losing poularity, Arne talks about how his pistol would be even smaller if it were designed around the 45 GAP.

I agree.  I have an XD in 45 GAP and I see nothing wrong with it other than ammo is some higher.  A 1/4" off the front and back is major.

Offline smokemup

• NC Corvettes
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 11:41:50 AM »
It'll be a few years before that ever gets to market. For now, I think he's just playing with some ideas. Not going GAP is a mistake IMO, and I agree about that 1/4" being huge. But either way, it's a real stretch calling it a pocket pistol. I like the idea of the new super short pull trigger. Sure wish the R9 did! Anyway, once you get to an inch wide or more, and heavier than the XR9-S, it's going to be very noticeable. I'll want one anyway.  ;D

Here are some fully loaded weights (oz). The 9's have 124gr ammo:
P238: 17.4
R9: 18.4
XR9-S: 21.4
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 12:33:11 PM »
It'll be a few years before that ever gets to market. For now, I think he's just playing with some ideas. Not going GAP is a mistake IMO, and I agree about that 1/4" being huge. But either way, it's a real stretch calling it a pocket pistol. I like the idea of the new super short pull trigger. Sure wish the R9 did! Anyway, once you get to an inch wide or more, and heavier than the XR9-S, it's going to be very noticeable. I'll want one anyway.  ;D

Here are some fully loaded weights (oz). The 9's have 124gr ammo:
P238: 17.4
R9: 18.4
XR9-S: 21.4

I agree on the pocket part.  The XR9s is just about the limit for me.  My Solo weighs 19.8 oz. with 7 rounds of 124 gr and seems to be thinner in the grip area.  It is much easier to carry then the Boberg IMO.  The R9 literally disappears in my pocket but is much harder for me to get off 7 rounds fast and accurately than either of the other two.

Offline smokemup

• NC Corvettes
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 02:56:08 PM »
I agree on the pocket part.  The XR9s is just about the limit for me.  My Solo weighs 19.8 oz. with 7 rounds of 124 gr and seems to be thinner in the grip area.  It is much easier to carry then the Boberg IMO.  The R9 literally disappears in my pocket but is much harder for me to get off 7 rounds fast and accurately than either of the other two.

That's the way I feel about the XR9-S. It's right at my limit, but I do carry it about as often as the R9. And YES, the Boberg is a much better shooter than the Rohrbaugh. I feel in full control and the light recoil is amazing! I added some VZ grips and the Yankee hooked extension to my R9 and that made a world of difference in control for me. In my opinion, tho, it's the hooked extension that's making the biggest difference.

I won't be carrying the XR45, but I still want one to collect. Same with the XR9-L. There's just nothing quite like these designs and I love the fact, like the Rohrbaugh, that it's just one dude with a vision and is now realizing his American dream. And I'm pretty sure they didn't vote for Obama!  :P
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 07:26:56 PM »
You are right about the hooked extension--makes a lot of difference in tactile feel, purchase, and control.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 08:01:54 PM by tracker »

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 08:07:16 PM »
Here are a couple of new overlays from Boberg of his 45 comparing it to his 9mm and the Springfield's 45 XDS.  He is going with a 45 ACP/45 Super for sure now.  It will be too large to pocket carry for at least 75% of the purchasers in my opinion. 

For belt carry, a little larger pistol in the 45 ACP/Super would not hurt anything in my opinion.  I am on the wait list so we will see how it progresses I guess.  I wish him luck.

He will be at the SHOT Show in 2013.  That should help his cause.

http://community.bobergarms.com/forum/topics/45-gap-boberg?x=1&id=2312567%3ATopic%3A41210&page=26#comments

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 08:15:05 PM »
To me it's another pug Boberg and not any more attractive or desirable than the 9mm was.
 Like an old timer told me when I was young "someone has to like the ugly ones"  ;D
To each his own though.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 09:02:31 AM »
To me it's another pug Boberg and not any more attractive or desirable than the 9mm was.
 Like an old timer told me when I was young "someone has to like the ugly ones"  ;D
To each his own though.

I will have to agree with yankee on the ugly part.  I will add once you see one in person and pick it up and fire them your opinion changes fast.  The workmanship and detail is very good.  I am still up in the air about the XR45s being something I will want.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 08:51:32 PM »
I have held kj's Boberg and the workmanship looks first class, the feel in my hand was pretty good but not enough to make me want to drop a grand on one.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline smokemup

• NC Corvettes
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 09:54:02 PM »
You really have to shoot one to get over the looks thing. You can shoot a bunch of rounds thru the XR9-S and not have to lick your wounds. The R9 is not terrible, but I can't get through 3 or 4 mags without a beat up trigger finger. Pull is was too long on the R9, too. Sure wish someone would come up wit a fix for that! Get busy Yankee!! With all that being said, I have my Boberg up for sale. It's too ugly! What if I had to use it and the bad guy started saying stuff like....
"Where's the rest of your gun, toots?"
"Hey man, is the other half of your gun on layaway?"
While pointing his finger at me "Bwahahahahaha!"

;D

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2013, 11:25:57 AM »
I see Boberg is now taking orders for their  XR9-L long platform pistol. Fairly pricey for that type of pistol in my opinion. They will be showing it at the Shot Show in a couple of weeks.

I wish Arne well.  It appears to me that sales of his shorty are quickly falling off.

http://store.bobergarms.com/collections/firearms/products/xr9-l-long-platinum

Offline smokemup

• NC Corvettes
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2013, 12:15:24 PM »
I agree, and believe this is getting out of the 'niche' of small, powerful pocket pistols. The website is touting the XR9-L as a pocket pistol as well, but at just under 6" long, I don't think so. The Shorty is borderline "pocket" to me, but that's just me. On top of that, they decided to go with an accessory rail, of all things. For a pocket pistol? I dunno what the thinking was there. Now, on the other hand, the longer format reduces recoil and the claim is that it will now feel like shooting a .22 LR when using standard pressure loads. Pretty cool if so.

If it were me, I would focus on 'small, light, trigger, and looks' with what he's already developed. It's very comfortable to shoot (unlike my R9) which to me is huge since I'm going to want to keep a carry piece exercised and older rounds cycled out, just for confidence. If only the Shorty only had a slightly longer snout so it didn't look so chopped off, would bring a new 'visual' dimension. So, instead of 5.1", let's say it extends to 5.5" like the P238. The barrel would now be 3.7". Perhaps they're wanting to meet some sales requirements which require a minimum of 4.1" barrel length, like Canada, so hence the birth of the XR9-L??  I'll attach a pic of one I Photochopped some time back.

Offline Ljutic

• Master
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2013, 09:13:07 PM »
Perhaps they're wanting to meet some sales requirements which require a minimum of 4.1" barrel length, like Canada, so hence the birth of the XR9-L??

As I understand it, the XR9-L was the size that was originally planned to come to market first, but Arne was swayed by all the folks requesting a shorty come out first.  About the time I started tracking Boberg, there was also talk of a micro that was similar to the XR9-S, but with a shorter grip that held one less in the magazine.  I believe the micro is now a dead project.  If it's not dead, then you don't hear it talked about much any more.

Owner of, and sole contributor to the Pocket Guns and Gear Blog.  http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com