Author Topic: a word about range officers/gun shop employees  (Read 2636 times)

Offline accur8shot

a word about range officers/gun shop employees
« on: November 14, 2009, 07:53:01 PM »
Grrrr.  I need to vent this out.  I don't know if this is just a Florida thing or if some of you other folks have the same issues in your states, but many range officers and some gun store employees need a few lessons in manners... which is my politically correct way of saying they need to get slapped around a bit.

At the range, I've seen everything from range officers (er- range commandos) swarming on a newbie like drill sergeants on a private (more than once)... to them making racist remarks about a latino who had just filled out his range card.  And what gives them the right to come over and handle my firearms when the line is called cold?  Get your freaking hands off my rigs, idiot.  

Today, I had to leave after driving 45 minutes each way and waiting an hour and a half for range time... because the douchebag range kid said my Rohrbaugh was loaded when I took it out of my bag.  But I did not have a round chambered.  I was on the rifle range - I only bring my pistols to fill in the gaps.  I understand the Florida statute to define 'loaded' as 'in a person's hand and readily accessible for immediate discharge.' (790.151).  To me that means 'chambered'.  Does anyone feel/know differently?

The kid was saying 'Sorry, sir - rule #2. No loaded firearms. You have to go home today.'  I tried to reason with him, I told him how long the wait was, I told him he's seen me there multiple times.  He said 'Sorry, sir - rule #2.'  I wanted to squeeze his pencil-type neck.  

I've been going to ranges longer than that kid's been on earth.  9 times out of 10 I remove my mags.  But not always - if I don't have a chambered round in a pistol, I don't feel compelled to drop the mag.  But after today, I'd love to get the advice of someone who really knows the law well.  Any Florida LEOs or legal eagles in here that can clarify the definition of 'loaded' in Florida law?  Not that it changes many things - the range can enforce their own definition of 'loaded' at will, I suppose.  But I would still like to know.  

Venting done. Thank you.  Over and out.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 07:53:25 PM by accur8shot »
Walther PPS * S&W 642 * CZ75D PCR * Intratec Tec-9 * FN Herstal TPS Shotgun * FN SCAR 16S * S&W M&P15 * LWRC M6A2 * DPMS LR308 * TDI Kriss SBR * Rohrbaugh R9s Stealth * Safari Arms 1911 * Ruger MkIII

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: a word about range officers/gun shop employees
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 10:03:01 PM »
I can sympathize with your frustration. Clerks rule the world in a situation like this when one has to abide by their rules and "company policy." The definition of "loaded", right or wrong, is at their discretion and you can be asked to leave for any reason that is justifiable in their mind. This is why I joined a private shooting range, at a reasonable cost,
where you are given a combination lock code, go in and shoot at your leisure with as many guns as you want, and, if there is anyone else there, all are polite, courteous, and safe.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 10:04:37 PM by tracker »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 11:03:53 PM »
I can also understand how you feel.  I can't answer your question about Florida law and I, too, am a member of a private shooting club with over a hundred acres.  We are issued a key to the lock to get in and a badge.  As long as we wear the clip on badge, do not abuse any clean up rules, don't destroy our property, no one bothers us and everyone is friendly and polite.  

Hope your next range visit is more enjoyable.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 12:47:26 PM »
tracker, there is a place like that in Houston??  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 01:37:29 PM »

Yes, sir. It is called Bayou Rifle Club and it is wonderful.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 06:24:15 PM »
I call them "Gun Kounter Kommandoes," attribute their attitude to a basic lack of self esteem, and usually find them to be vaguely amusing. There is no doubt, however, that these self-appointed "X-spurts" (unknown quantities of liquid under high pressure) can be truly irritating at times.  
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 12:50:01 AM »
Tracker, I didn't know you were a member of BRC?  So am I.  Do you shoot in Juliff or Addison, mostly?
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline P7Enigma

• Master
  • VENI VIDI VICI
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 11:48:19 AM »
Accu-,

Unfortunately, a privately owned range can implement any rule it wants. If they wanted, they could make you bring your weapons to the range unassembled! ::)

I agree that it stinks but, as others have mentioned above, find a nice "private" range that has zero "public" walk-in access. Some of the perps I have seen in these "public" ranges scare the daylights out of me not to mention the aforementioned "range gawkers". I shoot suppressed sniper type rifles occasionally and other exotics and as soon as they are uncased...watchout!...here they come!

I know that geographical constraints sometimes hinders ones ability to go for a nice day of shooting, but try and find that "special" range that fills your needs. A nice stress free day of shooting will far out weight the "drive to and fro" and the BS factor of a public range.

What area of Florida are you in? I may be able to suggest a few places.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 11:48:54 AM by P7Enigma »
DISCLAIMER The above post is not to be taken lightly nor seriously. Any readers "interpretation" of the post was purely intentional

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 12:44:58 PM »

Aglifter,

I usually shoot at Juliff and was there last Friday.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 05:16:50 PM »
+1  (East TX)

Reinz

I can sympathize with your frustration. Clerks rule the world in a situation like this when one has to abide by their rules and "company policy." The definition of "loaded", right or wrong, is at their discretion and you can be asked to leave for any reason that is justifiable in their mind. This is why I joined a private shooting range, at a reasonable cost,
where you are given a combination lock code, go in and shoot at your leisure with as many guns as you want, and, if there is anyone else there, all are polite, courteous, and safe.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE