Author Topic: Spammer Problems  (Read 6247 times)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Spammer Problems
« on: August 01, 2011, 11:16:53 AM »
The spammers are taking things to a whole new level, by actually using humans to feign interest in the forum and place spam links in their signature blocks.

First, I would ask that forum members not respond to any threads initiated by these spammers.  Second, I would ask that no one click on any of these odd links and give them any traffic.

I am considering blocking new members from signing up with a "hotmail" address.  A lot of the spammers use the hotmail service.  I have already blocked a lot of foreign domains.  This wouldn't affect exsting members.

Anyone think it's excluding too many legitimate people by blocking "hotmail" addresses from registering?
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
Re: Spammer Problems
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 11:46:33 AM »
   I don't know what percentage of the legitimate members have a hotmail address but someone using one who was seriously interested in joining could always open a different account.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 12:05:58 PM »
I think that is right.

I spoke with TechGuy this morning and he is talking about another enforcement solution.

Currently it takes Admin level access and about 90 seconds worth of work to delete a member, ban them completely, block their IP address, and delete the offending post.

He thinks he may be able to set up a "one-button" solution that could also be rolled out to certain deputized members of the board.  It may take a bit of time, but we are going to work on that as an additional enforcement tool.
Duane (DDGator)

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 12:57:05 PM »
Sounds good, Duane.  That'll be a big help!
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Robar233

• Master
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 06:15:25 PM »
Duane,

I use Hotmail, but I don't see the problem. If I wanted to join I would just send an email to you.
 I have seen the type of posts you are referring too and they should be blocked. I saw one guy commenting he wondered how well a "sharkskin gun" would work! Yeah, there is a guy I want on the range next to me!

Robar233

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 06:46:03 PM »
Don't worry -- that guy won't be on the range anywhere near you.  He is in a dank basement in the far east using "google translator" as best he can to try and fit in.

That may work on some forums, but its not likely to work here!

Duane (DDGator)

Offline Robar233

• Master
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 07:23:20 PM »
Duane,

Thanks for the good laugh. It was a rough Monday and I needed it!
 Plus I got bad news from Rohrbaugh today about custom serial numbers. Not to mention nothing said about a R45 release date or a Robar edition R45.
 Your comments and my laugh helped!

Robar233

Offline mz368

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 08:05:54 PM »
Robar233-

I talked to the factory about two months ago and they indicated the R45 might still be out by the next S.H.O.T. show, but no guarantees.  They also said Rohrbaugh's new distribution arrangements will likely preclude special or even reserved serial numbers.

Have they changed that assessment?

-MZ368

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 08:14:30 PM »
MZ,

I think that is correct.

Duane (DDGator)

Offline CaptBW

• Master
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 10:16:10 PM »
I use hotmail, but have an alternative address. Do what you must.
ACTA NON VERBA

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 11:05:14 PM »
Don't worry Capt, this should not affect any current members -- only people who try to sign up going forward with a hotmail account.

At least... I think that is how it will work.   ;)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 11:05:35 PM by admin »
Duane (DDGator)

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 09:47:23 AM »
Important information.  TTT

The spammers are taking things to a whole new level, by actually using humans to feign interest in the forum and place spam links in their signature blocks.

First, I would ask that forum members not respond to any threads initiated by these spammers.  Second, I would ask that no one click on any of these odd links and give them any traffic.

I am considering blocking new members from signing up with a "hotmail" address.  A lot of the spammers use the hotmail service.  I have already blocked a lot of foreign domains.  This wouldn't affect exsting members.

Anyone think it's excluding too many legitimate people by blocking "hotmail" addresses from registering?
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 02:17:00 PM »
I was going to suggest nuking anyone who puts links in their sig lines, but did not know if that would affect any legit members or not.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2011, 10:57:45 PM »
Irrelevant links are a sure ticket to the door!  Especially if you are a new member and you say your name is Peggy.
Duane (DDGator)