Author Topic: First Range Report  (Read 17116 times)

Offline docboss

• Sharpshooter
First Range Report
« on: December 19, 2012, 07:37:48 PM »
I took my Stealth to the range for its first trial. Shot 64 rounds of GD 115 (20), GD 147 (20), Lawman 115 (24), each at 7yds, and 14yds.
Results: No failures to load, fire or eject.
Recoil: Not as bad as expected, but I was "trained" to hold as much metal as possible so I used modified Weaver grip and stance. I hold the firearm as high as possible. With the slick and short grips my thenar space (area between thumb and forefinger) is going to be sore tomorrow.
Accuracy: I put 62 rounds in the center mass. The other two were "fliers" due to the guys shooting a Desert Eagle and a Tactical 12 gauge in the next lane. No "keyholes".
I have not cleaned or examined the firearm, but will report.
Given the number of complaints about failures with other R9's, I wonder if lubrication is the issue. I did a very thorough cleaning with Simple Green and treatment with FrogLube.
Questions/Comments?
PS. So far, the firearm (and dealer) has greatly exceeded my expectations.  ;D

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: First Range Report
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 07:52:35 PM »
Thanks for the great report. You sound like a happy camper and good news is most welcome now.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 08:37:38 PM by tracker »

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 08:54:36 AM »
* * * Given the number of complaints about failures with other R9's, I wonder if lubrication is the issue. I did a very thorough cleaning with Simple Green and treatment with FrogLube.
Questions/Comments?
PS. So far, the firearm (and dealer) has greatly exceeded my expectations.  ;D

1. What Tracker said.
2. You have "broken the code."  8)
3. Congratulations and thank you for that excellent range report.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline docboss

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 11:41:35 PM »
Today I did another thorough cleaning and examined the Stealth. It was pretty dirty, but cleaning was easy. I am very impressed with FrogLube. Perhaps I'll put something on the maintenance forum about it. Just three passes through the barrel and it looks like a mirror. Under magnification and bright light I found some very small filings in the frame but could not find the source. Naturally, there are more wear areas than before, but overall things look good. The recoil spring is about 1/4" shorter than the replacement. One of the mags is stiffer and makes loading the sixth round difficult.
This is probably the last report for a few days as my strong hand needs some time to recover. Not bad, but I have no desire to fire another 60+rounds. However, I will be "carrying" in a Galco IWB. Please send some info about VZ grips. Carbon or Textured?  ;)

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 08:05:03 AM »
Welcome DB.  Remember to tighten your grip screws after firing (do NOT overtighten!).  When cleaning the pistol, it sometimes helps to run a Q-tip into the screw holes to remove oil before replacing grips.  Yankee can provide small rubber O-rings for the grip screws that also tend to prevent loose grips (loose grip on the right side=failure).  You have discovered the secret:  good ammo, firm grip and proper lube works.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 10:36:24 AM »
Correction...pipecleaner, not Q-tip.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline docboss

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 05:18:31 PM »
That's ok. I would never use a Q-tip on a handgun and I am sure you would not either. I also stand corrected. My instructor has informed me that my GRIP is a Rob Leatham techinque and my STANCE is modified Weaver. Sorry Rob.  :-X

Offline docboss

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 11:14:41 PM »
Did my second range trial of my Stealth. I shot 12 rounds GD 115, 12 rounds GD 124, and 48 rounds Lawman 115. Fired as fast as I could with each mag of six at about 20 feet. I tried to simulate a panic situation with no chance to set and aim. All rounds hit in center mass but four. Each "miss" was the last round in the mag. No "keyholes", failures to feed or fire. I did have a failure to eject on the last round of the magazine with the strongest spring. After firing all six rounds, I removed the mag, and when clearing the chamber, had a spent cartridge eject. Can someone explain this? I am getting accustomed to the recoil. The guys at the range had never seen a Rohrbaugh. They were very impressed. So much so that they started laughing about Keltecs and Kahrs in comparison. When I told them the price, they stopped laughing. I will clean and examine the firearm and report. So far the "pup" has greatly exceeded my expectations. ;)

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 11:40:33 PM »
Hey Doc, glad to hear your range times where successful!

As far as that one FTE on the last round, I would not worry.  It may be a  fluke.  Or fatique, or a subconscientious mental thing.  You said it was the last round, right?  Well, if you anticipated this in the back of your mind, you could have backed off on your grip as soon as pulled the trigger.  Thus, loosing your stable platform for ejection and feeding.
Keep in mind rapid firing, especially multiple times, will wear the best of us down.

Hope This Helps

NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline docboss

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 12:32:49 AM »
Thanks. The thought had occurred to me that this might have been a "limp wrist" issue or an "out of spec" cartridge. I must admit, the accuracy and handling of this firearm has been nothing less than startling. I realize it may be as much the grip and stance as design, ammo or materials. I will say that my hand is pretty beat up and a new spring is probably in order.  And although my results at the range were much better than expected, the groups tended to move lower left as I tired. This will probably be my last range report as I have enough confidence in the Rohrbaugh to carry it routinely and practice periodically. :o

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 09:54:22 AM »
Thanks. The thought had occurred to me that this might have been a "limp wrist" issue or an "out of spec" cartridge. I must admit, the accuracy and handling of this firearm has been nothing less than startling. I realize it may be as much the grip and stance as design, ammo or materials. I will say that my hand is pretty beat up and a new spring is probably in order.  And although my results at the range were much better than expected, the groups tended to move lower left as I tired. This will probably be my last range report as I have enough confidence in the Rohrbaugh to carry it routinely and practice periodically. :o
(Emphasis supplied.)

Thank you for that good range report.

The groups moving lower left as you tired would be consistent with the guidance of this diagnostic target developed by the U. S. Army Marksmanship Unit -- i.e., perhaps using too little trigger finger, breaking the wrist, and/or jerking the trigger due to fatigue:

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline docboss

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 10:17:00 AM »
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have a couple of issues that should be rectified. The size of the Rohrbaugh, relative to my hand, will always create a less than ideal situation. I have large hands and very long fingers. As such, my grip results in a compromised trigger finger position. There is no way I can pull the trigger, with its long double action pull, straight back. This results in a rotation of my hand that pulls down and left. My grip can compensate for awhile, but after six mags of shooting, it starts to weaken. And, my grip on this firearm must be tight. Fortunately the trigger pull is so smooth on the Rohrbaugh that I can fire very accurately in a "fire fight" situation at close range. This is one of the reasons I cannot fire a Keltec, Kahr or even a J-frame with the same accuracy. Only the Solo and the P238 give me similar accuracy, but they have issues of their own. Interesting stuff, eh? What really looks good, but I have not found one yet, is the H&K P7. Have anyone fired one?

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 11:49:08 AM »
I dry fired a P7 and was not thrilled with the feel, but have not been able to shoot one.  Richard S. does, I believe, carry one regularly and loves it...some literature suggests it may be the quickest response pistol.  I would love to shoot one, but no one I know has one nearby.
John
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2013, 12:01:37 PM »
I dry fired a P7 and was not thrilled with the feel, but have not been able to shoot one.  Richard S. does, I believe, carry one regularly and loves it...some literature suggests it may be the quickest response pistol.  * * *

Yo!   8)

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2013, 12:11:23 PM »
Love my HK P7M8 - I could fill a forum with all the good things I have to say about this marvel of German engineering: