Author Topic: 22 LR as a defensive weapon  (Read 10930 times)

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
22 LR as a defensive weapon
« on: March 12, 2013, 11:52:09 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdr14xVetXM

22 LR as a defensive weapon??
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
Re: 22 LR as a defensive weapon
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 02:08:23 AM »
Yawwwwn...Duh!....Yawwwwn,,,No Thanks!

No reflection on you Jack!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 02:15:43 AM by Reinz »
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 10:34:11 AM »
While a .22 LR is better than nothing, I see two major flaws in that video:

1.  Citing the Israeli Mossad's prior issuance and effective use of the .22 LR Berettas is misleading. The Mossad hardly intended those Beretta 70s and 71s for "defensive" purposes.

2.  Citing the ability of a .22 LR to render an attacker "unwilling" to continue an attack cannot reasonably be expected to apply to a hopped-up crack or meth head who may be so impervious to pain he won't even know he's been hit by a .22 round -- until sometime after he's left you for dead.

However, I do find the video's final conclusion to be valid.  It's hard to beat a shotgun as an ultimate self-defense weapon.

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 01:58:19 PM »
.22 pistol is perhaps useful defensively in the weak hands of a small woman...however professionals use them with short loads for close range head shots whereby the round bounces around inside the skull and liquifies the brain.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 07:35:22 PM »
While I consider the .22LR inadequate for personal defense, I agree with the others.  It's better than nothing at all.  I'm a big fan of the Ruger 10/22 rifles and believe in most circumstances, I could use it effectively as a standoff weapon on my property.  Not the best choice, but I believe I could make it work.  If I could only have one gun and all the ammo I could carry...it would be the Ruger 10/22.
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline the_skunk

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 02:08:18 PM »
A 22 revolver is ok - but a 22 auto is too risky because of duds.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 02:47:36 PM »
A 22 revolver is ok - but a 22 auto is too risky because of duds.

. . . and occasional feeding issues due to that long, slender cartridge.  Witness: my old 1960s- vintage Walther PPK chambered for .22 LR.  That little bi**h would also occasionally bite the hand that fed it if held with too high a grip -- the infamous old "Walther Bite" before the tang was extended a bit in later production. (I can still see the faint scar in the web of my right hand left behind by that little masterpiece.)

Don't ask why I no longer own that "bloodthirsty" little PPK.  The story is a sad one involving a temporary lapse in judgment.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Ljutic

• Master
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 04:23:58 PM »
I actually did 3 tests, but have only published this one so far.  http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/2012/12/winchester-22-lr-36-grain-hp-555-bulk.html

It did much better than I anticipated, and I found some new respect for the double deuce.  Would I ever recommend it?  Probably not.  Would I want to be on the receiving end?  Definitely not.
Owner of, and sole contributor to the Pocket Guns and Gear Blog.  http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 05:29:03 PM »

I would be interested in some data on the .22WMR.

Offline Ljutic

• Master
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 09:39:48 PM »

I would be interested in some data on the .22WMR.

I realized that 22 WMR was still a gap in my testing so I've been diligently shopping for a NAA 1 5/8" 22 LR/22 WMR convertible.  Unfortunately my realization came AFTER the sharp spike in demand so I'm watching and waiting for one to hit one of my usual sources.

Owner of, and sole contributor to the Pocket Guns and Gear Blog.  http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 09:58:31 PM »

Thanks; you do good work. It appears that some of the latest .22WMR ammo has elevated the ballistics. I didn't know about the NAA shortage.

Offline Ljutic

• Master
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 09:08:02 AM »

Thanks; you do good work. It appears that some of the latest .22WMR ammo has elevated the ballistics. I didn't know about the NAA shortage.

Thanks and when I saw Critical Defense and Gold Dot Short Barrel in .22 WMR, I knew it was time to get serious about testing them.  Taking a long view of 22 WMR testing since I can't get a sniff of pistol or ammo at the moment.

Offline Ljutic

• Master
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2013, 10:38:34 AM »
NAA must have shipped a bunch of stuff out in April.  My local dealer was out of conversions one week and the next week had a bunch in stock.  Grips came in last week so it's all ready to go.  1 5/8" Wasp with 22lr and 22WMR cylinders.  Hot Diggity!

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2013, 02:04:33 PM »

Very nice, indeed. I have the same thing in a plain jane version of WMR and will look forward to your ballistics results.

Offline Ljutic

• Master
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2013, 02:36:41 PM »

Very nice, indeed. I have the same thing in a plain jane version of WMR and will look forward to your ballistics results.

Will you please sell me some Gold Dot SB and Hornady Critical Defense so I can test them?  Ammo is the hold up now.  I have alerts set up at the usual places, but who knows when it will get back in stock.