Author Topic: 1911's. Not for now. I'm back in black (G27/33)  (Read 20697 times)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
1911's. Not for now. I'm back in black (G27/33)
« on: November 22, 2015, 05:57:06 PM »
Of the nicer 1911's like night hawk, Ed brown and Wilson etc, what is the way to go?

Thinking...

If I did get one I would want a lightweight commander.

Obviously opinions are what I'm after so let them rip if you have them.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 10:14:33 PM by JoshA »
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 06:12:45 PM by tracker »

Offline johnny

• Master
Re: 1911's
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 06:06:54 AM »
   Well I can give you my 2 cents worth.
  A couple of years ago I decided I wanted to get a 1911.May have gone back to my days in the army.I don't know.The first one I bought was a Kimber Master Carry.3inch barrel.Looked nice,but too many malfunctions for my taste.Took it back to where I got it and traded up to a Knighthawk T3 he had in stock.It has pretty much been the pistol I have used in my league the last 2 years.A bit too heavy to carry comfortably,it's great for league.No issues.Not too long after I bought it I wanted another one,more or less as a keepsake to pass down.
      This time I special ordered it.And what I ordered was an Ed Brown Kobra light weight,with my military id number as the gun's serial number.A couple bucks more,but not much.
         Now,here is what I have learned,in my opinion.3 inch barrels ,at least a few years back ,are too short for the 1911.Supposedly a reliability issue having to do with the recoil spring.4,25 inch barrel seems to be ok. Both my Nighthawk and my Ed Brown are that size,and neither has had any issues.
      Now the down side to the lightweight.The frame scratches rather easy I have noticed.However,in defense of the Ed Brown company,I believe this possibility is mentioned in their brochure.
        I guess one last thing.It took awhile to get used to carrying it cocked and locked,psychological and nothing more.
                                                                                                                                   My 2 cents,
                                                                                                                                    Johnny

Offline Magrred

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 08:13:19 AM »
For those in the know, where does the Les Baer Custom fit in for being a top shelf 1911?

Offline tattoo

• Master
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 08:19:18 AM »
Check ou Christian arms...Damascus slide...l ;D

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 08:48:06 AM »
I have owned and still own numerous 1911's. My experience has been that the Kimbers are pretty, but unreliable. You can spend the big bucks for the Wilsons, Ed Browns, Nighthawks, Caspians, and many more. They are all excellent in their own right. The one standout, IMO, are the Dan Wessons. Incredible quality at realistic prices...like almost half the big guys. I own a Dan Wesson Valor V-Bob. It is all the gun that all the others are. Now size. I own 3"'s, 3.6''s, 4''s & 4.6'"s. Years ago there were problems with the smaller sizes. Not now. A quality 3" or 3.6" is every bit as reliable as any other. JMO.
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 08:49:34 AM »
For those in the know, where does the Les Baer Custom fit in for being a top shelf 1911?

I live in the same metro area as Les Baer and his products are as good as any.  They are probably the best value buy of the "top line" 1911's out there.

That said, his product line is much more limited than the others.  He does not cater to the 'carry crowd'.  No light weight frames, no special coatings, etc.  He can sell all he makes so he sticks with pretty much the his standard line.  Mostly target types or Professional Carry, not CCW.

I have two of his 1911's.  They arrive new so tight that they are nearly impossible to take down.  Les recommends that you put at least 500 rounds through his pistols before the first cleaning.  They are all guaranteed to shoot 3" groups at 50 yards.  He tests all his guns out of a ransom rest and for $150 more you get one that shoots 1.5" at 50 yards.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 10:25:14 AM »
It is interesting to note the "full cycle technology" of the Cabot Commanders which is designed to maintain the internals of the original Browning full size model for cycling reliability, etc. Teddy Jacobson does not recommend any 1911 barrel shorter than 4.25 inches, but, no doubt, some of the newer short models are reliable now.

I agree on the value aspect of the Dan Wesson: high quality, no MIM parts, custom features, and fit and finish for the money. There must be a reason that there are very few lightweight Commanders in the blue blood's line-up.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 12:32:11 PM by tracker »

Offline johnny

• Master
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 11:37:15 AM »
   I guess I see 1911's making a few changes lately.
     You can spend from maybe a low of around what, $500.00 up to who knows for a 1911 these days.Rock island Arms I have heard makes a good quality 1911,reasonably priced.And Wilson Combat makes a 1911 in 9mm. with a 3.6 inch barrel and a weight of 25.2 ounce for $3875.00.We kind of choose where we throw our money.

Offline Magrred

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2015, 01:44:12 PM »

I live in the same metro area as Les Baer and his products are as good as any.  They are probably the best value buy of the "top line" 1911's out there.

That said, his product line is much more limited than the others.  He does not cater to the 'carry crowd'.  No light weight frames, no special coatings, etc.  He can sell all he makes so he sticks with pretty much the his standard line.  Mostly target types or Professional Carry, not CCW.

Thank you for your input. My local firearm dealer got one in in almost new condition. While I have certainly heard the name, this is the first time that I have ever seen one. Needless to say it was impressive in its quality from its looks and yes it was very tight in its handling. I have 1911's in Colt and Kimber but this one just seemed different. May have to take a second look. Thanks again.

I have two of his 1911's.  They arrive new so tight that they are nearly impossible to take down.  Les recommends that you put at least 500 rounds through his pistols before the first cleaning.  They are all guaranteed to shoot 3" groups at 50 yards.  He tests all his guns out of a ransom rest and for $150 more you get one that shoots 1.5" at 50 yards.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2015, 04:34:22 PM »

Here is one that I wouldn't have thought about but it fits the OP bill other than being expensive. It looks like it is well made but I suspect it has some MIM parts. Ruger has put it through some rigorous testing:

http://www.ruger.com/products/sr1911/specSheets/6711.html

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 09:46:50 AM »
I bought my son a Wilson Combat for his 40th...a wonderful piece and a pleasure to shoot.  I own an Ed Brown Special Forces that is every bit as wonderful also....both are, however, full size 1911's.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2015, 10:00:57 AM »
PS:  I own and carry a Kimber Ultra CDPII with the 3" barrel that has been ultra reliable for years, and is quite accurate as well.  It carries well and is relatively inexpensive to purchase.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2015, 11:12:53 AM »
I don't think you can go wrong with any of the aforementioned upscale 1911s like Ed Brown, Nighthawk, Les Baer, Wilson,etc.. However, I would certainly want to to look, see, and feel anything I bought in that range. One thing that I learned from this post is that "Commander" is a Colt trade mark. In 1943, they received a trade mark status for "Commander" and in 2003 they were given one for "Combat Commander." Ruger, for example, calls their version a "CMD."

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2015, 05:00:54 PM »
Interesting Tracker. One of the other pistols in the pile I'm kicking around is an original Colt CCO (not current production). I understand it's not a higher end piece, but I feel like it would suit my needs and make a great carry 1911.

I do have a Kimber ultra carry II and have also found it to be very reliable and easy to carry Backup 9, but I am kinda looking to get into that slightly longer, commander length barrel.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)